Parkinson interview post Bristol rovers at home

To be fair we were awful and looked to be going backwards for first couple of months under parkinson and most new signings looked average at best

In those first couple of months did you think parkinson was the right appointment?

I couldn’t make my mind up either way in all honesty, I did think that changing manager again seemed like madness, but it felt like it was going that way.

We were going backwards at an alarming rate, all im saying is it isnt a surprising the fans reacted like they did. Especially since people said ‘give them time’ over and over for managers like moyes, grayson, coleman and ross who were all not up to it

Also you couldnt even see what parkinson was building towards in those first few months

We were never going down, some supporters always go over the top but its the same the other way. We will of had supporters who thought everything would end up rosey under ross when it was clearly not going to be the case as he relied on individual players far too much
We have no idea how it would of ended under Ross it's all guess work. But those saying we would go down were just ridiculous

There are a few on here who have suddenly gone quiet, remember not that long ago 1 poster saying we will get relegated this season, and many people saying our recruitment was awful!

Aye after boxing day, when we were half way through the season and at our lowest point in our history, playing horrible football, without a win in 9 games and only 1 win since September, I predicted we would win 9 of the next 12 games, and keep 8 clean sheets in 9 games, and be within touching distance of the top 2.

To suggest fans were within thier rights to be angered at where the club was at on boxing day is ludicrous.

I think the poor January transfer window might come back to bite us on the arse

Have to admit I was one of the 'Careful what you wish for' brigade when a good majority of folks were calling for Ross to be sacked. I said we'd get someone worse - and for those first 6-8 weeks I thought I was correct.

Credit where it's due though he's doing a cracking job at present. Hopefully we can keep the run going and one of the teams above us slips up...

The Coventry game is a strange one. A draw will be a good result for them if the table still stays poised like it is. I hope we are positive on the attack and try to win it though.
Coventry game has draw written all over it. I thought they might falter at not playing in their true home ground, but they haven’t really.

Looking at the home and away form, we are both 6th, respectively and both 3rd the other way around.... if that makes sense.

Some turn around isn’t it. 8 clean sheets in 9.

Well done to Parky & the players. Chuffed the bloke is proving me massively wrong. And I mean massively:lol::oops:
I am embarrassed to admit I am wrong about Parky. I am still not sure about SD jury out...

Completely disagree tbh, we have a clear attacking plan of overloading the wings and getting crosses in from the byline, in complete contrast to Ross’s tactics which were exactly like you describe, let the best attackers (mcgeady) figure it out.

Parky deserves credit for tightening up the defence and focusing the attack to our strengths and there’s no reason to suggest it wouldn’t work in the championship too imo

Spot on.

Not only has he sorted our defence, but he's changed our style of play, and tactics to suit Gooch and Maguire. He realises if he gets the best out of them two then the chances of promotion are quite high. The front three we have work an absolute treat and all compliment each other well.

Aye after boxing day, when we were half way through the season and at our lowest point in our history, playing horrible football, without a win in 9 games and only 1 win since September, I predicted we would win 9 of the next 12 games, and keep 8 clean sheets in 9 games, and be within touching distance of the top 2.

To suggest fans were within thier rights to be angered at where the club was at on boxing day is ludicrous.

I think the poor January transfer window might come back to bite us on the arse
Even after boxing day we were never going to get relegated. Nobody said fans weren't going to be angry but to say we would be relegated is pathetic. We had a good January window

Even after boxing day we were never going to get relegated. Nobody said fans weren't going to be angry but to say we would be relegated is pathetic. We had a good January window

We were 16th. With no win in 9 games and barely having a shot on target. It was more likely, at that point, going by form and performances that we would finish closer to the relegation zone that a promotion place.

In no way was the window successful. We improved one single position, CB.

We were 16th. With no win in 9 games and barely having a shot on target. It was more likely, at that point, going by form and performances that we would finish closer to the relegation zone that a promotion place.

We got rid of McNulty and mcgeady.

Nowt to be embarrassed about, it was nigh on everyone wanted him gone. He’s turned it around and it’s bloody great.

another three months please and we get out of this league, hopefully forever
This league is awful but if we get promoted we need lot’s of quality investment in the squad noting the last years promotion group is struggling. I would take 18th in the Championship next year hoping we can start building a Championship promotion....

There are a few on here who have suddenly gone quiet, remember not that long ago 1 poster saying we will get relegated this season, and many people saying our recruitment was awful!
I was against his appointment but prepared to give him a chance. After the Burton game I wanted him gone.
I'd say he deserves full credit, not only for turning things around but for being stubborn enough to brave it out. Weaker men would have folded

We improved the squad in most positions improving strength and depth, like I said we were never going to get relegated and even in the bad run we're well clear of bottom 3

Fact is that the squad is the best in the league and has been for two seasons. Ross never utilised anywhere near its potential and its only now that we are seeing that. Parkinson’s gone very basic and said if we don’t concede then the best attackers in the league will find a way to score goals. It’ll work in this league, but he’ll need a new plan if we go up.
Wouldn't count Wyke as one of the best attackers in the league like.

You're saying you'd be happy with Baldwin and Flanagan at the back then?
well flanagn is doing well know..
and h didnt have to play baldwin..he had ozurk..whom he likes as he signed him..
Thats exactly what the post says..... clearly you can read really well.

The problem wasn’t the personnel, they are all capable league one CBs. The difference is in the organisation and the way they are setup. That doesn’t mean to say I prefer any CBs over others. And for the record, Flanagan is our best defender

They are definitely amongst the best. As were Gooch, McGeady and Maja last season. My point was that if you can keep it tight at the back (which Ross failed to do) then the better attackers will score goals. Don’t need to put on an attacking masterclass as Parkinson’s back to basics tactics are proving

No idea what game you watch. The CB is playing the LB/RB role of just hanging back and offering the out ball and recycling. Think you’re overstating Willis’ importance immeasurably here. This is just how an orthodox 3 at the back works. If you want to see overloads go and check Contes Chelsea or Sheff Utd. You’ll see a massive difference if you checked heat maps for their CBs and ours

I still think he’s not the right man going forward. Look, this division is bloody awful and we should be able to win it without a manager tbh. We have players way beyond some other teams and I said it all last season if we can just keep it tight at the back and concede minimal goals the other teams will find a way to contrive to concede goals, as well as our superior attackers like Gooch and Maguire pulling some goals out of the bag. It isn’t any form of tactical genius going on here, it’s basic stuff for a simple league. Just think about some of the stupid goals we’ve scored so far, we’ve had keepers literally throw the ball in their own goal from corners, we’ve had defenders pass the ball to McGeady on the edge of the box, stupid penalties won in silly positions. Just don’t concede because we invariably with score goals. Parkinson has seen this very simple trend that Ross hasn’t and I’ll give him credit for that, and his defensive coaching must be top notch.

If you want a debate about next season if/when we go up we can have that, don’t really want to hijack the thread, but I don’t think the same simplistic tactical approach (and I mean that in a good way!) will work when we aren’t the best squad in the league anymore. Do I think Parky has something in there to evolve? No, probably not.
you make a lot of excellent poin ts here..
on whether parky could do the club a division higher? well its an open question, and of course a pertinent one..i think with the influx of fireign managers..the championship has become a bit more tactically aware in recent seasons than it was when the likes of wrnock and bruce easily and repeatedly won promotion from it.

Last edited:
well flanagn is doing well know..
and h didnt have to play baldwin..he had ozurk..whom he likes as he signed him..

you make a lot of excellent poin ts here..
on whether parky could do the club a division higher? well its an open question, and of course a pertinent one..i think with the influx of fireign managers..the championship has become a bit more tactically aware in recent seasons than it was when the likes of wrnock and bruce easily and repeatedly won promotion from it.

Yes agree. I did say Baldwin and Flanagan ( 2 skinny centre halfs posted 18 months ago).

To be fair we were awful and looked to be going backwards for first couple of months under parkinson and most new signings looked average at best

In those first couple of months did you think parkinson was the right appointment?

I think some people showed an enormous lack of patience. He wasn’t my choice I must agree, but yes I could see progress. It was a massive call to offload the two highest profile players in Grigg and McGeady after failing to get a team and style out of his squad. Then they clearly were not fit enough to play the way he wanted.He had the courage to go 3 at the back despite an out cry given Ross’s failure with the system.
I thought he knew what he was doing and he would get it right. But I never imagined we would be so difficult to score against, that’s an incredible change

Back