Paul Coughlin

This is fantastic news

We really need to invest in this lad on the pitch, that means batting him at 5 or 6 and as a genuine batsman when he can't bowl. It is a big ask for the lad but we need to.

I am over the moon he is staying.

Local lad with absolutely loads of talent and potential. I have always rated him highly as a batsman.

Don't want to put any more pressure on him but if he stays fit he will play for England within the next two years.

Might be right.

For me more needs to be done to protect counties in this situation.

The aim for every county is to get every cricketer they own to play for England, basically. But when Mark Wood was under threat of not getting a central contract we would have lost him as we have not budgeted for that.

For me that is ridiculous, we spend years developing the lad for international cricket only to lose him due to the ECB's decision

They should have a year after they come off a central contract where they pay part of the player's wages.

We all want to see the likes of Coughlin fulfill their ambition but doing so while staying at Durham. Slightly off point sorry.

This lad has a great future ahead of him, fitness prevailing.
Totally agree with this poster.
Steve Harmison once said "I am the best 90mph bowler in the country, I am not the best 80mph bowler".
This is Coughlin's challenge.
Stay fit, work hard and talent will shine.

Totally agree with this poster.
Steve Harmison once said "I am the best 90mph bowler in the country, I am not the best 80mph bowler".
This is Coughlin's challenge.
Stay fit, work hard and talent will shine.

We need to start playing him as a batsman, even if he is not fit enough to bowl, lad needs match experience.

I am over the moon he is staying.

Local lad with absolutely loads of talent and potential. I have always rated him highly as a batsman.

Don't want to put any more pressure on him but if he stays fit he will play for England within the next two years.

:lol: Love that sentence. Don't want to put any pressure on him and then immediately do! I agree though he does seem a very talented cricketer and one that can do well in all formats.

For me more needs to be done to protect counties in this situation.

The aim for every county is to get every cricketer they own to play for England, basically. But when Mark Wood was under threat of not getting a central contract we would have lost him as we have not budgeted for that.

For me that is ridiculous, we spend years developing the lad for international cricket only to lose him due to the ECB's decision

i don't really agree with this, tbh if we lost woody it would be because we can't afford to pay him the going rate, not because of the ecb.

sadly the going rate is higher than most counties except surrey and yorkshire can pay, the other counties can afford one or two top players but we have an awful lot of players who deserve top money. this isn't really the case with coughlin [yet, hopefully] and having stoneman, borthwick & mustard on decent money and off the bill now hopefully we can lock up the likes of carse & weighell to long term deals as we have done with jennings and coughlin

overjoyed he has signed up.

Back