Philliskirk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Played alongside Grant Brown all the way through junior and senior school, I also played with Grant and Gary Breeds (rip mate) for Whitburn on a Sunday morning. Both lads were very very talented but Gary was like a bloke playing against kids sometimes, he was definitely a naturally gifted footballer and was head and shoulders above anyone else. The Whitburn team went to France to play in a tournament against different teams from around Europe and we had an excellent side but nobody would believe we were only 15 year olds. If my memory serves me well, we were drawn against the French side in the semi’s and the cheating frogs fielded a blokes side so they could get to the final. It started with them kicking lumps out of us trying to intimidate us as we were much younger than them but we gave just as good as we got. We ended up getting beat 1-0, I think by a very dubious offside goal. When the final whistle went there was quite a few fireworks . There were quite a lot of talented lads around at that time and in my opinion, quite a few more should have made the grade. Like most lads on here they will have played with or against some cracking Sunderland lads over the years.

Idiot mate. No idea what happened to him since turning an adult as he was a decent enough lad as a kid, apart from his big ego that is. He certainly wasnt a fighter from what I remember and it seems hes been in bother a few times for assault and that. Definitely seems to have anger issues

Some very talented players in my age group and loads were attached to clubs. Only 2 went on to player pro football, no very successfully mind. Glen Robson went on to play for Rochdale and Darlington and the infamous Paul Conlon played for Hartlepool before signing for Sunderland. He was later banned from football for an assault on a ref.

Glen was an excellent striker. I never rated Conlon at all there were much better players than him my age
Robson was one of the best under 18’s around.
A helluva player, thought he’d go far.

Robson was one of the best under 18’s around.
A helluva player, thought he’d go far.
Excellent goal scorer. I think he had bad injuries.

The 2 best players in that age group didnt make it. Danny Dennis was at Chelsea, then later had a chance as Sunderland. The other was Paul Richardson who was at Sunderland

Idiot mate. No idea what happened to him since turning an adult as he was a decent enough lad as a kid, apart from his big ego that is. He certainly wasnt a fighter from what I remember and it seems hes been in bother a few times for assault and that. Definitely seems to have anger issues
He was early 20s when I knew him. Yes he had an ego. Angry if didn't give him the ball every fecking time , but not a fighter.

Wasn't there I played with him . I'm 10 year older. Feeling he will have been about 21 .

Obviously off the rails. No fixed abode .

Own father . Wow.

If guilty I may add but looking that way.

Played alongside Grant Brown all the way through junior and senior school, I also played with Grant and Gary Breeds (rip mate) for Whitburn on a Sunday morning. Both lads were very very talented but Gary was like a bloke playing against kids sometimes, he was definitely a naturally gifted footballer and was head and shoulders above anyone else. The Whitburn team went to France to play in a tournament against different teams from around Europe and we had an excellent side but nobody would believe we were only 15 year olds. If my memory serves me well, we were drawn against the French side in the semi’s and the cheating frogs fielded a blokes side so they could get to the final. It started with them kicking lumps out of us trying to intimidate us as we were much younger than them but we gave just as good as we got. We ended up getting beat 1-0, I think by a very dubious offside goal. When the final whistle went there was quite a few fireworks . There were quite a lot of talented lads around at that time and in my opinion, quite a few more should have made the grade. Like most lads on here they will have played with or against some cracking Sunderland lads over the years.
As I think I probably said when this thread started Bertie was the best player I played against as a boy, better than Gasgoine imho, I am played directly against both, Bertie embarrassed me even though he was a year young, Gazza who was a year older never did that

Mist have been before Quinny. Can u remember when the IRA turned up amd got into the arms n threatened him early one morning for unpaid debt? Sure they put a fake bomb in his mouth.

Wasn't the IRA it was locals and an irish connection, paid for drugs with dodgy money. Know someone who did jail for it very well

Last edited:
He was playing for The Sportsman’s Arms in his 20’s in the Peterlee and District League second division and wasn’t the best player in that side
I played for the Sportmans for 10 years, we won everything under Hicker (Sp)
Wasn't there I played with him . I'm 10 year older. Feeling he will have been about 21 .

Obviously off the rails. No fixed abode .

Own father . Wow.

If guilty I may add but looking that way.
Your'e the same age as me, who did you play for?

Last edited by a moderator:
Excellent goal scorer. I think he had bad injuries.

The 2 best players in that age group didnt make it. Danny Dennis was at Chelsea, then later had a chance as Sunderland. The other was Paul Richardson who was at Sunderland
Aye Danny Dennis.
A marvellous player.

Me fatha told me different .
The Irish lad was a proper loyalist who couldn't go back to Ireland but the HCA had nothing to do with religion, one of the others was from Pennywell. They all got 9 to 10 years and I met the Irish lad and seemed a nice fella but obviously nuts. His prison cell had pictures or British soldiers all over it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back