Photo Comp News

Status
Not open for further replies.
AB22 Easy Tiger isn't going to run the photo comp any more. I undertook running it on the understanding he was coming back in September. ( Though I am happy to complete the two mini comps for October.)

What does everyone want to do?

I just think it probably has run its course as we are hard pushed to get many entrants.

Shall we leave it for a while?
Does someone else want to take over for a few months?

What say you all?

Hmm..

Can hardly blame you, Peachbum, for not wanting to carry on running the competition after the abuse you took in the last month.

For the record – I think you did an excellent job throughout that time. I’m sorry that I didn’t enter during your period running it – I am only an occasional entrant due to (a) not being particularly good – and – (b) being pretty run off my feet at work.

That being said – I think the Photo Competition is a great asset to this Board and the Photo Section of the Board is, to be honest, the only place I ever come across someone’s internet persona where I occasionally think “I’d be really interested to have a sit down, cuppa and chat” with that person.

I wonder if the competition could be rejuvenated in the following way (to get more interest.)

(1) Firstly – the competition to be opened up by having three months’ worth of topics running simultaneously.

For example: (I’m not proposing these actual topics – just listed for illustration purposes)
October: Creative Autumn ***
November: Darkness
December: Blue

Entries can be shot anytime during the three month period – so if I happen to be out with my camera during October and get a good “Autumn” shot and a great “Darkness” shot – I have a better chance of being able to take part in the competition.

[*** Creative Autumn – I really like your idea of the expression “Creative” – since this allows anyone to enter anything in this category. Ultimately the board will decide whether they wish to vote or not. This will rightly address the “is it a bridge” debacle from last month. – And by the way, for what it’s worth – of course it was a bridge Peachbum!! The real question was “was it a troll?” and I think we know the answer to that!!]
As October finishes – then the January topic is added and starts its three months of opportunity for people to shoot

(2) Secondly the competition could also be used to showcase any shots the board users take during the month irrespective of whether or not they meet the competition. That way – we can continue to see the great development of style, skill and creativity coming from the main users of the board. Clearly they wouldn’t be voted upon – but would give an opportunity for comment (if it was invited by the shooter) or simply admiration of the photo.

Hopefully these two issues would immediately open up the general usage of this section of the board and increase the number of people taking part.

The “open” shots could be posted into a separate thread in the same general area as the competition entries and could have its own discussion thread for those that wish to have C&C on their shots.

An agreement would be necessary with a sympathetic mod to delete any C&C which is abusive, unnecessarily harsh, troll like or not invited.

(3) The issue of “only 10 people to vote for” has to be addressed. I think there is a possible benefit to this. I would suggest that whoever takes over the running of he competition should be the shortlisting judge – possibly with one or two other regulars having a PM discussion / vote to narrow down to 10 entries that will be voted upon.

However – in order to open the competition up to those who are not DSLR users – at least one place in the final 10 to be reserved for camera phone users and at least two places to be reserved for “point and shoot” style cameras.

Users can also enter up to three entries each month using (a) phone such as Iphone, (b) Point and shoot / Bridge type and (c) DSLR.

Naturally with some classy shots from newcomers theoretically it would be possible for a large number of the final 10 to be phone or point and shoot entries.

This would encourage all users to spend more time “seeing the shot” (irrespective) as well as encouraging occasional users to join in with the competition.

It would also give an opportunity for our excellent resident Professional Photographers to have a challenge around using creativity and composition without using pro gear – and perhaps we would all learn something from that!

Sorry for the essay – but I do really enjoy this section of the board – and I wonder if this would open things up a little more and encourage more actual display of photos on the board?

Cue comments such as “I stopped reading after….”!! (In which case fair enough – and I’ll climb back inside my cave!!)

Some good ideas above, I know I don't enter every month but it does get me thinking when i'm out and about 'will this fit the criteria' and often has me snapping things I wouldn't normally and sometimes thinking outside the box.
Would be great if it could continue and well done Peachy for keeping it going, I actually liked your idea that the winners chose the next months subject, less pressure on the organiser and let the voters judge if it fits the remit. Hope someone will step forward as it will be missed if it goes never to return :cry:

I probably spend more time checking this corner of the board than I do the rest of the whole board. Although I haven't entered many of the comps I do like them and hope that someone has the time and inclination to carry them on.
Some good Ideas put forward above, I like the 3 month rolling idea - could possibly still give the monthly winner the next subject choice.
By the way, You have done a good job running the show Peachy.

It would be a shame if it were to stop altogether, some good ideas from 2310 Return. The comp. gives me a nudge to pick up my camera and try different things

I probably spend more time checking this corner of the board than I do the rest of the whole board. Although I haven't entered many of the comps I do like them and hope that someone has the time and inclination to carry them on.
Some good Ideas put forward above, I like the 3 month rolling idea - could possibly still give the monthly winner the next subject choice.
By the way, You have done a good job running the show Peachy.

spotted your Skye loch today mad. That's why they call it the red cuillin

Bit dull for that shot though today

The black cuillin is awesome, i think i've only fully appreciated that this time

Hmm..

Can hardly blame you, Peachbum, for not wanting to carry on running the competition after the abuse you took in the last month.

For the record – I think you did an excellent job throughout that time. I’m sorry that I didn’t enter during your period running it – I am only an occasional entrant due to (a) not being particularly good – and – (b) being pretty run off my feet at work.

That being said – I think the Photo Competition is a great asset to this Board and the Photo Section of the Board is, to be honest, the only place I ever come across someone’s internet persona where I occasionally think “I’d be really interested to have a sit down, cuppa and chat” with that person.

I wonder if the competition could be rejuvenated in the following way (to get more interest.)

(1) Firstly – the competition to be opened up by having three months’ worth of topics running simultaneously.

For example: (I’m not proposing these actual topics – just listed for illustration purposes)
October: Creative Autumn ***
November: Darkness
December: Blue

Entries can be shot anytime during the three month period – so if I happen to be out with my camera during October and get a good “Autumn” shot and a great “Darkness” shot – I have a better chance of being able to take part in the competition.

[*** Creative Autumn – I really like your idea of the expression “Creative” – since this allows anyone to enter anything in this category. Ultimately the board will decide whether they wish to vote or not. This will rightly address the “is it a bridge” debacle from last month. – And by the way, for what it’s worth – of course it was a bridge Peachbum!! The real question was “was it a troll?” and I think we know the answer to that!!]
As October finishes – then the January topic is added and starts its three months of opportunity for people to shoot

(2) Secondly the competition could also be used to showcase any shots the board users take during the month irrespective of whether or not they meet the competition. That way – we can continue to see the great development of style, skill and creativity coming from the main users of the board. Clearly they wouldn’t be voted upon – but would give an opportunity for comment (if it was invited by the shooter) or simply admiration of the photo.

Hopefully these two issues would immediately open up the general usage of this section of the board and increase the number of people taking part.

The “open” shots could be posted into a separate thread in the same general area as the competition entries and could have its own discussion thread for those that wish to have C&C on their shots.

An agreement would be necessary with a sympathetic mod to delete any C&C which is abusive, unnecessarily harsh, troll like or not invited.

(3) The issue of “only 10 people to vote for” has to be addressed. I think there is a possible benefit to this. I would suggest that whoever takes over the running of he competition should be the shortlisting judge – possibly with one or two other regulars having a PM discussion / vote to narrow down to 10 entries that will be voted upon.

However – in order to open the competition up to those who are not DSLR users – at least one place in the final 10 to be reserved for camera phone users and at least two places to be reserved for “point and shoot” style cameras.

Users can also enter up to three entries each month using (a) phone such as Iphone, (b) Point and shoot / Bridge type and (c) DSLR.

Naturally with some classy shots from newcomers theoretically it would be possible for a large number of the final 10 to be phone or point and shoot entries.

This would encourage all users to spend more time “seeing the shot” (irrespective) as well as encouraging occasional users to join in with the competition.

It would also give an opportunity for our excellent resident Professional Photographers to have a challenge around using creativity and composition without using pro gear – and perhaps we would all learn something from that!

Sorry for the essay – but I do really enjoy this section of the board – and I wonder if this would open things up a little more and encourage more actual display of photos on the board?

Cue comments such as “I stopped reading after….”!! (In which case fair enough – and I’ll climb back inside my cave!!)
Thanks for that! :) I've just quickly read it, as I'm only here for a few minutes, but I will come back over the weekend.

****************[DOUBLEPOST=1382131170][/DOUBLEPOST]Read all the posts now - thanks for your kind comments. I don't mind continuing with it, as it doesn't take too long (might change close time from midnight though!!)

Back soon.

Last edited:
spotted your Skye loch today mad. That's why they call it the red cuillin

Bit dull for that shot though today

The black cuillin is awesome, i think i've only fully appreciated that this time

I cant get enough of Skye, Impresses me every time I visit. Im back up next weekend, hoping for some decent weather - and some eagles!

Thanks for that! :) I've just quickly read it, as I'm only here for a few minutes, but I will come back over the weekend.

****************[DOUBLEPOST=1382131170][/DOUBLEPOST]Read all the posts now - thanks for your kind comments. I don't mind continuing with it, as it doesn't take too long (might change close time from midnight though!!)

Back soon.
Good lass, you know it makes sense ;)

Well it seems there is enough interest for the competition to keep running, and I don't mind doing it, it really doesn't take too long.
Taking into account some of the above:
Making the competition run over three months (three rolling months) as suggested seems to be popular.
Winner choosing themes/techniques is fine.

So as Madmackem won September, he can choose November
the October winner 1 can choose December
and the October winner 2 can choose January

So we will have Nov Dec and Jan running simultaneously, then the November winner can choose Feb.
Entries can be shot at anytime the themes are running, which will give a much bigger margin of time to take a photo.

Are you happy for me to open the threads/run the comp still or is anyone else itching to do it?

The voting board only taking ten names is a pain if there are a lot of entries, as board two just does not get looked at as much however much I highlight the need to look at both voting boards - I will think on on this and maybe ask Roger if there is any chance of a "bigger" voting board if we have more than ten entrants at any time.

Well it seems there is enough interest for the competition to keep running, and I don't mind doing it, it really doesn't take too long.
Taking into account some of the above:
Making the competition run over three months (three rolling months) as suggested seems to be popular.
Winner choosing themes/techniques is fine.

So as Madmackem won September, he can choose November
the October winner 1 can choose December
and the October winner 2 can choose January

So we will have Nov Dec and Jan running simultaneously, then the November winner can choose Feb.
Entries can be shot at anytime the themes are running, which will give a much bigger margin of time to take a photo.

Are you happy for me to open the threads/run the comp still or is anyone else itching to do it?

The voting board only taking ten names is a pain if there are a lot of entries, as board two just does not get looked at as much however much I highlight the need to look at both voting boards - I will think on on this and maybe ask Roger if there is any chance of a "bigger" voting board if we have more than ten entrants at any time.

You've got a big heart keeping it going, so thanks.
Let's hope your new formula gets more entries but I'm buggered if I understand it.:confused:
Must be an age thing:oops:

You've got a big heart keeping it going, so thanks.
Let's hope your new formula gets more entries but I'm buggered if I understand it.:confused:
Must be an age thing:oops:

Once the three month thing gets going, it will mean that there are three months to take photos for the competitions. So it will be one month for November and 2 months for December and three months for January; then as November gets dropped, there will be three months for Februrary, and as December gets dropped all months will then have three months to enter. I'll do it that way for a year, see how it pans out. I'll still close each month at the end of the month, just the new month will be added early. Hopefully all will come clear when I actually do it!:)

I came on to make some really valid and mint points and now it's all decided :evil:

Nice one though Peachy, thanks for keeping this going.

Once the three month thing gets going, it will mean that there are three months to take photos for the competitions. So it will be one month for November and 2 months for December and three months for January; then as November gets dropped, there will be three months for Februrary, and as December gets dropped all months will then have three months to enter. I'll do it that way for a year, see how it pans out. I'll still close each month at the end of the month, just the new month will be added early. Hopefully all will come clear when I actually do it!:)
Too complicated IMHO - why not just have monthly or bi-monthly comps?

Thanks for running it.

I cant get enough of Skye, Impresses me every time I visit. Im back up next weekend, hoping for some decent weather - and some eagles!

Was stick of bloody eagles. Every five minutes, Ken 'there's another eagle'

Change the bloody record man

;)

Too complicated IMHO - why not just have monthly or bi-monthly comps?

Thanks for running it.

It will still be a monthly competition, just the themes will be known earlier (thus giving people more time to take their photos; photos will be able to be taken over a three month period of time rather than one month, and then you just enter them in the respective month). We'll give it a go, I don't think it will be complicated.

It will still be a monthly competition, just the themes will be known earlier (thus giving people more time to take their photos; photos will be able to be taken over a three month period of time rather than one month, and then you just enter them in the respective month). We'll give it a go, I don't think it will be complicated.

That's great! Delighted you're prepared to carry on - thanks very much indeed for that. Peachbum.

The issue of voting still needs to be resolved though. I had a quick look back to see how the old competition (with more than 10 people) votes manifested themselves on the new board - and they just show through as having more than 10 people (unsurprisingly.) I wonder if the option for having a greater number does exist somewhere (?) - as you have said earlier - one to check with Roger - otherwise - there will either need to be a limiting factor to keep it to 10, which would presumably be "first come first served" or someone somewhere shortlisting.

The "first come first served" basis is entirely understandable - but does rather work against the ethos of trying to bring more people into play with the competition.

More than anything, though, just pleased to see that this will keep going - and along with a reminder to myself to try and get involved more, I hope that some of the dozens of people who have taken part over the last 3 years or so are encouraged and motivated get their / our cameras out again.

Being new to this part of the board (and to photography!) my suggestion may not hold weight, but would it clarify any confusion if you were to specify the 3 months in the thread title?

I.e.
"Nov, Dec, Jan competition - theme name"
"Dec, Jan, Feb competition - theme name"
"Jan, Feb, Mar competition - theme name"

...etc.

The competitions offer a great place for total newbies to dip their toes before tackling the more technical discussions in the rest of the forum and it would be a shame for it to go.

I'm all for the extended entry time, but that format looks a bit complicated to me

Just make it bi-monthly for me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back