Places for a daytime beer in Durham

I go to durham regular and whilst i am getting on in years i wouldnt be going in places like HoS, Shakespeare, Victoria for a daytime drink. they`ll all be dead i would think.

As unpopular as it sounds your better off going to lloyds or library for a hint of activity on a thursday afternoon. if its sunny, maybe sit outside boathouse

Echoing this i’m back in the NE for the first time in ages soon. Anywhere in Durham other than spoons NOT taking peoples eyes out for a half decent pint of lager? Ideally somewhere beer gardeny / hods of birds around wearing no bra’s etc would be great.
Others might be normalised to forking out over £5 for a pint but it ain’t my bag so if it has to be Lloyds it has to be Lloyds.

Incidentally my claim to fame is I was the one that years ago took exception to loads of dullards 10+ years ago asking on here “is there anywhere decent to eat in Durham?”
that miserable bloke still run it?
He's absolutely spot on tbh.

Bill's is just dreadful these days (used to be ok, not now), the food is lower quality than Wetherspoons.

The best pub food in Durham centre is The Bridge, under the viaduct.
My mother goes to the Bridge all the time for Sunday dinner. She seems to be on first name terms with the chef now.

As for drinking, few times I've been down lately I think sitting in a doorway or lying in a gutter seems a popular option

Bridge is canny even if Wayne is a mag.

Garden House has just had a new landlord in and seems better than it was (which isn’t hard).

Holy Grail is brilliant, HoS, Elm Tree as others have said.

Do like a trip to Whitechurch, but it’s more of a coffee shop thru the day.

The John Duck has got a canny sun terrace too.

My mother goes to the Bridge all the time for Sunday dinner. She seems to be on first name terms with the chef now.

As for drinking, few times I've been down lately I think sitting in a doorway or lying in a gutter seems a popular option
Watched the away leg of the play-offs in there

Back