PGA Tour has agreed to merge with Saudi-backed rival LIV

not sure what people want Rory to say. you now have no choice as a professional golfer but to suck it up and get on with it unless you fancy early retirement or something. they'll have been promised a wad of cash and will just end up towing the line. the Saudi's are gradually taking over the sporting world and there's fuck all anyone can do about it as they have basically unlimited funds

Queen Mandy brokering the deal. She’s some negotiator.
From memory you’re a very left leaning poster. I understand when Newcastle are involved the line can be a bit blurry since they’re you’re club but surely you can admit there’s a cause for concern here?

Can't really say anything else I guess if he wants to continue playing professional golf. Pipe dream would have been the players saying no and walking away or working towards a comp away from it, but the ly would just lose out anyway as pif can just keep flinging cash and that talks to most people at the end of the day. Sad that it's the way it is though

not sure what people want Rory to say. you now have no choice as a professional golfer but to suck it up and get on with it unless you fancy early retirement or something. they'll have been promised a wad of cash and will just end up towing the line. the Saudi's are gradually taking over the sporting world and there's fuck all anyone can do about it as they have basically unlimited funds
I said at the time of the NUFC takeover (and was ridiculed by many) that these lads have unprecedented amounts of cash to burn. Aramco is the in the top 3 companies in the world by market cap (has been #1) but unlike Amazon or Apple spitting out oil is a pure cash cow. No real shareholders to worry about or nee innovation needed to stay ahead of the competition. Only last week the cartel ‘voted’ to reduce production to keep prices high.
I’m not sure of their end game though. I fully understand the concept of sports washing but they’ve been getting by without investing abroad for years, other than racehorses.

He has no choice at all. However it is rather amusing. Not nearly as bad as Monahan though.

If you don’t like my morals - I have others.

Rory looked absolutely gutted in that presser. Feel gutted for him. Sports in an absolute mess at the moment left right and centre. People at the top can’t grab the Saudi money quick enough.

I said at the time of the NUFC takeover (and was ridiculed by many) that these lads have unprecedented amounts of cash to burn. Aramco is the in the top 3 companies in the world by market cap (has been #1) but unlike Amazon or Apple spitting out oil is a pure cash cow. No real shareholders to worry about or nee innovation needed to stay ahead of the competition. Only last week the cartel ‘voted’ to reduce production to keep prices high.
I’m not sure of their end game though. I fully understand the concept of sports washing but they’ve been getting by without investing abroad for years, other than racehorses.
They’re aware that the global demand for their oil is going to fall off a cliff and they’ll wield absolutely no power if everyone thinks they’re a bunch of backward cunts and they have nowt else. But not they can use their endless supplies of cash to buy themselves a much more palatable reputation as well as holding a number of major institutions when the oil demand disappears which will retain their global power. Perversely, despite having a load of laws and beliefs that are hideously outdated, as well as their ruling class being a generally appalling bunch they’re probably more forward thinking than any other country.

They’re aware that the global demand for their oil is going to fall off a cliff and they’ll wield absolutely no power if everyone thinks they’re a bunch of backward cunts and they have nowt else. But not they can use their endless supplies of cash to buy themselves a much more palatable reputation as well as holding a number of major institutions when the oil demand disappears which will retain their global power. Perversely, despite having a load of laws and beliefs that are hideously outdated, as well as their ruling class being a generally appalling bunch they’re probably more forward thinking than any other country.
It won’t fall off a cliff as they’re forward integrated (via Sabic and JVs with big chemical players) into oil derived plastics which although demand may drop, it won’t be sudden.
They certainly seem to be a lot more forward looking than when I first dealt with them ~15 years ago.

Last edited:
It won’t fall off a cliff as they’re forward integrated (via Sabic and JVs with big chemical players) into oil derived plastics which although demand may drop, it won’t be sudden.
They certainly seem to be a lot more forward looking than when I first dealt with them ~15 years ago.
Yeah, it’s not going to happen over night so off a cliff was maybe an overstatement but the point still stands, they’re aware their main source of income is going to drop off over the next 30 years so they’re forward planning to retain (or improve) their global position.

Back