Paul Cook

4th in the National League at the moment, a staggering 26 points off 1st and 25 points off 2nd.

I note he oversaw a 9 game winless run from the end of January to the end of February also. :eek:

The bloke went from being in charge of one of the biggest spenders and favourites for L1 promotion at the start of last season to this in the space of less than 18 months.

Remarkable.

Remember how many on here wanted him at SAFC? :lol:

4th in the National League at the moment, a staggering 26 points off 1st and 25 points off 2nd.

I note he oversaw a 9 game winless run from the end of January to the end of February also. :eek:

The bloke went from being in charge of one of the biggest spenders and favourites for L1 promotion at the start of last season to this in the space of less than 18 months.

Remarkable.

Paul Cook

Remarkable.

For what its worth the top 2 are having a ridiculous seasons hence the gaps although for a while we were matching them. We've had a wobble but we've since took 10 points from 12 and now back in the hunt for 3rd place. County have done well to match Wrexham but have been lucky with no injuries etc whilst Wrexham are working to a budget that would eclipse many League 1 teams.

As mentioned previously on this thread he wouldnt have dropped into the National League for any other club i suspect bar an offer from Wrexham that couldnt be turned down. Its only his history with us that has seen him come back to us.

For what its worth the top 2 are having a ridiculous seasons hence the gaps although for a while we were matching them. We've had a wobble but we've since took 10 points from 12 and now back in the hunt for 3rd place. County have done well to match Wrexham but have been lucky with no injuries etc whilst Wrexham are working to a budget that would eclipse many League 1 teams.

As mentioned previously on this thread he wouldnt have dropped into the National League for any other club i suspect bar an offer from Wrexham that couldnt be turned down. Its only his history with us that has seen him come back to us.

Favourites for the NL title next season then if the current top two go up?

Remarkable.

Town have suffered their (now annual) post FA Cup third round collapse. Tshimanga leaving on loan to Peterborough hasn't helped.

Still think it's scandalous that only two teams go up from the National league.

I see Scunthorpe are right down the bottom there. Must be only 10ish years ago they were in the Championship.
They were absolutely broke and I think close to being wound up in January. Presumably a takeover finally went through, a mate who lives that way said there were a bunch of last minute wrangles over rent and training grounds.

Losses , was it over £2m mate?

Saw a snippet in the DT from the AGM

Unsure mate I only get to a game or two a season (made it as far as York before finding Notts County game postponed, so just carried on to go out for food and beer). Parents still live that way. It was about a 500k loss the first year after the community trust took over from Allen, presumably latest accounts are due.

(Awaiting questions on why I go and watch Wolves, Chesterfield and Sunderland :))

Last edited:
Favourites for the NL title next season then if the current top two go up?
We’d definitely be amongst them if that was the case….I’ve a nagging feeling that Wrexham will win it and then Notts County will blow it in the play offs. As someone else mentions it’s ridiculous that only two go up but some talk that could change for next season.
Town have suffered their (now annual) post FA Cup third round collapse. Tshimanga leaving on loan to Peterborough hasn't helped.
Has been annoying how we imploded slightly over that spell. Tshimanga going not as big a deal as losing him to injury last season was. He’s barely featured partly due to getting over his injury and also he’s not wanted to be at the club after a move to Birmingham fell through in august.

Signings of Dallas, Colclough and McCallum have perked us up a bit rather than relying on Quigley.

Last edited:
Well it was a hard watch at Chesterfield yesterday but we’ve made the final and really go in to that game with all the pressure on County.

Watched both Caanty and the Spireites yesterday rather than the murderers.

Both were edge of the seat viewing.

Despite my dee-dar allegiance, I like Chesterfield and will be pleased for whoever wins the final to be back in the EFL

That’s oh so typical Town @Bossworld @jonb
Within touching distance and wallop
Don’t think anyone would forget that Boro semi final
My football allegiances make little sense to anyone looking on, through a combination of moves and my Dad taking me to Wolves during my teenage years. Suppose me getting SAFC season cards for my young lad continues that pattern.

But yesterday really f***ing hurt. I haven't made it to a Chesterfield game this season, Sunderland have taken up a lot of my weekends, and the one match I attempted to get to (Notts County at home) got called off as I was halfway down the A1. Yet for the last 10 years it's been a nice thing to do and get the lads from 6th form back together for a day out.

The club is hopefully in a better place now, particularly with Wrexham and Notts out of the division. My father in law moved up to C'field in the 80s and could remember 2k attendances at Saltergate, whereas the attendances this season in the 5th tier, put many Scottish clubs to shame.

Talking of sliding door moments like 1997 against Boro, I remember seeing Brighton come to Saltergate on a midweek in the early 00s. They didn't bring enough fans to warrant sticking them in the Cross St terrace so they just tucked them in the corner of the main stand (wooden benches). Look at Brighton today.

Also, PNE beating Chesterfield in the League One play off semis, was only 8 years ago. Guess who Chesterfield's manager was that day...

My football allegiances make little sense to anyone looking on, through a combination of moves and my Dad taking me to Wolves during my teenage years. Suppose me getting SAFC season cards for my young lad continues that pattern.

But yesterday really f***ing hurt. I haven't made it to a Chesterfield game this season, Sunderland have taken up a lot of my weekends, and the one match I attempted to get to (Notts County at home) got called off as I was halfway down the A1. Yet for the last 10 years it's been a nice thing to do and get the lads from 6th form back together for a day out.

The club is hopefully in a better place now, particularly with Wrexham and Notts out of the division. My father in law moved up to C'field in the 80s and could remember 2k attendances at Saltergate, whereas the attendances this season in the 5th tier, put many Scottish clubs to shame.

Talking of sliding door moments like 1997 against Boro, I remember seeing Brighton come to Saltergate on a midweek in the early 00s. They didn't bring enough fans to warrant sticking them in the Cross St terrace so they just tucked them in the corner of the main stand (wooden benches). Look at Brighton today.

Also, PNE beating Chesterfield in the League One play off semis, was only 8 years ago. Guess who Chesterfield's manager was that day...
Aye, Cookie
Got them closer to what is now the championship than anyone has for the last 70 odd years

Back