Partial eclipse of the sun 20th March 9.30am

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it always best to be surrounded by trees for shelter? And I guess you'd see the lights of Darlo from there without trees

Trees will give shelter from the wind, but restrict your view.IIRC there are some weird donut earthworks on that road that may be better.

Trees will give shelter from the wind, but restrict your view.IIRC there are some weird donut earthworks on that road that may be better.
Nomnomnom decent when I get peckish

Was thinking of a silhouette to use .

Roseberry I think. Pretty distinctive from the north, and the sun will be high enough to get above it

Never done anything like this before, what sort of settings would I use for a landscape? I'll be at work when it happens and have got permission to go out to photograph it weather permitting

Never done anything like this before, what sort of settings would I use for a landscape? I'll be at work when it happens and have got permission to go out to photograph it weather permitting
Aim for the sky and stick it on auto ;)

With film I'll do quite a bit of bracketing for once

With the digi shots there's plenty of time to nail the exposure, takes a long time for maximum cover of the sun

@smoker

Can you run pinchinthorpe through that app of yours ?

Or the road to Newton under roseberry

Last edited by a moderator:

With the digi shots there's plenty of time to nail the exposure, takes a long time for maximum cover of the sun

@smoker

Can you run pinchinthorpe through that app of yours ?

Or the road to Newton under roseberry

Its not an app, its a good old fashioned paper map.

Roseberry Topping is light green on the map which is similar to Weardale - semi-rural.

Interactive light pollution maps here:

http://www.avex-asso.org/dossiers/wordpress/?page_id=127

I was thinking along the lines of hdr :) If I get anything good it might be used for publicity shot at work. can I get a solar filter to fit lee holder? rather than buying a sheet of it?

http://www.timeanddate.com/eclipse/in/uk/middlesbrough

Same as Durham - first contact 8.29, final contact 10.44.

Dunno what going to Roseberry Topping for the eclipse will achieve, you will need a solar filter to shoot the eclipse which will prevent you capturing anything else in the same shot.
I'm probably going to have to hope for mist rising from the Cleveland hills ;)

Stranger things have happened. Will be using film, so no danger of damage to sensors

Has anyone got any plans to photo the solar eclipse this week? What equipment are you planning on using?

Has anyone got any plans to photo the solar eclipse this week? What equipment are you planning on using?

Forecast isn't too clever and I'm doing public outreach at Rainton Meadows , so unlikely to photograph it, but I have imaged partial eclipses using my 90mm/f6.9 refractor and thousand oaks filter in the past.

Still looking mostly cloudy

Scotland looks poor, better down here

Faroes might be lucky

Midlands looks best, below Humber down to Home Counties

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks! Just outside my front door. I think the cloud's actually helped with the exposure because I don't have an ND filter.
Yeah, helped me to. I ended up at Buttertubs, just followed the sunshine. Managed to get eclipse and landscape

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back