PDC World Matchplay Darts

Status
Not open for further replies.

And? you think the pdc came out their ma`s fannies hitting 180`s straight off? They`ve all got to start somewhere, some advance some don`t but enjoy their own upper levels of county championships

The same people who slag off the BDO will happily champion lower league football.
The BDO serves a purpose....90% of the best players came via the BDO system.

Aye. The way Sky Sports and the PDC have modernised Darts has been excellent. Much more watchable now. I physically can't watch the BDO stuff. It's so so boring and insipid.

It's the same sport, it just hasn't been manipulated to target the mass market, i.e. pissed up football fans who's main reasons for attending are to have a 'night out' and sing irrelevant Toure songs with the sport they are 'watching' merely in the background.

Hearn Junior is doing the extact same thing with boxing with the 'intense beef' and 'needle' at press conferences and fake WWE style rivalries to again cater for the mass football market which largely results in 1/100 fights on normal Sky card to protect his assets, building up to the 7 or 8 PPVs per year. Both are kernts IMO. I obviously see the reason for doing it and venues, tv ratings and prize money have all increased, but if you are a traditional fan of the respective sports then most generally don't like what the Hearn's have done - if you are a football fan wanting to watch something a bit different then it's more likely to be up your street.

Posted this before (it's a couple of years old), but 12.15-14.15 sums it up perfectly, straight from the horse's mouth.

I watch both codes by the way and enjoy both for different reasons.

On to tonight, do people think that will be the last we see of Taylor at the Matchplay or do you think he will be back for another year? Being used to winning for so long and seeing MVG pretty much clean up all the TV tournaments must have been so deflating, but to pretty much thrash him in the quarters and then double the legs of competent players like Lewis and Wright much surely make that fire return. He's been superb this week.

Last edited:
It's the same sport, it just hasn't been manipulated to target the mass market, i.e. pissed up football fans who's main reasons for attending are to have a 'night out' and sing irrelevant Toure songs with the sport they are 'watching' merely in the background.

Hearn Junior is doing the extact same thing with boxing with the 'intense beef' and 'needle' at press conferences and fake WWE style rivalries to again cater for the mass football market which largely results in 1/100 fights on normal Sky card to protect his assets, building up to the 7 or 8 PPVs per year. Both are kernts IMO. I obviously see the reason for doing it and venues, tv ratings and prize money have all increased, but if you are a traditional fan of the respective sports then most generally don't like what the Hearn's have done - if you are a football fan wanting to watch something a bit different then it's more likely to be up your street.

Posted this before (it's a couple of years old), but 12.15-14.15 sums it up perfectly, straight from the horse's mouth.

I watch both codes by the way and enjoy both for different reasons.

On to tonight, do people think that will be the last we see of Taylor at the Matchplay or do you think he will be back for another year? Being used to winning for so long and seeing MVG pretty much clean up all the TV tournaments must have been so deflating, but to pretty much thrash him in the quarters and then double the legs of competent players like Lewis and Wright much surely make that fire return. He's been superb this week.

I get your point but I feel to a certain extent the BDO missed a trick. It's little things like the commentary, the graphics on screen, information given regarding scores, walking in, videos and interviews, atmosphere, the BDO's rules etc. I understand that the BDO are never gunna have Yaya Toure chants (nor am I saying they should be) but we live in a day and age where that thing is popular with a lot of people and you either run with it to a certain extent or get left behind a little bit.

I don't mind the darts but the overall coverage of the Masters or BDO World Championships is poor. I probably went a bit OTT by saying I can't watch it - I usually do watch a few BDO matches but it just doesn't really interest or excite me. It's as much the BBC fault as BDO.

I've no doubt there are talented darts players in the BDO and a lot of the top PDC players are ex BDO. It's still the main, original, grassroots darts tournament. But the PDC has all the big names now. It comes down to the fact that SKY/PDC televise more tournaments as well like I must admit. Just what I prefer. I have to say the Grand Slam of Darts with the BDO and PDC players mixing is usually quite interesting.

I'm a massive Taylor fan. There's a part of me wanted him to retire tonight. 16 World Titles, 16 Matchplays. Thanks very much lads, sail off into the sunset. The annoying thing is, he is looking sharper, more consistent and focused now than he has in years. His scoring has always been heavy but his doubles were so so so much better this tournament. He hit doubles with the first and second dart so many times. He looked energetic (that has become a bigger problem as he gets older) and I think that makes him play better for longer periods of time.

not a fan of Taylor but was happy to see him win tonight as he's been superb this week rolling back the years. he should have announced his retirement on the stage going out on a tournament win and 16/16 for the two biggest major's

he's been poor by his standards for years and it'll be a shame if he goes out with a whimper at the world's as can't see him repeating the level he was at this week again

I get your point but I feel to a certain extent the BDO missed a trick. It's little things like the commentary, the graphics on screen, information given regarding scores, walking in, videos and interviews, atmosphere, the BDO's rules etc. I understand that the BDO are never gunna have Yaya Toure chants (nor am I saying they should be) but we live in a day and age where that thing is popular with a lot of people and you either run with it to a certain extent or get left behind a little bit.

I don't mind the darts but the overall coverage of the Masters or BDO World Championships is poor. I probably went a bit OTT by saying I can't watch it - I usually do watch a few BDO matches but it just doesn't really interest or excite me. It's as much the BBC fault as BDO.

I've no doubt there are talented darts players in the BDO and a lot of the top PDC players are ex BDO. It's still the main, original, grassroots darts tournament. But the PDC has all the big names now. It comes down to the fact that SKY/PDC televise more tournaments as well like I must admit. Just what I prefer. I have to say the Grand Slam of Darts with the BDO and PDC players mixing is usually quite interesting.

I'm a massive Taylor fan. There's a part of me wanted him to retire tonight. 16 World Titles, 16 Matchplays. Thanks very much lads, sail off into the sunset. The annoying thing is, he is looking sharper, more consistent and focused now than he has in years. His scoring has always been heavy but his doubles were so so so much better this tournament. He hit doubles with the first and second dart so many times. He looked energetic (that has become a bigger problem as he gets older) and I think that makes him play better for longer periods of time.

That's a fair post mate and some good points made. I do know what you mean and I can accept the PDC is a more watchable product and the BDO can come across as a bit outdated and boring. It was the physically can't watch that prompted my response but you have explained that as well. I can fully understand people just wanting to watch the PDC and not being too bothered at all about the BDO and there are many on here like that, but i generally don;t get the general stern dislike for it as it is generally the same principals and rules just obviously less quality and less razzmatazz.

I was never really a Taylor fan when he was at his most dominant, but since MVG has burst on the scene he has grown on me more and more and it will be weird not watching his as i have followed darts since at least 2003 and haven't known it without him. He was absolutely dominating games as well so it's obviously not as if he is just making up the numbers now. I thoroughly enjoyed his game against MVG the other night :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back