Paul Coughlin

i don't really agree with this, tbh if we lost woody it would be because we can't afford to pay him the going rate, not because of the ecb.

sadly the going rate is higher than most counties except surrey and yorkshire can pay, the other counties can afford one or two top players but we have an awful lot of players who deserve top money. this isn't really the case with coughlin [yet, hopefully] and having stoneman, borthwick & mustard on decent money and off the bill now hopefully we can lock up the likes of carse & weighell to long term deals as we have done with jennings and coughlin

overjoyed he has signed up.

Totally disagree like, wrong.

We can't make Wood one of our top earners for a player who might be called away at any opportunity.

We can't make Wood one of our top earners for a player who might be called away at any opportunity.

but other clubs could? that's not to say the england contract situation is in any way fair.

would make much more sense if all counties just paid the players wages and any time england wanted to use them or request they skip time [whether that is matches, training, touring etc] the ecb pay both the player a set amount and the club is given a set amount.

but other clubs could? that's not to say the england contract situation is in any way fair.

would make much more sense if all counties just paid the players wages and any time england wanted to use them or request they skip time [whether that is matches, training, touring etc] the ecb pay both the player a set amount and the club is given a set amount.

:eek::eek:

You what? That would be a step to the dark ages man, can't you remember the 90s

Al they have to do is play part of his wages when he comes off a central contract

Its basic logic like

If Stokes is contracted to England, then Durham budget without him, if he suddenly comes off it, they are fucked as they have an extra player to pay for

Not sure what you are on about like, no offence.

:eek::eek:

You what? That would be a step to the dark ages man, can't you remember the 90s

Al they have to do is play part of his wages when he comes off a central contract

Its basic logic like

If Stokes is contracted to England, then Durham budget without him, if he suddenly comes off it, they are fucked as they have an extra player to pay for

Not sure what you are on about like, no offence

non taken like, difference of opinion is all. and tbh i didn't really follow cricket in the 90s that much so no.

a footy relegation style parachute payment idea is not a bad idea but i think there should be more financial reward for the clubs that provide england players, although there may well be hidden in subsidies, i don't know.

i don't see why it would be so bad to have the ecb pay as they play it would have two obvious benefits immediately - england players wages wouldn't be pushed up so highly that counties couldn't afford them in the first place, and they would always be part of teh budget prevent this need for parachute payments - their wages would be nice and high all the while they are getting england fees on top of county wages. also it would mean whether players are centrally contracted, on incremental deals or not on any deals it all works the same. if for example borthwick had been called up for the sri lanka series he'd have been missing for a long stretch and we'd have got balls all for providing him afaik, unless this is another part of ecb contracting i don't understand

ironically as a result of him not being called up his form disappeared and we wouldn't really have missed him

We can't make Wood one of the top earners at the club because of his injury record. If he had have missed out on a central contract Durham would have released him because they could not risk giving him a 2/3 year deal as one of the highest earners at the club and then for him to play a hand full of matches.
Thankfully he has bowled fantastic since he has comeback from injury and earned another central contract. Fingers crossed he can stay fit and have a few good years for England.

Playing as a batsman only today for Nottinghamshire, he did the other day too - wonder if he still thinks moving there would improve his game........?

Had a career threatening injury while away with the lions. Give the lad some time he’s just come back. Read through the thread and tell me people don’t rate him... obv very bitter that he left but only a select few know the facts of why....

A select few who don’t care to share such information? Forgive people for suspecting bullshit.

Back