Post a pic of your axe

After a bit of knowledge. What’s the best way to sort out this high/unseated fret?

Logon or register to see this image

been shimming the neck off my Jags and Jazzmasters and dropping the action and found I miraculously got the same note on 15-17th fret :lol:
As @mackemglastoid said, a rubber mallet. Gently tap it whilst supporting the neck with your other hand directly beneath where you’re hitting.

Does the fret push down with finger pressure then lift back up?

If the mallet failed to make it sit again with light tapping I’d hold it down and wick thin super glue underneath - make a caul and clamp lightly till it is sat and apply the glue with a toothpick or something along the edge of the fret.

Does the fret push down with finger pressure then lift back up?

If the mallet failed to make it sit again with light tapping I’d hold it down and wick thin super glue underneath - make a caul and clamp lightly till it is sat and apply the glue with a toothpick or something along the edge of the fret.

I’ve gone back up to have another look. Have a look at that one below. To me it looks like the fret slots not cut deep enough?

not the best pic but its the best I can get. the slot just doesn't look quite as deep, but on that photo above it looks like the fret wires twisted maybe?

Fender QC is a joke

Last edited:
I’ve gone back up to have another look. Have a look at that one below. To me it looks like the fret slots not cut deep enough?

not the best pic but its the best I can get. the slot just doesn't look quite as deep, but on that photo above it looks like the fret wires twisted maybe?

Fender QC is a joke

Looks like there’s enough slot to me, it is a blurry pic though. If it still feels tight a good tap should set it fine.

If this was the case the problem would've been there all the time.

If it was fine and now it's not it must've been seated properly and popped out a bit. 🤔

Probably always been there. I got the guitar in June last year. I’ve changed the bridge to a staytrem but I’ve never really set the action properly as I’d always planned to shim it and then set it which I got around to today. Also it’s on the 19th fret and everything up 16 plays fine and if I honest I’m not one for blistering solos that far down the board :lol:

Probably always been there. I got the guitar in June last year. I’ve changed the bridge to a staytrem but I’ve never really set the action properly as I’d always planned to shim it and then set it which I got around to today. Also it’s on the 19th fret and everything up 16 plays fine and if I honest I’m not one for blistering solos that far down the board :lol:
It does look in one of the pictures like the tang is a little bit crooked which may be why it's not seating properly.
I'd be tempted to remove the fret, straighten the tang out and clean the slot and have a go at trying to get it seated properly.
Having said that most of my guitars are cheapish partscasters/self build kits.
I'd be less inclined to mess about on something expensive.

It does look in one of the pictures like the tang is a little bit crooked which may be why it's not seating properly.
I'd be tempted to remove the fret, straighten the tang out and clean the slot and have a go at trying to get it seated properly.
Having said that most of my guitars are cheapish partscasters/self build kits.
I'd be less inclined to mess about on something expensive.
I would be more inclined to seek out a Luthier in this case and wouldn't like to mess about and potentially get more permanent damage with something of this expense.

Fender QC is a joke

Aye, it looks bent. Can't imagine that naturally happening to the guitar after it was built. As someone else said, you'd want to straighten it out before putting back in.

Last edited:

Back