Phone contract prices (EE)

SGF

Striker
24 month contract ended and due a phone upgrade and can’t believe how much they are charging for a phone now. I’m not bothered about the latest model or owt so used to be able to pick up a couple of year old iPhone for £20 up front or something and then get a contract for around £30 a month.

Now they are looking for £700+ for the phone (iPhone 13) and that can be paid monthly and on top of your contract.

Since when has all this changed the robbing bastards?

24 month contract ended and due a phone upgrade and can’t believe how much they are charging for a phone now. I’m not bothered about the latest model or owt so used to be able to pick up a couple of year old iPhone for £20 up front or something and then get a contract for around £30 a month.

Now they are looking for £700+ for the phone (iPhone 13) and that can be paid monthly and on top of your contract.

EE have only been interested in selling top end phones with contracts for a fair while.

Never go through the main store go to a third party like mobile phones direct or affordable mobiles. They really are taking the piss trying to sell contracts over 3 years now too when can get them over 2 on third party sites.

Never go through the main store go to a third party like mobile phones direct or affordable mobiles. They really are taking the piss trying to sell contracts over 3 years now too when can get them over 2 on third party sites.

There's a good reason why you pay a lot less from a 3rd party site.

You don't get the phone from the network, you get it from the 3rd party and the network just provides the sim plan. The likes of affordable mobiles are a purely online enterprise and they practically sell the phone for cost as they make a commission on every phone they sell from whichever network. They don't have an infrastructure to maintain.

Ultimately it makes no difference to the end customer like, but it's not much taking the piss as having to fund a completely different business model.

An iPhone 13 from Apple is £700 on interest free, that won’t change much when you go thro EE. SIM only on top of this at £10/12 a month sounds about right.
Aye 705 for the phone on EE which I now have to pay monthly. Then the contract on top.

2 years ago I will have paid 20/30 quid ish for the phone up front and then my contract.

I’d rather buy a better phone from apple now and get a sim only deal (didn’t realise how good those were by the way)
Yep I’m starting to realise this marra
Giffgaff and keep your phone or just buy one outright …and use giffgaff as your provider. Boggles me people pay 50 quid plus for 24 months for a phone

Last edited:
Aye 705 for the phone on EE which I now have to pay monthly. Then the contract on top.

2 years ago I will have paid 20/30 quid ish for the phone up front and then my contract.

I’d rather buy a better phone from apple now and get a sim only deal (didn’t realise how good those were by the way)

Its actually cheaper going on a contract, Iphone 13 on a 24 month contract via 3 with 300Gb a month all in is £705, you can go with ID mobiles and its £671 all in, going with giffgaff and buying the phone is £629 plus a sim only say £10 thats £869 all in. I'm in the same position of needing a new phone as my 6 year old one has apps fried into the screen but it seems cheaper to go on a contract now. Unless I've totally missed something.

There's a good reason why you pay a lot less from a 3rd party site.

You don't get the phone from the network, you get it from the 3rd party and the network just provides the sim plan. The likes of affordable mobiles are a purely online enterprise and they practically sell the phone for cost as they make a commission on every phone they sell from whichever network. They don't have an infrastructure to maintain.

Ultimately it makes no difference to the end customer like, but it's not much taking the piss as having to fund a completely different business model.
They are taking the piss though, see how they've went on still charging people for the same contract price even when the device had been paid off. Would never buy a new phone through them, like I said you can literally get the same deal and likely more data etc for cheaper over a two year deal than what EE and 02 charge over 3 years in store and online. Piss takers.

Buy from Apple direct at 0% interest over two years it’s about £35 a month then there should be plenty of decent sim only deals around £15 a month so around £50 a month for a new phone and phone contract will save around £10-£15 per month

Wouldn’t ever got a phone contract again. Buy phone from Apple direct if needs be. iPhone 13 currently £25 a month on interest free credit.

The kids are all on Voxi (Vodafone network) and we pay £10 a month. Get social media free and more data than you can ever use.

Last edited:
Wouldn’t ever got a phone contract again. Buy phone from Apple direct if needs be. iPhone 13 currently £25 a month on interest free credit.

The kids are all on Voxi (Vodafone network) and we pay £10 a month. Get social media free and more data than you can ever use.
I was with EE n contract was up n nowt wrong with my iPhone 7 at the time so went sim only for £20 pm.
Dropped the bugger on the bathroom floor not long after n didn’t smash the screen but wouldn’t turn on so goosed.
Went to Apple Store n bought iPhone 12 on interest free.

Only reason I am EE still is I get the friends and family discount of 30%. Works out slightly cheaper than buying phone direct from Apple and getting a sim only deal.

Upgrades are not enforced. Keep the phone you have and go sim only for £10 or less a month.
Its actually cheaper going on a contract, Iphone 13 on a 24 month contract via 3 with 300Gb a month all in is £705, you can go with ID mobiles and its £671 all in, going with giffgaff and buying the phone is £629 plus a sim only say £10 thats £869 all in. I'm in the same position of needing a new phone as my 6 year old one has apps fried into the screen but it seems cheaper to go on a contract now. Unless I've totally missed something.

No its actually cheaper to realise your current phone will not stop working the day after your contract period ends.

Last edited:
Upgrades are not enforced. Keep the phone you have and go sim only for £10 or less a month.

No its actually cheaper to realise your current phone will not stop working the day after your contract period ends.
Aye but like I said my 6 year old phone has apps burnt into the screen so its come to the end of its life meaning I need a new phone so like I said its cheaper getting a new contract than buying a new phone outright and getting a sim only (which I currently have)

I was with EE n contract was up n nowt wrong with my iPhone 7 at the time so went sim only for £20 pm.
Dropped the bugger on the bathroom floor not long after n didn’t smash the screen but wouldn’t turn on so goosed.
Went to Apple Store n bought iPhone 12 on interest free.
To be
Fair iPhone 7 is end of apple support so you will find Apps stop working at some point. Done well with the battery still working as well

Aye but like I said my 6 year old phone has apps burnt into the screen so its come to the end of its life meaning I need a new phone so like I said its cheaper getting a new contract than buying a new phone outright and getting a sim only (which I currently have)

It can be. Providing you avoid the stupidly priced handsets.

I tend to buy a new one every 4 years odd when the previous ones battery is knacked and keep my cheapie sim deal.

Back