Petrol prices

Indeed but I never drive to a cheaper filling station. The coppers difference makes it irrelevant and the cheaper ones are often busier.
This! You probably get people driving to another station to save a penny or 2 a litre, yet not realising it costs them anywhere from 10-20p per mile in fuel to get there and back 😆

Another thing is the road tax (anar) as it all costs per mile driven. My last car was summit like £300 a year and I've been doing about 3,000 miles a year since 2011 given I don't need to travel much for work so it was costing 10p per mile road tax. I was getting 30mpg from it and simple calculations told me the road tax was costing me 65p in road tax per litre of fuel used (£300 tax divided by 450 litres a year) 🤣

Due to my low mileage, the total cost per mile having a fancy car was pushing £1 per mile when you hoy in the £300 insurance. Even going to play footy a few times a week was costing me 5-8 quid for the round trip.

My current car does 60mpg and is summit like 30 a year to tax so probably costs 20p per mile all in with insurance cost. Its all rough figures but you should get the jist if you got this far. Though I'll have the gas guzzler again before they stop selling them.

This! You probably get people driving to another station to save a penny or 2 a litre, yet not realising it costs them anywhere from 10-20p per mile in fuel to get there and back 😆

Another thing is the road tax (anar) as it all costs per mile driven. My last car was summit like £300 a year and I've been doing about 3,000 miles a year since 2011 given I don't need to travel much for work so it was costing 10p per mile road tax. I was getting 30mpg from it and simple calculations told me the road tax was costing me 65p in road tax per litre of fuel used (£300 tax divided by 450 litres a year) 🤣

Due to my low mileage, the total cost per mile having a fancy car was pushing £1 per mile when you hoy in the £300 insurance. Even going to play footy a few times a week was costing me 5-8 quid for the round trip.

My current car does 60mpg and is summit like 30 a year to tax so probably costs 20p per mile all in with insurance cost. Its all rough figures but you should get the jist if you got this far. Though I'll have the gas guzzler again before they stop selling them.
Sadly yes I read the lot. 😉

Re petrol quality...

Is BP Esso better than supermarket stuff? Or is that a myth?
Yes it is Marra, the big oil companies sell fuel to the supermarkets, they give them base grade fuels with very few (if any) of the additives they put in their own fuel. These additives keep your engine clean which in turn helps with economy. I always advise if asked that if you are going to buy supermarket fuel put a tank full of premium brand fuel in every 3 or 4 fill ups to keep things clean.
Someone will be along (as usual) to tell me that they know a tanker driver who says it’s all the same stuff but after 35 years in a major oil company i assure you this is fact, after all why would shell give tesco their crown jewel optimax to sell cheap.

Last edited:

Back