Phone contract prices (EE)

Yeah so after 24 months you go sim only, it's still cheaper to go on a contract for the first 24 months, you don't need to hand the phone back, it's yours then you go on sim only till it breaks.

Unless you're just needing a basic phone for £200 it's cheaper to go 'contract' for the iPhone 13 and newer and newer Samsung versions.

After the 24 months you'll be the the same position either route.

I'd look at it the other way around. Do you need a top of the range iPhone/Samsung when a £200-300 phone and £10/month SIM will do what you want?

I'd look at it the other way around. Do you need a top of the range iPhone/Samsung when a £200-300 phone and £10/month SIM will do what you want?
Probably not for most, I have been dealing with a 6 year old Huawei so anything will most likely be an upgrade but I'd also want something that would last that length of time again, probably got no chance.

The point I was making was more to do with the OP who was talking about an iPhone 14, for him it would be cheaper to go down the contract route yet everyone else was saying buy it outright then get sim only, I just was showing that its actually cheaper for that phone down the old contract route.

EE have pretty much priced themself out the market in recent years.

Go on affordable mobiles and youll find one of the new handsets with 02 on 100gb data for circa £40pm

Despite what ive just said regarda new phones this is bang on. I was using a £200 Huawei until i upgraded to a samsung S23+ a few months back.

f***ing hate the phone its the worst one ive ever had. Much preferred the Huawei.. anyone after a s23+? 😂

Last edited:
Probably not for most, I have been dealing with a 6 year old Huawei so anything will most likely be an upgrade but I'd also want something that would last that length of time again, probably got no chance.

The point I was making was more to do with the OP who was talking about an iPhone 14, for him it would be cheaper to go down the contract route yet everyone else was saying buy it outright then get sim only, I just was showing that its actually cheaper for that phone down the old contract route.

I suppose if you really want the latest shiniest model and can't afford the upfront costs then it can be cheaper to get one on contract but when I see people paying £50+/month contracts then have to wonder if they have more money than sense.

A 6 year old phone is going to be next to useless now but a £200-300 midrange phone will be suitable for most needs and last a few years.

I suppose if you really want the latest shiniest model and can't afford the upfront costs then it can be cheaper to get one on contract but when I see people paying £50+/month contracts then have to wonder if they have more money than sense.

A 6 year old phone is going to be next to useless now but a £200-300 midrange phone will be suitable for most needs and last a few years.
Aye my battery lasts about 2/3 hours and the screen has apps burnt into it, I just don't have a clue what phone I want and I can't be bothered looking into mid priced phones to see which are decent, yes I'm very lazy.

With regards to wanting the latest, it's cheaper paying every month over buying it outright, more sensible to pay £50 a month for 24 months rather than £1100 then £10 a month for 24 months.

They aren't just phones though are they, pretty much mini computers in your pocket. Amount of time people spend on them isn't a surprised people are prepared to spend money.

That iPhone 14 price is for the 128gb model. That'll fill up quite quickly.

My SIM only contract has been free for the last few months. It did used to be £10 but now £7 but it's often free because I use an app called airtime rewards. You get cashback for spending in certain places and when it accumulates you just redeem whatever you want against your phone bill.

What will you fill the 128gb up with ? 95% of my stuff is streamed these days.

With regards to wanting the latest, it's cheaper paying every month over buying it outright, more sensible to pay £50 a month for 24 months rather than £1100 then £10 a month for 24 months.
A lot of them still do interest free when you buy outright, Samsung do
What will you fill the 128gb up with ? 95% of my stuff is streamed these days.
I'm over 128gb like.
I do have photos and stuff backed up on the cloud but still in my phone.
Plus apps take up a lot.

Screenshot_20240107_093741_One UI Home.jpg

Attachments

You must be registered for see attachments list
Last edited:
Don’t start me on EE, signed up to a new Broadband contract with BT in December, recommended an EE deal, replaced my sons sim who was with BT for ten pounds a month, bargain I thought until they cut him off without warning and have blacklisted my credit file, as the numpty who sold me the deal ticked the wrong box.
Five hours last week just trying to sort out a ten pound bill, all because some numpty didn’t do their job properly, and I gave them a ten star review. Typical Manc.
Apparently they aren’t the same company whenever I speak to anyone, fuming! One lady was so helpful and from Sunderland, we had a good chat etc etc but everyone else has been a nightmare, swear the adverts say better together.

Back