RTG Poll: Jack Ross in or out? - poll closed

Jack Ross in or out?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I only know a couple left who are still behind him in “real life”. The support for him is all but disappearing.

It’s not too late for him mind, the crowd haven’t fully turned imo, it’s more disgruntlement and a shrug of the shoulders if he were to be sacked.

Still hope he turns it around, but I’m not convinced by him

Mentioned before, I voted in but only because results have, generally, been just about acceptable. I'd lose no sleep if he went and if the new owners had an ambitious appointment in mind I'd also happily see him gone. In terms of the crowd you make a good point, I think many see it similarly to me, not happy but not yet mad enough to be vocal in the ground about wanting him out.

It'll come to a head though. There's a chance results stay okay and performances stay shit but I think something will change. Either we keep getting decent results and performances improve, or the bad performances will catch up with us and we'll slip up more regularly. If we get about 6 points off the top 2 I think you'll find a poll like that is about 90% out and it'll turn at the ground as well. He's got very little leeway even from many who voted in imo

What is different to him and Moyes? Ross's 'football' , tactics and demeanour are on par with Moyes....if not worse.

Nowt marra, I just don't believe giving Ross stick would be good for the lads themselves. If I woke up in the morning to find out he'd quit I wouldn't bat an eyelid, his tactics are somewhere between negative and non existent.

Those in the "In" camp will think that we are 1 point behind the "required run rate" of 2 points a game which has delivered promotion from League One in great majority of seasons. They think that we haven't quite clicked yet and will get better as Willis, Dobson and even Grigg get bedded in.

Think you're making assumptions there, more on here are commenting about it being too early into the season yet than are saying we haven't quite clicked yet or saying they actually expect it to get better. There's also no one really to come back from injury to excuse it with, so there's nothing to hang onto other than results have been ok when looking at the overall inconsistency of the rest of the division.

It seems the embarrassment of sacking another manager and what others will think, maybe even the shit we'll take off those up the road, is playing as much part in their thoughts (going purely off this forum) than an idea that we're going to click and develop into a side capable getting promoted automatically.

Think you're making assumptions there, more on here are commenting about it being too early into the season yet than are saying we haven't quite clicked yet or saying they actually expect it to get better. There's also no one really to come back from injury to excuse it with, so there's nothing to hang onto other than results have been ok when looking at the overall inconsistency of the rest of the division.

It seems the embarrassment of sacking another manager and what others will think, maybe even the shit we'll take off those up the road, is playing as much part in their thoughts (going purely off this forum) than an idea that we're going to click and develop into a side capable getting promoted automatically.

That isn't even close to being in my reasoning personally. I can't speak for anyone else.

I think Jack Ross has a lot of potential and would like to see stability at this Club so very much against yet another change. I read things on here about the Owners and Ross written by people who make massive assumptions about what goes on in a Club and sweeping statements often couched in insults which are simply not warranted. It’s been said many times that the Die hard Supporters who turn up to games are way less negative about the Set up and get behind the Lads and long may that continue. There’s a lot to look forward to with the new investment and Ross deserves more time.

What makes you think he has a lot of potential? Not having a go as I'd have probably agreed after his first few months at the club but the amount of good performances we've had in the league since the Barnsley home game last November must be in single figures and we're still far too reliant on moments of individual quality from McGeady, and Maguire to a lesser extent, along with mistakes from the opposition to win us games.

As for the match-going crowd it seemed as though there were far more murmurings of discontent towards Ross from those in and around the ground on Tuesday night than had been the case previously at any time throughout his time here.

Fair enough. Guessing what others are thinking is just that - a guess or an assumption:). However, if there aren't some who think that we are up with the run rate while not playing our best, then I'm in a minority of one.

That'll be the same Charlton who couldn't even put together a full bench against us on the opening day last season and have arguably the worst set of owners in the Football League. Also, Taylor and Bielik weren't at the club when Bowyer arrived.

The point is that you said Ross came in at a 'catastrophic time', yet one of his managerial rivals last season achieved a hell of a lot more having been dealt a far worse hand than Ross.
My mistake, at the beginning of Ross' tenure we were in great shape and ready to storm league one. It was that bad we had Donald Love starting at right back. The Charlton team on the first day contained at least four of the players I mentioned including Taylor who couldn't be persuaded to join the the biggest spenders in league one history .
This gives me an opportunity to dispel this other myth of the biggest budget in league one. We only had the biggest budget due legacy wages of players still at the club. True we spent about £4m but we recouped at least £10m.

Donald played a propaganda blinder there . If not for the deal with Short administration beckoned.

I think Ross deserves credit . Guess we'll have to agree to disagree

Fair enough. Guessing what others are thinking is just that - a guess or an assumption:). However, if there aren't some who think that we are up with the run rate while not playing our best, then I'm in a minority of one.

I'm with you marra.

Brand new striker, brand new attacking central midfielder, brand new "first-choice" central defender. Despite only just arriving they're already looking like they've got what we need, so when they've fully settled and our other players get used to playing with them, in my opinion we'll start to look a much better team.

And then there's De Bock, yet to play but looks like a massive improvement on Denver Hume if his YouTube video (yeah yeah) is anything to go by. Can't wait to see him in the team.

What makes you think he has a lot of potential? Not having a go as I'd have probably agreed after his first few months at the club but the amount of good performances we've had in the league since the Barnsley home game last November must be in single figures and we're still far too reliant on moments of individual quality from McGeady, and Maguire to a lesser extent, along with mistakes from the opposition to win us games.

As for the match-going crowd it seemed as though there were far more murmurings of discontent towards Ross from those in and around the ground on Tuesday night than had been the case previously at any time throughout his time here.

He’s the right age for me and apart from his misguided comments about ‘expectations ‘ which he needs to cut out in my view, he generally talks sense. What I don’t know and neither do the anti Ross people is the inside story. We don’t see him behind the scenes. So it’s just a gut feel for me. What I cannot agree with is the criticism he gets from people who talk as if they have the experience and inside knowledge when they patently haven’t. Apart from Grigg he has spent very little so it’s simply not right to suggest he has spent huge sums. He has helped the owners stabilise a sinking ship.

That'll be the same Charlton who couldn't even put together a full bench against us on the opening day last season and have arguably the worst set of owners in the Football League. Also, Taylor and Bielik weren't at the club when Bowyer arrived.

The point is that you said Ross came in at a 'catastrophic time', yet one of his managerial rivals last season achieved a hell of a lot more having been dealt a far worse hand than Ross.
Think they could have done if they had picked academy kids, like we did, with a 16 year old playing. Not sure if they only had less than 10 players turning up for training on the first day.
The longer we stay in League 1, then the 'most successful' he will become - according to you. Hmmmmmm…
Not if he finishes below 5th?

Last edited:
Changing managers willy nilly and not giving them time to adapt and build has really worked well for this past 15 years or so then eh?

I’ve just voted in. I was thinking before voting and obviously not been able to see the percentage rate, that if his popularity is in the 30’s then your in dangerous territory for a manager and it’s actually below that.

I don’t think we’re a million miles off where he was expected to be, although I have to say and agree with Easy’s Summary of the last game after 30 minutes, it was painfully bewildering and woeful. This on top of his public dig at us, which was the first sign he’s cracking (he didn’t have to come out and say anything - why!. I actually think it might have been that mornings big Sam’s press revelations and him feeling doubley under the cosh, anyway it was a big big mistake.
It needs to be possessive, aggressive attacking football from here on in Jack, he’s got nothing to lose imho.

Mentioned before, I voted in but only because results have, generally, been just about acceptable. I'd lose no sleep if he went and if the new owners had an ambitious appointment in mind I'd also happily see him gone. In terms of the crowd you make a good point, I think many see it similarly to me, not happy but not yet mad enough to be vocal in the ground about wanting him out.

It'll come to a head though. There's a chance results stay okay and performances stay shit but I think something will change. Either we keep getting decent results and performances improve, or the bad performances will catch up with us and we'll slip up more regularly. If we get about 6 points off the top 2 I think you'll find a poll like that is about 90% out and it'll turn at the ground as well. He's got very little leeway even from many who voted in imo
Embarrassed for you

I think Jack Ross has a lot of potential and would like to see stability at this Club so very much against yet another change. I read things on here about the Owners and Ross written by people who make massive assumptions about what goes on in a Club and sweeping statements often couched in insults which are simply not warranted. It’s been said many times that the Die hard Supporters who turn up to games are way less negative about the Set up and get behind the Lads and long may that continue. There’s a lot to look forward to with the new investment and Ross deserves more time.

I don’t understand where potential comes from, is it purely because he’s a young manager or something you’ve seen since he came to the club?

Dean Saunders had potential when he went into Doncaster but then form there showed absolutely nothing and ended up with a woeful CV.

WE're in league one.. people need to get real. WHo you think is going to come in like?? Will make no difference.

The players are as good as we can get.

We were good under bruce because we had Bent banging in goals.

We might aswell give up if we can’t expect to improve with a new manager.

We’ll struggle to get a manager who’ll make a difference and we’ll struggle to attract better players at this level.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back