Port

Status
Not open for further replies.
Off topic a bit but I had Ice wine sent over from Canada last Christmas.....I din't really get it.....sweet as fuck...

I've got three or four bottles of the stuff in my drink cupboard. I have no idea where they came from. I've never drank it in my life

Does anyone drink this at any other time than Christmas?
the Mrs (stuck a pic up years ago, tough) said we should get a bottle, but we've got last years left..got me thinking though, is it still a popular drink or dying out?
Port doesn't keep that long, about the same as wine...definitely should be drank within a couple of weeks from opening.

i like a good glass of port, got a 10 year old tawny sat there that'll be getting opened on friday.
i'm no connoisseur but i think there is a difference between a good one and a taylors/cockburns from asda. not that they're bad in fact they're really good as long as they have the white seal on the neck.
i usually fetch a bottle or two back from portugal, stuff you can't really get here.

the Mrs (stuck a pic up years ago, tough) said we should get a bottle, but we've got last years left..got me thinking though, is it still a popular drink or dying out?
I've bought a taylors late bottled vintage, meant to be canny and was less than a tenner. Aldi are selling a 40 year old for £35, had it before though and IMO too woody. I enjoy it any time of the year but rarely buy it at any other time than Xmas.

Love dessert wine, ive got a garage full of the stuff. I think I'm the only one who buys it as I go round the supermarkets after Xmas and get it all dead cheap. Picked up a merlot icewine in Canada a few months ago which looks interesting.

For this year's Xmas port I've got the Aldi 40 year old stuff as I had it last year and quite enjoyed it. Got a 1997 Colheita sitting open in the kitchen at the moment as well which goes down quite nicely.

Had a taste of warres 1937 vintage...probably about 30 years ago...was like a beautiful mouthful with a texture of silk and cream....rarely drink it but always enjoy it when I have it and say ' I must get a bottle in '

Went to Porto in 2004 with @Onlyfoolsrushin and had a tour of one of the port houses prior to the Germany v Holland game and bought a bottle of white port which was canny

Last edited:

My 92 year old mother who has pretty much been anti drinking her entire life (My dad RIP liked a drink a little too much and so do my 4 brothers and 3 sisters and me!!), likes a little glass of port before bed. When I say a little glass, I mean about as much mouthwash as I use in the morning, but she likes it and it helps her sleep. She drinks tiny ammounts of it and a bottle lasts her a month or more. She is in a home now and needs nothing really as everything is provided, so the Port is the only practical present you can buy her.

Last edited:
Is it not port that the church uses for communion???

Always like a bit port at Christmas, useful with cheese or cigars and a decent hangover snifter.

Port, like a dog isn't just for Christmas, I'll have a glass most Saturday's usually to forget whatever SAFC have been up to, love it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back