Pisa Travel Advice

Mike J

Winger
pushing my luck here I know asking for two bits of advice in one day!

I’m staying near Pisa in Italy in a couple of weeks time with an 18 month old and a 7 year old, planning on visiting Lucca, Sienna and having a beach day, any other advice?

Cheers

I’m staying near Pisa in Italy in a couple of weeks time with an 18 month old and a 7 year old, planning on visiting Lucca, Sienna and having a beach day, any other advice?

Cheers

Sounds like a nightmare to me. I spent last weekend away with my 3 year old and my 18 month year old and would’ve been happier spending time on my own at Guantanamo bay.

Hope this helps

Pisa was nowt to write home about bar the area around the cathedral. Give it half a day at most. Bologna and Florence on the other hand....

Pisa is shit. Nowt there other than the tower.

Florence is incredible and Sienna is fab.

They were preparing for the horse race when i went to sienna.

We used the trains, cheap as out but never run on time

Cheers, not keen on taking the little one to florence, but really want to do Sienna.

Cheers
Liked Sienna, but found Lucca a lot more relaxing and a bit less "touristy"

Cheers, not keen on taking the little one to florence, but really want to do Sienna.

Florence would be dreadful for a little one I think. Too busy.

Very true. Had a 75 minute delayed train yesterday and every other one has been 10-15 mins delayed. Factor that in if you're travelling that way. Shame as well because the trains are excellent other than that.

I've been to Lucca loads of times and it is gorgeous and must more laid back that the tourist hoardes that clutter Florence. Over the years I've been to Florence on a couple of day trips from Lucca and didn't really enjoy it. Don't get me wrong, Florence is visually stunning but you quickly get sick of queuing as it is always rammed. The bairns will get bored standing around. I was also taken aback by the amount of police\ambulance sirens there. They never stop!

The centre of Lucca is very flat and largely pedestrianised so ideal if you have a bairn in a buggy. The old city walls are approx 2.5 km long and the top of them has been turned into one large circular park. Ideal for a picnic with the bairns. It is a beautiful walking city. In fact, I wish I was in Lucca now as I love the place :cool:

Florence would be dreadful for a little one I think. Too busy.
^^^^This

Book your tickets to go up the Leaning Tower in advance as there’s none sold on the day.

Smug I know (I’d booked mine), but it made my day last year watching all the American and Japanese tourists obnoxiously demanding to be allowed up without tickets (and being refused).

Go up the leaning tower towards the end of the day early evening. Avoids the crowds.

I've been to Lucca loads of times and it is gorgeous and must more laid back that the tourist hoardes that clutter Florence. Over the years I've been to Florence on a couple of day trips from Lucca and didn't really enjoy it. Don't get me wrong, Florence is visually stunning but you quickly get sick of queuing as it is always rammed. The bairns will get bored standing around. I was also taken aback by the amount of police\ambulance sirens there. They never stop!

The centre of Lucca is very flat and largely pedestrianised so ideal if you have a bairn in a buggy. The old city walls are approx 2.5 km long and the top of them has been turned into one large circular park. Ideal for a picnic with the bairns. It is a beautiful walking city. In fact, I wish I was in Lucca now as I love the place :cool:

^^^^This

We called our Son's middle name Lucca after the town.

Sienna train station is about a 15-20 min walk uphill to the centre. I’d get a cab up with the kids

^^^^This
This. Definitely go to Lucca.

Another vote for Lucca. We only paid a flying visit and would love to go back one day.

Cheers
Take a really good cringey holding the tower up photo. You could even allign yourselves in order of height to add to the effect. Hope that helps :)

Pisa is shite, apart from the tower , can do all that in a hour, 2 at max, nowt else there

Florence is the boy and IMO be fine with a little one as its relatively flat and plenty of cafes dotted around

Back