Police Car with lights but no sirens

Isn't that for a car horn?
Maybe. If sirens are bad enough, consider this - how would you feel if someone opened a shop opposite you and placed an ATM next to it where people could turn up at any time of the night, often in taxis, to withdraw money? Taxi engines are left running, punters are pissed and noisy. Again, this could be two times a week. And the dozy local council allow this. I really need to move 😆

I take it you havent been woken up two or three times a week at 3 in the morning due to sirens? Lights yes, sirens no. Thanks for your kind consideration marra.

Maybe consider there isnt just you in bed and there are people out and about, traffic and roadworkers doing nights. Similar to those who complain about the npas being up. Unlucky. There are more important things than you going on in this world
During set nighttime hours they only use sirens if needed ie at junctions, if it’s busy or there’s people about etc. If there’s no traffic on a straight road for example absolutely no need for sirens. Surprised no one knows this.

Pretty much this. There are no rules but try to be respectful however the need to use them far outweighs any thoughts on people being asleep. Cops want to go home alive and without someone walking out on them. There are also tactical reasons for certain use of lights/sirens

Last edited:
Maybe consider there isnt just you in bed and there are people out and about, traffic and roadworkers doing nights. Similar to those who complain about the npas being up. Unlucky. There are more important things than you going on in this world

Pretty much this. There are no rules but try to be respectful however the need to use them far outweighs any thoughts on people being asleep. Cops want to go home alive and without someone walking out on them. There are also tactical reasons for certain use of lights/sirens
Black Ops...tactical...are you out there scoping the conditions with your night goggles where I live? I thought not, there are no roadworkers out at night. And don't give me that about consideration for others 🙂

If I was driving and had to use lights and sirens regardless of the time of day or night I would more than likely be going somewhere in a hurry. The last thing I would be worried about is waking some poor sod up. I would be concentrating on my driving and not switching stuff on and off. If you have an accident it is you who are responsible not the poor soul just been woken up.
I once chased a stolen 650cc Yamaha motorcycle through Seaham at around 2 in the morning. 2 youths on it had just burgled and OAPs house in South Hetton. I had lights and sirens on, doing over 100mph at times. They fell off trying to turn into an estate and I gave chase on foot. Left my car with lights and sirens still on. Not One complaint. Managed to catch the rider, the pillion got away.
Isn't that for a car horn? Actually just found this on the highway code website .

is illegal to use a horn on a moving vehicle on a restricted road, basically a road that has street lights and a 30 mph limit, between the times of 11:30 p.m. and 07:00 a.m.
For sounding of car horn only. Emergency services are exempt.

During set nighttime hours they only use sirens if needed ie at junctions, if it’s busy or there’s people about etc. If there’s no traffic on a straight road for example absolutely no need for sirens. Surprised no one knows this.
They put the sirens on at night in built up areas as there’s always local scratters about.
Knocking one over is not worth the hassle for them the knars

Black Ops...tactical...are you out there scoping the conditions with your night goggles where I live? I thought not, there are no roadworkers out at night. And don't give me that about consideration for others 🙂

Aye. Great craic
If I was driving and had to use lights and sirens regardless of the time of day or night I would more than likely be going somewhere in a hurry. The last thing I would be worried about is waking some poor sod up. I would be concentrating on my driving and not switching stuff on and off. If you have an accident it is you who are responsible not the poor soul just been woken up.
I once chased a stolen 650cc Yamaha motorcycle through Seaham at around 2 in the morning. 2 youths on it had just burgled and OAPs house in South Hetton. I had lights and sirens on, doing over 100mph at times. They fell off trying to turn into an estate and I gave chase on foot. Left my car with lights and sirens still on. Not One complaint. Managed to catch the rider, the pillion got away.

For sounding of car horn only. Emergency services are exempt.

Dont be silly. We dont show consideration for others. Nevermind that its cops that allow them to sleep peacefully at night. The best and most dangerous jobs happen at night. Quite like nights

Last edited:
I've looked it up and there seems to be a basic guideline that sirens be used with restraint especially at night. The lights must be used to indicate operation while exempt of the speed limit.
I suppose the siren use parameters can not be hard and fast as the usage has to be determined by conditions and context.

I've looked it up and there seems to be a basic guideline that sirens be used with restraint especially at night. The lights must be used to indicate operation while exempt of the speed limit.
I suppose the siren use parameters can not be hard and fast as the usage has to be determined by conditions and context.

Lights dont always have to be used when operating over the limit but its rare and would have to justify it. Usually only advanced trained drivers.

Aye. Great craic

Dont be silly. We dont show consideration for others. Nevermind that its cops that allow them to sleep peacefully at night. The best and most dangerous jobs happen at night. Quite like nights
People just like to whinge for whinging sake. They moan when the police don't do their job then they moan when they do. You can never win with these people so just crack on and ignore them.
Yes that’s correct
Only for sounding a car horn on a restricted road with a 30 mph speed limit and street lights. Does not cover the use of emergency services lights and sirens.

Last edited:
A good emergency response driver uses the sirens at the appropriate times and uses the correct noise (yelp or wail).

A bad one switches them on when they start driving and off when they arrive at an incident. Ambulances seem to do this a lot.

I liken the siren to a sheepdog working the sheep. You use the siren to move the traffic where you want them to go and when you want them to do it. It’s an art.

A good emergency response driver uses the sirens at the appropriate times and uses the correct noise (yelp or wail).

A bad one switches them on when they start driving and off when they arrive at an incident. Ambulances seem to do this a lot.

I liken the siren to a sheepdog working the sheep. You use the siren to move the traffic where you want them to go and when you want them to do it. It’s an art.
With an ambulance I would say that may be because those waiting for it will be trying to aid the sick person and listen out for the ambulance so it probably saves time to have them arrive with fanfare.

Not a clue what you're on about 😂 The sirens are not to move traffic at all. Its simply to make people aware of presence. Position is the biggest influence to other drivers. One of the instructors fave go to sayings, command the road, dont demand it.

It’s not. It’s bad practice. There are times when driving in my fire engine that I don’t want you to stop as it causes me more of an obstruction. I will allow you to move to an area where there is more room then I will activate the siren to get you to stop and then pass. As I said, there is more to it than just making a lot of noise all the time.
Not a clue what you're on about 😂 The sirens are not to move traffic at all. It’s simply to make people aware of presence. Position is the biggest influence to other drivers. One of the instructors fave go to sayings, command the road, dont demand it.
Are you a blue light driver?

What is the protocol on when they use lights or lights and sirens?

Just had one go by now, within the speed limit, lights flashing but no sirens. This is nice because it is quite late but just made me wonder what their guidelines are on usage.
Probably broke

It’s not. It’s bad practice. There are times when driving in my fire engine that I don’t want you to stop as it causes me more of an obstruction. I will allow you to move to an area where there is more room then I will activate the siren to get you to stop and then pass. As I said, there is more to it than just making a lot of noise all the time.

Are you a blue light driver?

Yes mate. One thing i will say is that 9/10 members of public havent a clue what to do with blue lights behind them. More chance being killed by another driver's error than any other hazard i reckon

Yes mate. One thing i will say is that 9/10 members of public havent a clue what to do with blue lights behind them. More chance being killed by another driver's error than any other hazard i reckon
I just pull over out of the way as soon as it isn't blocking, is that wrong?

I've never been pulled over while driving, I just mean when blue lights are coming up from behind.

Back