Police Car with lights but no sirens

CatRyan

Striker
What is the protocol on when they use lights or lights and sirens?

Just had one go by now, within the speed limit, lights flashing but no sirens. This is nice because it is quite late but just made me wonder what their guidelines are on usage.

Just had one go by now, within the speed limit, lights flashing but no sirens. This is nice because it is quite late but just made me wonder what their guidelines are on usage.
isnt it 11pm to 7am they arent supposed to use them?

I've noticed police and ambulances have been using their sirens during the night for about the last three years. It could be three in the morning, you can hear them some distance away. I don't know if it started during covid but you have to ask yourself are sirens needed at that time? Loads of people woken up.

I've noticed police and ambulances have been using their sirens during the night for about the last three years. It could be three in the morning, you can hear them some distance away. I don't know if it started during covid but you have to ask yourself are sirens needed at that time? Loads of people woken up.
Life in danger vs waking people up

They’ll be better qualified to decide whether to use the sirens in the situation than you in bed. I doubt very much they’re doing it to annoy the ge real public.
I take it you havent been woken up two or three times a week at 3 in the morning due to sirens? Lights yes, sirens no. Thanks for your kind consideration marra.

Shift finishes at midnight. Gotta get back to the station.

During set nighttime hours they only use sirens if needed ie at junctions, if it’s busy or there’s people about etc. If there’s no traffic on a straight road for example absolutely no need for sirens. Surprised no one knows this.
Didn't the rule used to be 11p to 7am? OP is right, I'm sure.

Not sure from when but 7am is right I think as that’s the earliest time you’re allowed to do work on your house or road etc as well I think. Basically no noise before then I seem to recall

Not sure from when but 7am is right I think as that’s the earliest time you’re allowed to do work on your house or road etc as well I think. Basically no noise before then I seem to recall
And that to me sounds fair enough. Amen.

Isn't that for a car horn? Actually just found this on the highway code website .

is illegal to use a horn on a moving vehicle on a restricted road, basically a road that has street lights and a 30 mph limit, between the times of 11:30 p.m. and 07:00 a.m.

Last edited:

Back