Pease Pudding.

Not sure if it’s this one I’ve used but it’s the closest I can find online.

Will give that a try.

I’ve tried making it a few times in the past and it’s been shit each time. The stuff you can buy in the north east is class, the stuff you get in tins elsewhere isn’t worthy of the name.

I’ve tried making it a few times in the past and it’s been shit each time. The stuff you can buy in the north east is class, the stuff you get in tins elsewhere isn’t worthy of the name.
It’s easy. What went wrong? Too watery or something? Did you soak them and use a decent stock?

Grainy and bland. Each time I made it from ham stock that I’d made myself and the stock had plenty of flavour but it didn’t seem to fully absorb.
Soak the peas over night and when you cook next time add some bicarbonate like you would making steepy peas. Make sure you add butter and pulse it like you would a smoothie. I’d put a lid on the pot too. create steam through the whole thing.

Soak the peas over night and when you cook next time add some bicarbonate like you would making steepy peas. Make sure you add butter and pulse it like you would a smoothie. I’d put a lid on the pot too. create steam through the whole thing.
From memory I don’t think I did soak the peas overnight so that’s probably where I went wrong.

Cook a gammon or ham in the slow cooker and then use the left over meaty water to make the pease pudding. The pease pudding tastes much nicer that using plain water or veggie stock.

I chuck the yellow split peas in the slow cooker with the meaty water, some cracked black pepper and the shredded meat crumbs after carving the joint.

From memory I don’t think I did soak the peas overnight so that’s probably where I went wrong.
Aye that’ll be it. Once you’ve done it once you’ll find it easy. Bicarbonate is great too for any dried peas when they’re on the heat.
Cook a gammon or ham in the slow cooker and then use the left over meaty water to make the pease pudding. The pease pudding tastes much nicer that using plain water or veggie stock.

I chuck the yellow split peas in the slow cooker with the meaty water, some cracked black pepper and the shredded meat crumbs after carving the joint.
Yep ideal.

Back