Post a pic of your axe

The wiring looks like stuff I have seen (along with the pickups) on the bog standard cheapo strat copies you used to see in China - often Fender branded. I suspect you may have one of them or even a kit strat - but like you say for 40 quid the neck and body are worth it.

Actually kit would make sense as there's no other colour on it than the blue which was plainly not factory.
I have always got far too excessive with lemon oil. When I first discovered it I was obsessed and did all my guitars including a Tele copy I owned.

It had a maple neck!

:lol:

Actually kit would make sense as there's no other colour on it than the blue which was plainly not factory.

:lol:
May I suggest you could have a go at Relic ing the guitar.

Not everyones cup of tea but the Fender Custom Shop relics vast numbers of new customer orders every day so the whole concept is huge.

There are loads of videos on YouTube to get ideas.

Then stand by with a big bunch of keys!

May I suggest you could have a go at Relic ing the guitar.

Not everyones cup of tea but the Fender Custom Shop relics vast numbers of new customer orders every day so the whole concept is huge.

There are loads of videos on YouTube to get ideas.

Then stand by with a big bunch of keys!

Not sure it shows through on any of those photographs, but I've left the natural relic on the guitar. The rounded edge near the jack has very thin paint which is almost worn through and the neck has lost a lot of lacquer on the back and has that nice grainy look but is smooth under the fingers.

Oddly I watched a video on YouTube from Wilsons guitars about making a Frusciante Strat copy which is what set me down the road of wanting to go back to a Strat.

if you have 20 minutes...

watch

Not sure it shows through on any of those photographs, but I've left the natural relic on the guitar. The rounded edge near the jack has very thin paint which is almost worn through and the neck has lost a lot of lacquer on the back and has that nice grainy look but is smooth under the fingers.

Oddly I watched a video on YouTube from Wilsons guitars about making a Frusciante Strat copy which is what set me down the road of wanting to go back to a Strat.

if you have 20 minutes...

watch
Good video. There are loads like it. I have a perfect candidate for doing that myself - I have an old strat (not vintage just old and crap) in storage which I could use I just lack the skill.

And motivation.

My #1 guitar is a 20 y/o MIJ Jaguar and owned from new and everything is fine on that. Have made one upgrade and swapped out the terrible original bridge for a mustang one. That Jazzmaster was just wrong.

Had a good play with the new one yesterday and it just needs the action dropped.
The story of how I got my Japanese Jaguar was great… I think that I may have posted it earlier on this thread, albeit my memory is fading!
I suspect that he could get the same sound from most Strat’s if they were set up the same and the pick ups matched as close as possible!

Last edited:
The story of how I got my Japanese Jaguar was great… I think that I may have posted it earlier on this thread, albeit my memory is fading!

I suspect that he could get the same sound from most Strat’s if they were set up the same and the pick ups matched as close as possible!

I'll have a search back in a few minutes :cool:

Finished the Strat off tonight

Logon or register to see this image

Neck set, action set, intonation done. 99% pleased with it. Stupidly didn't replace the tuners and found out one of them is a bit shitty. It'll do for now, and I left a load of length on the strings so I can undo them if needs be and replace the tuners.

Bought a new Epiphone Les Paul Standard '50s in Metallic Gold around 18 months ago but really haven't used it much.

Thinking of selling it and using the money to get a 2nd hand telecaster (never had one before) + either a bunch of pedals for it or 2nd hand acoustic too

As much as I like playing guitar at home I realised there is no point owning a new shiny thing if I don't play it much. May as well go 2nd hand and get as much as I can for my money.

Last edited:
I'll have a search back in a few minutes :cool:

Finished the Strat off tonight

Logon or register to see this image

Neck set, action set, intonation done. 99% pleased with it. Stupidly didn't replace the tuners and found out one of them is a bit shitty. It'll do for now, and I left a load of length on the strings so I can undo them if needs be and replace the tuners.

I did a quick search, I touched on it but didn’t tell the full story.

All these years later I’ll tell it again. I may get some bits slightly wrong but here goes.

Right, the story was something like this…. My memory has faded a bit so I may have got this slightly wrong. I was living in Houston and I used to check Craigslist every day for guitars. This day a Fender Highway 1 Telecaster comes up for sale so I ring up and enquire. The guy sounds a bit panicked and pissed off, as he explained that him and his Mrs had split up and he had to sell many, if not all of his guitars. He wanted $600 for the guitar with a Fender Tweed hard case. I gave him my e-mail address and asked him to send some photos.

Sure enough, the photos landed. I wanted the guitar, so nipped out to the bank and withdrew $600. Whilst I was there, I thought that I should offer him less and see what he says. I went back to work and sent him an e-mail offering $400 to purchase that afternoon. Much to my surprise, he accepted… and responded with some photos of a beautiful CIJ Fender Jaguar in CAR.

I responded and asked if we could meet somewhere public to buy the Tele, but also asked if he could bring the Jag along as well to view. I was sensing a deal was to be done, but didn’t want appear too keen. Much to my dismay, he said, sorry but I would have to visit their house as he and his wife were clearing much of their stuff out and going their separate ways on that day. This made me very nervous, Houston is a dangerous place when it comes to guns and I never wanted to rock up to addresses with money in my pocket. He e-mailed me his address….. I looked up where this was and it was quite an expensive area, with nice houses, so I thought fuck it, it won’t hurt to drive to the house and just check out the outside to assess if it looked okay.

So off I went, I had $600 in my pocket and thought that I’ll put that in the glove compartment so that if I chose to enter the house, I would have to go back outside to get the cash.

I got to the house, a quite lovely place with some activity around it. I decided to go ahead, I approached the door and knocked, a big guy answered holding his mobile to his phone as he was on a call… he said “Peter?” I said yes, he just pointed into a room…. He was obviously busy, but incredibly arrogant in his demeanour. The room was full of acoustic guitars, all hanging on all walls. The Tele case was on a sofa and there were people in the house packing boxes etc. I checked the Tele and thought, bargain an American made Tele with tweed hard case for $400. So I’m in this room and he doesn’t come back, next his wife, or soon to be ex-wife, comes in and she says, “has he just just left you here?”, I responded positively, and she said something like “he is such a dick. What price did you agree?”.. I told her $400. She said okay and asked if I wanted anymore of his guitars. I told her that I wanted to view the Jaguar but it wasn’t in the room. She then told me that he has loads of guitars in other rooms but if I could describe it, she would check as he was obviously too busy to even grant me the courtesy of dealing with me properly. I told her that I had photos that her husband had sent earlier and handed her the printout.

So off she went, I looked at all these acoustics and then she returned after 5 or 6 minutes. She said, this is it and handed me the case……It was a stunner. She asked if I wanted it and I said that we hadn’t agreed a price for the Jag. She asked me what I was paying for the Tele and I said $400. She asked is this one better and I said, well the Tele was made in America whilst this was made in Japan. She said, okay $200, I said are you sure? She said yes, he has dragged you out here and been totally disrespectful $200 and it is yours. I went out to the car and paid the woman. Walked away with a beautiful Jaguar and Tele for a total outlay of $600.

I wrote to the guy and said, that I had bought the Jaguar at quite a reduced price as I paid what his wife had asked, offering to return it if he was unhappy about it. He responded and apologised for the way that he had treated me and said, you got a bargain but that was his fault as he left his wife to deal with it, his loss my gain.

Last edited:
Where've you gotten £50k from?

All 50 of em sold yesterday. They’re doing another custom shop run next year which I’m guessing will be with no Brazilian rosewood so will be sold worldwide.
The tragedy is that these pieces will end up most likely in the hands of wealthy collectors and rarely be played.

The price is probably fair given its using RIO and the time invested tIn the making and ageing will have been huge.

Just the way it is I suppose, they sold them all within 24hours like so I guess you’re right! Gibson have apparently put a ban on the buyers selling them on for so many years. Not sure how they can enforce it.
I’d absolutely love a greeny mind :lol:

Last edited:

I'm sure he could, most strats sound pretty much the same to me, never seen the fuss, but I suppose when you get intimate with any guitar, you get accustomed to the detail in the sound, aye the Jag story was weird mate, How's the boy coming along Pete, he must be pretty good now eh?

All 50 of em sold yesterday. They’re doing another custom shop run next year which I’m guessing will be with no Brazilian rosewood so will be sold worldwide.
Bloody hell. Mind, it's a highly thought of guitar in the Les Paul community, and this is the first time they've done a proper replica of it. The old Moore signatures were just an aesthetic copy I think. Possibly had the flipped magnet in the pup, but I'm not sure.

I'd be interested to try one just to test out the out-of-phase neck pick up.

There's a lot of pictures of Moore with the guitar and the pickup's orientation corrected. He must have turned it back around at some point - or a subsequent collector did before Hammett bought it. I assume the magnet wasn't corrected.

In a few generations, will all these 'priceless' guitars divebomb in value due to few being alive that care about them or the era of music they represent?

Imo a lot of the price is tied into some illusory 'mojo' factor that will disappear along with the generations that buy into it.

Last edited:
In a few generations, will all these 'priceless' guitars divebomb in value due to few being alive that care about them or the era of music they represent?
I can’t see it - there is a finite number of “bursts“ and most now are known. There are still a few missing presumed lost so as more get broken lost or die the value should increase.

A lot of old Fenders are worth good money now too.

I'm sure he could, most strats sound pretty much the same to me, never seen the fuss, but I suppose when you get intimate with any guitar, you get accustomed to the detail in the sound, aye the Jag story was weird mate, How's the boy coming along Pete, he must be pretty good now eh?
Yeah, he is…. You’d be surprised, he is in his twenties now!
The tragedy is that these pieces will end up most likely in the hands of wealthy collectors and rarely be played.

The price is probably fair given its using RIO and the time invested tIn the making and ageing will have been huge.
All this pricing by tagging a name and mimicking some scratches, a neck profile and pickup placement is ridiculous. Marketing madness. I sort of get the price being crazy when it is the actual guitar and the provenance of that, but even then they are still just a guitar.

I have some nice guitars but don’t think that I have ever paid any stupid money.
My regret was not buying a Fraser guitar when they first started being produced. His Telecasters are a real thing of beauty and were originally only £795.

Last edited:
Yeah, he is…. You’d be surprised, he is in his twenties now!

All this pricing by tagging a name and mimicking some scratches, a neck profile and pickup placement is ridiculous. Marketing madness. I sort of get the price being crazy when it is the actual guitar and the provenance of that, but even then they are still just a guitar.

I have some nice guitars but don’t think that I have ever paid any stupid money.
I have 1 expensive one but not crazy money. I don’t play it live as I have seen too many get damaged by drunken idiots so it lives in its case.

It’s an acoustic.

A Lowden 032 custom order built by George.

It took me 18 months to get it sorted and there was an amazing story too which I don’t want to share publicly but I will send you later.

Back