Portsmouth (H) memories

Was it Portsmouth when John Kay finally "scored"

Millwall marra.

I have a very vague memory of the Mags playoff season, we won 1-0 with a late goal, I think anyway. No idea who scored it sadly.

Just checked and it seems I'm very wrong, we blew a 2-0 lead late on that season, 2-2 FT

Last edited:
The 4-1 at Roker stands out for me - great game and the first time I came to realise what twats Portsmouth fans generally are. Four grown men running from their transit to take digs at 14 year old kids then running back to their van to escape. An old guy pissing against a wall and a Portsmouth fan bangs his head of the wall as he passes - he got some retribution for it mind.

Richardson's best game for us was v them. Started as a number 10 iirc and ran Campbell ragged. Thought Stokes was decent from wide right that day too

Beating them at Roker Park and spoiling their promotion.
Running on the pitch at fulltime and jumping on Martin Gray for his top which he never gave me.
Fisty cuffs afterwards.
Taylor's underappreciated goal at the SOL.

I hope history repeats itself today, the Pompey fans appear to have same arrogant attitude regarding this fixture, turn up and we Will win

Just blows everyone’s opinion out of the water doesn’t it that most of our fans were premier league fans.

Apart from the Reidy seasons and the Newcastle matches I didn't like it at all. 'Thought it was boring as fuck and difficult to warm to a load of players on far too much money and some of them on loan for a season. Aye, you'd see some good players come here but watching the likes of Arsenal pass the ball around all day wasn't for me.

The players now might lack top flight quality but they're fully committed, and they're games of English football which makes a difference. I have no problem with foreign players, and I don't go along with the argument that they're preventing home grown players from developing. But, at the same time, I like our style of playing football: high tempo, get forward at the first opportunity and so on; and that's what I want to watch.

It's an attractive league for watching football because it's more an English style of football and the players seem nowhere near as disconnected from the fans as the millionaires in the top flight.

Back