Players that gave us 100%

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam Matthews, I’m not saying he’s always been of the quality required, but I always think it’s quite obvious he’s trying his hardest. Same with Jerome Sinclair.

Danny Rose and Danny Welbeck - no surprise there loan moves were a success at ours with the way they conducted themselves.

Going down the route of always trying their hardest, I used to think the Billy f****** Jones used to try his hardest. Although I am not a great fan!

Ya see and hear about alot of pro's in the 80s maybe stroke early 90s before the prem kicked in talking about pain killing injections ..back, knee ankles feet etc...just to get out and play coz they loved it
and they were not paid alot more than a team leader on a factory wage, and no real insurance to right yem about..
I watched john kay snap his leg then row his stretcher off Roker park pitch yet probably had to take another job on after he stopped playing... some of these players now don't get out of bed if they can feel a snotty nose coming on..

Did he really cover a lot of ground in every match?
He added quality and experience rather than effort.
He was specifically trained NOT to run around like a headless chicken. But instead, to be in the right place at the right time.
Football: Niall Quinn on Peter Crouch

"For example, when Liverpool clear their lines, say from right-back, Crouch is usually to be found taking a position on the right. This is understandable. He is simply being enthusiastic and showing a willingness to either come short or chase a ball into the channel.

It took me a long time to realise that when the right-back has possession, the likes of myself and Crouch should be on the left. That immediately opens up the possibility of a diagonal pass. What that does, as opposed to a long ball down the line, is give the receiving player, Crouch, a different angle on the play."

Covering every blade of grass can be great, but can also be a sign of someone who hasn't got a clue what he's doing.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back