Partial eclipse of the sun 20th March 9.30am

Status
Not open for further replies.

You going? Atlantic Airways fly from Edinburgh to Vagar from March. Its somewhere I'd fancy going even if there wasn't an eclipse on.

Its total from Svalbard as well, seven hours flying via Oslo though.

Our society is planning to put on an event at Rainton Meadows or the Botanic Gardens, all welcome and no doubt free.

PS 9.30 is maximum eclipse, first contact is 8.30, last contact 10.45 if you want to track the whole eclipse. Advise a 500mm+ tele and Baader solar film.

Last edited:
You going? Atlantic Airways fly from Edinburgh to Vagar from March. Its somewhere I'd fancy going even if there wasn't an eclipse on.

Our society is planning to put on an event at Rainton Meadows or the Botanic Gardens, all welcome and no doubt free.

PS 9.30 is maximum eclipse, first contact is 8.30, last contact 10.45 if you want to track the whole eclipse. Advise a 500mm+ tele and Baader solar film.
Nah, though I do intend to do the faroes. Much neglected compared to Iceland innit

Nah, though I do intend to do the faroes. Much neglected compared to Iceland innit

It is, thinking of going there for our family holiday in August. Doesn't seem to be a lot for kids to do mind, and lots of cliffs for the buggers to fall off.

Oh aye, and can't say I approve of the Grindadrap either, but then most aurora countries seem to be bastards to Whales.

Recently added this bloke in Faroe on Feckr:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jydnis/

Last edited:
It is, thinking of going there for our family holiday in August. Doesn't seem to be a lot for kids to do mind, and lots of cliffs for the buggers to fall off.
Doesn't sounds ideal tbh :lol: Unless they particularly like trapping and eating puffins

Photo destination only for me

What would my nifty fifty get me?

Do you know how you can find out the path of the eclipse?

http://eclipse.gsfc.nasa.gov/SEgoogle/SEgoogle2001/SE2015Mar20Tgoogle.html

Any ephemeris showing angle of sun at 9.30 ?

Download Stellarium. I am going to build a 360 panoramic of the Botanical Gardens next week, to load into Stellarium to make sure it actually clears all the bloody trees.

What would my nifty fifty get me?

A disappointing small dot but you can pick up a centon mirror lens on eBay for peanuts.

Last edited:

Just looked at some prices, quite amusing ;)

Cheaper to find someone with a fishing boat in Northern Scotland

Just looked at some prices, quite amusing ;)

Cheaper to find someone with a fishing boat in Northern Scotland

Aye, they have hiked the prices for the eclipse, they made no secret of it. Good luck to them but I am not gambling those sums of money on 8 minutes of clear sky in the cloudiest place on Earth. Also, going to a place like Faroe when it is full of clownshoes is kind of defeating the point, I could go to the USA in two years and stand in the crowds.

Faroe does not actually seem that expensive the rest of the time. Flight and accommodation looks cheaper than Iceland, and you don't need to hire a monster truck to get about.

Aye, they have hiked the prices for the eclipse, they made no secret of it. Good luck to them but I am not gambling those sums of money on 8 minutes of clear sky in the cloudiest place on Earth. Also, going to a place like Faroe when it is full of clownshoes is kind of defeating the point, I could go to the USA in two years and stand in the crowds.

Faroe does not actually seem that expensive the rest of the time. Flight and accommodation looks cheaper than Iceland, and you don't need to hire a monster truck to get about.
Roads look good, and I can't believe they've built that 6.5 km tunnel :eek: Who funded that? They clearly didn't build an economy based on dodgy bankers

Roads look good, and I can't believe they've built that 6.5 km tunnel :eek: Who funded that? They clearly didn't build an economy based on dodgy bankers

Think its got tolls. The Vagar-Streymoy tunnel must be fairly new as well, that is a ferry in my 1999 guide book.

Nee bugger on here been then?

Both when yay gan. ;)
It appeals, because it looks so easy to get from one end to the other, small, but with so many different aspects

Dunno how easy the climbs are, but the tops are only about 700m

It appeals, because it looks so easy to get from one end to the other, small, but with so many different aspects

Dunno how easy the climbs are, but the tops are only about 700m

The biggest one, Slættaratindur (880m), is hikeable apparently. I have enquired. Some of the others look a bit lary mind.

The biggest one, Slættaratindur (880m), is hikeable apparently. I have enquired. Some of the others look a bit lary mind.
Whee is the pyramid from yer mates feckr?

Sun at about 28 degrees at 9.30 I think

Last edited by a moderator:
"Vikartindur.A pyramid formed mountain 680m high just outside Saksun , Faroe Islands"

Looks like you'd need climbing clobber for that.
One of those that's better from a distance

@smoker

Really difficult finding flight info, the Atlantic site is terrible

A couple of really nice locations on the tourism board homepage

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back