Peru, Lima primarily

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like the game is in Lima, is theee anywhere decent in Lima or shall we say has a bit of nightlife away from there? It’s gonna be a group of 7/8.
We drink a lot

@peachbum is your woman for this.

I've been to Callao the port for Lima loads but scarcely got ashore to check the place out.
Callao, get out of there pronto, or don't go.
Miraflores is safe but stay out of McDonald's etc, loads of other places to go.
Watch, or try , paragliding off the cliffs.
The beach is worth a walk if you like to see different places but not if you are expecting exotic.
Two or three days tops is probably enough for Lima.
It's cat city. Cats everywhere.
Apparently nicer places to the north, but not been.

Lake Titicaca is a great place to go. You can do short boat trips, or longer ones and stay on one of the islands with the locals. Very interesting.

Then onwards to Bolivia and or Chile...........

anyone been?

Worth going for a week or just few days.

Best airlines/routes/accom

Price of a pint?

Help and wanky comments appreciated

And no I’m not Paddington bear
Lots of hostels in Lima.
Try a Pisco Sour , think that's the name.

Last edited:
About a quid for a large cusquena. Don't stay in the centre, pretty rough at night IIRC. Stay on the coast in Miraflores or Barranco.

Most airlines fly (BA, KLM, AF, Iberia), airport is about 30 min drive to places above.

It's perpetually rubbish weather, is a bit of a dump in places but I quite liked it. Huacachina is about 4 hours away and worth a look if you want to get out of the city for a couple of days. Desert oasis.

Mention Solano and you'll be reet.
Why? He was Greek ffs!
That was sharp swept under the carpet by the authorities wasn’t it? He should’ve been deported and you lot should’ve been fined and lost every point gained thus relegated. Ji was here legally before you start.

If you’re going to go all the way there, make a trip of it properly. It’s an amazing country but a week will be a waste. It’s a f***ing long way

Time off make it difficult so it’s gonna be 5/7 days tops, supposed to be announcing another game somewhere in South America a few days later which at the moment is pure guess work as to who amd Where.

We’re booked up for the Inca trail this year, but we’re advised Lima isn’t really worth spending any time in. So we’ve got a few nights in Cusco and a few at lake titikaka either side of the trek.

Basically, what we did way back. Flew into Lima, stayed overnight nearish to the airport, flew straight up to Puno for Lake TIticaca (a bit daft as the altitude hits you there with no intermediate stop), did a day long tourist bus thing from Puno to Cusco (5 or 6 historic stops en route), had a few days in Cusco, did a trek (2 of our group managed to get booked on the Inca Trail, the rest of us did a 3 day mountain walk, ending at Ollantaytambo which has a stop on the rail line to Macchu Pichu. Saw Macchu Pichu at dawn, before the big tours get in. Back to Cusco for another night then back to Lima for a couple of nights.

We did a day long boat trip on Titicaca, visited the floating islands etc. Puno's a lot smaller than Cusco but there's still a lot of stuff going on.

Basically, what we did way back. Flew into Lima, stayed overnight nearish to the airport, flew straight up to Puno for Lake TIticaca (a bit daft as the altitude hits you there with no intermediate stop), did a day long tourist bus thing from Puno to Cusco (5 or 6 historic stops en route), had a few days in Cusco, did a trek (2 of our group managed to get booked on the Inca Trail, the rest of us did a 3 day mountain walk, ending at Ollantaytambo which has a stop on the rail line to Macchu Pichu. Saw Macchu Pichu at dawn, before the big tours get in. Back to Cusco for another night then back to Lima for a couple of nights.

We did a day long boat trip on Titicaca, visited the floating islands etc. Puno's a lot smaller than Cusco but there's still a lot of stuff going on.
Nice one, thanks for the heads up. Enjoy it?

We’re already booked into the Inca trail so at least that is taken care of. We stay at Machu Picchu over night so will get the chance to see it early, but think the last day of the trail involves a very early start to get there before the rush anyway. Heard it gets really busy.

Nice one, thanks for the heads up. Enjoy it?

We’re already booked into the Inca trail so at least that is taken care of. We stay at Machu Picchu over night so will get the chance to see it early, but think the last day of the trail involves a very early start to get there before the rush anyway. Heard it gets really busy.

I did indeed enjoy it. 15 years or so back so some exact details are sketchy. The two mates who did the Inca Trail came into Machu Picchu over the mountains so got the view of it at dawn, which I'd guess is what you'll do? The local village, Machu Picchu Pueblo (aka Aguas Calientes) is basically set up for tourists so mostly seems to be hotels/hostels and bars/restaurants. Fine for stopping overnight.

I did indeed enjoy it. 15 years or so back so some exact details are sketchy. The two mates who did the Inca Trail came into Machu Picchu over the mountains so got the view of it at dawn, which I'd guess is what you'll do? The local village, Machu Picchu Pueblo (aka Aguas Calientes) is basically set up for tourists so mostly seems to be hotels/hostels and bars/restaurants. Fine for stopping overnight.
I really liked Aguas Calientes. Gotta be careful about getting ripped off when buying food from restaurants but there were loads of interesting sculptures and that there. Properly remote, like, loads of power cuts.

Not sure if this will be of any help to anyone, but this is how I got to Machu Picchu from Cusco on a budget. That bus journey was certainly an experience...

Last edited by a moderator:
I really liked Aguas Calientes. Gotta be careful about getting ripped off when buying food from restaurants but there were loads of interesting sculptures and that there. Properly remote, like, loads of power cuts.

Not sure if this will be of any help to anyone, but this is how I got to Machu Picchu from Cusco on a budget. That bus journey was certainly an experience...
Read the blog people!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back