Phone contract prices (EE)

It can be. Providing you avoid the stupidly priced handsets.

I tend to buy a new one every 4 years odd when the previous ones battery is knacked and keep my cheapie sim deal.
Even the iPhone 13 which is over 2 years old now its cheaper to go on a contract. I always thought it would be cheaper to get sim only and buy the handset but seems nowadays its not, unless you are just after a basic phone or one thats 3+ years old which will be 7+ by the time you are upto 4 years with it. Basically its a joke how expensive they have become but they know they can charge it because its become pretty much a necessity for most.

I worked at EE up until about 10 years ago. I remember the Samsung reps bringing their new phone to show us. Galaxy S4 or S5 I think. They were demonstrating the fantastic new innovative features; screen navigation with head movements and the ability to play a single song on multiple devices - utterly f***ing pointless.

It was apparent to me that technology had pretty much reached a plateau at that point, so I stopped paying over the odds for phones. Couldn't understand the way adults went on over the latest iPhones.

I even had an old wifey going berserk because the iphone couldn't turn her lights on or run her a bath without a sophisticated smart home set up, like some video she watched.

Sim only and purchase a mid range android phone.

Its actually cheaper going on a contract, Iphone 13 on a 24 month contract via 3 with 300Gb a month all in is £705, you can go with ID mobiles and its £671 all in, going with giffgaff and buying the phone is £629 plus a sim only say £10 thats £869 all in. I'm in the same position of needing a new phone as my 6 year old one has apps fried into the screen but it seems cheaper to go on a contract now. Unless I've totally missed something.
It’s £599 for an iPhone 13 on the Apple Store, plus an O2 SIM (for example) is only £13 a month

The phone is £606 from 3 (£24p/m plus £30 up front). £480 for that 300gb contract you mention which is £1086 over two years or £45.25 a month.

Unless I’m missing something.

Last edited:
I got my current phone a Samsung S21 Ultra by trading in a much older Samsung S7, Samsung gave me £200 for it and because I had bought from them in the past another £150 off as a special offer, I also got a Harman Kardon speaker that I sold on eBay for £80, then 2yrs IFC I bought a Sim only deal for £5.50 a month so £41PM for a phone that would have cost me £58 a month,
the IFC ended back in August I got an email a while back with another £150 off plus a good trade in on an S10 Plus
but I'm happy with this phone as the upgrade to S23 isn't a massive improvement.

all 3 of us were on ee for years,switched to sky mobile in august.got 3xiphone 14 for £103 a month with no upfront fee for the phones

I got my current phone a Samsung S21 Ultra by trading in a much older Samsung S7, Samsung gave me £200 for it and because I had bought from them in the past another £150 off as a special offer, I also got a Harman Kardon speaker that I sold on eBay for £80, then 2yrs IFC I bought a Sim only deal for £5.50 a month so £41PM for a phone that would have cost me £58 a month,
the IFC ended back in August I got an email a while back with another £150 off plus a good trade in on an S10 Plus
but I'm happy with this phone as the upgrade to S23 isn't a massive improvement.
Spot on that like.
I normally trade in with Samsung too.
S23 ultra battery life is amazing like but I get what you're saying in general.

It’s £599 for an iPhone 13 on the Apple Store, plus an O2 SIM (for example) is only £13 a month

The phone is £606 from 3 (£24p/m plus £30 up front). £480 for that 300gb contract you mention which is £1086 over two years or £45.25 a month.

Unless I’m missing something.
When I say it's from 3 I was meaning the sim is 3 mobile, it's just on the uswitch site, so they basically compare everything and that's from mobile.co.uk and the prices I said were the full amount over the 24 months for the handset and the sim deal.

I just done a terrible job of explaining.

When I say it's from 3 I was meaning the sim is 3 mobile, it's just on the uswitch site, so they basically compare everything and that's from mobile.co.uk and the prices I said were the full amount over the 24 months for the handset and the sim deal.

I just done a terrible job of explaining.
Ah right, you don’t really get contracts as you put it these days, almost every deal is phone + SIM.

The two top ones are only marginally cheaper but with good (in my case excessive) data allowances.

Only reason I am EE still is I get the friends and family discount of 30%. Works out slightly cheaper than buying phone direct from Apple and getting a sim only deal.
This, worked for them for a while and used to get 60% but dropped to 30% when I left. Makes it worthwhile sticking with them.

Although recently brother bought the Samsung S23 Ultra paying interest free over 24 months and got a sim only deal and worked out an awful lot cheaper than getting it through anyone else directly.

Contract due up in June, will have to have a look at the time see how its looking

I got my 13 mini from Mozillion for 420 back in April. picked the good as new option. It came with the battery at 100%, boxed and not a mark on it. Battery is still at 100%. They give a 24 month warranty, full refund within 14 days if not happy. my Giffgaff sim is 8 quid.
iPhone 13 is currently 430 -

2nd hand phone from giff gaff or one of the many shops in Sunderland town centre, and £10 a month Giff Gaff SIM, blows my mind the prices some people pay for new phones on contracts.

Really ? Not in my eyes like not going to get a iPhone 15 pro for £30 a month am a

I’m sure people think phone company’s should give the phones away for nowt ffs
You're paying 65 per month all in at end of the day? Unless it's the top model for memory etc? You can get them cheaper on third party sites, would never go direct through EE, 02 etc.

You're paying 65 per month all in at end of the day? Unless it's the top model for memory etc? You can get them cheaper on third party sites, would never go direct through EE, 02 etc.
New latest Apple phones are virtually never discounted from rrp unless you find a voucher code. And then if they offer 0% apr etc.

It’s the contact itself you can save cash. But then it depends on what you need etc. giffgaff is cheap but struggles for signal compared to ee in locations I need.

Back