Parkinson interview post Bristol rovers at home

Fact is that the squad is the best in the league and has been for two seasons. Ross never utilised anywhere near its potential and its only now that we are seeing that. Parkinson’s gone very basic and said if we don’t concede then the best attackers in the league will find a way to score goals. It’ll work in this league, but he’ll need a new plan if we go up.

Ross's main problem was having 2 skinny centre halfs.

Definitely very basic having your centre halves overload down the wings like.

Except we don’t really do that at all. We get them into a customary fullback overlap. Hardly visionary football.
Ross's main problem was having 2 skinny centre halfs.

Main problem was having no organisation to the defence and defensive midfield. Power and Dobson have one job, to not concede goals, and to pass the ball to better players. The three CBs have limited responsibility apart from defending and keeping a shape. This allows the more attacking players like Maguire and Gooch to play football and create, which they will do as both are better than league one level

Last edited:
Except we don’t really do that at all. We get them into a customary fullback overlap. Hardly visionary football.

Main problem was having no organisation to the defence and defensive midfield. Power and Dobson have one job, to not concede goals, and to pass the ball to better players. The three CBs have limited responsibility apart from defending and keeping a shape. This allows the more attacking players like Maguire and Gooch to play football and create, which they will do as both are better than league one level

You're saying you'd be happy with Baldwin and Flanagan at the back then?

Fact is that the squad is the best in the league and has been for two seasons. Ross never utilised anywhere near its potential and its only now that we are seeing that. Parkinson’s gone very basic and said if we don’t concede then the best attackers in the league will find a way to score goals. It’ll work in this league, but he’ll need a new plan if we go up.
Who are our best attackers in the league?

Gooch and Maguire?

Last season we probably had the best ... maja and mcgeady.

Ironically a team can play better without the better players.

To be fair we were awful and looked to be going backwards for first couple of months under parkinson and most new signings looked average at best

In those first couple of months did you think parkinson was the right appointment?

Have to admit I was one of the 'Careful what you wish for' brigade when a good majority of folks were calling for Ross to be sacked. I said we'd get someone worse - and for those first 6-8 weeks I thought I was correct.

Credit where it's due though he's doing a cracking job at present. Hopefully we can keep the run going and one of the teams above us slips up...

The Coventry game is a strange one. A draw will be a good result for them if the table still stays poised like it is. I hope we are positive on the attack and try to win it though.

A customary full back overlap is 2 players, we have the winger the full back and a centre half, 3 players.

And saying the centre backs have no job but defending and keeping shape is hilarious. Willis has been one of our most important attackers recently With some great wing play between our wide players

You were one who wanted Parky out before a ball was kicked iirc and were quite voiceferous about it.And of course your views about Ross were plain to see

Whats your take now? Now Im not saying he's a worldbeater

How can you say the CBs have limited responsibility while listing defending, keeping a shape and becoming overlapping full backs? I disagree as well, usually Willis is out there with O'Nien and Maguire. I'm not saying Parky is a visionary but you have to give him credit for utilising almost everyone bar the central defender and midfield 2 as attacking contributors.
It suits us as the attacking intent from our 2 central midfielders is minimal. Therefore it’s a well thought out plan for them to carry on down the line creating space as power and Dobson can sit in. Good management to develop that tactic with our bunch. Willis is the best fullback at the club!!

Totally agree, you have to mark everyone when we're attacking at the minute. Hume constantly finds himself in space in the box at the far post when we have the ball on the right wing, usually Willis who has it!

Last edited:
Like most others I didn't have confidence P would turn it around but I argued strongly against sacking him at Christmas as there wasn't time for another appointment to find his feet and hit promotion form. It will be interesting to see if we stick with him if we do go up. Realistically he will be given a stab at the Championship should this happen. We may have enough to survive with a few additions but what would fans be satisfied with first season up?

Every word that he speaks is 100% sense. If we had started the season with him we'd be crusing by now IMO, our shaky start under him was surely him picking up the pieces of the fallout from the previous (and inadequate) management regime

At this level there's surely not many better operators than this chap, he has a plan that he sticks to, he seemingly takes no shit from trouble causing players and the squad fitness has improved no end

Across the board we are a better outfit on the pitch than we ever have been in this league even if we are aren't as high in the league compared this point last season; he's the biz, is PP,

There's more chance of us going up under him than there ever was under Ross

Last edited:
You're saying you'd be happy with Baldwin and Flanagan at the back then?

Thats exactly what the post says..... clearly you can read really well.

The problem wasn’t the personnel, they are all capable league one CBs. The difference is in the organisation and the way they are setup. That doesn’t mean to say I prefer any CBs over others. And for the record, Flanagan is our best defender

Gooch and Maguire?

They are definitely amongst the best. As were Gooch, McGeady and Maja last season. My point was that if you can keep it tight at the back (which Ross failed to do) then the better attackers will score goals. Don’t need to put on an attacking masterclass as Parkinson’s back to basics tactics are proving
A customary full back overlap is 2 players, we have the winger the full back and a centre half, 3 players.

And saying the centre backs have no job but defending and keeping shape is hilarious. Willis has been one of our most important attackers recently With some great wing play between our wide players

No idea what game you watch. The CB is playing the LB/RB role of just hanging back and offering the out ball and recycling. Think you’re overstating Willis’ importance immeasurably here. This is just how an orthodox 3 at the back works. If you want to see overloads go and check Contes Chelsea or Sheff Utd. You’ll see a massive difference if you checked heat maps for their CBs and ours
You were one who wanted Parky out before a ball was kicked iirc and were quite voiceferous about it.And of course your views about Ross were plain to see

Whats your take now? Now Im not saying he's a worldbeater

I still think he’s not the right man going forward. Look, this division is bloody awful and we should be able to win it without a manager tbh. We have players way beyond some other teams and I said it all last season if we can just keep it tight at the back and concede minimal goals the other teams will find a way to contrive to concede goals, as well as our superior attackers like Gooch and Maguire pulling some goals out of the bag. It isn’t any form of tactical genius going on here, it’s basic stuff for a simple league. Just think about some of the stupid goals we’ve scored so far, we’ve had keepers literally throw the ball in their own goal from corners, we’ve had defenders pass the ball to McGeady on the edge of the box, stupid penalties won in silly positions. Just don’t concede because we invariably with score goals. Parkinson has seen this very simple trend that Ross hasn’t and I’ll give him credit for that, and his defensive coaching must be top notch.

If you want a debate about next season if/when we go up we can have that, don’t really want to hijack the thread, but I don’t think the same simplistic tactical approach (and I mean that in a good way!) will work when we aren’t the best squad in the league anymore. Do I think Parky has something in there to evolve? No, probably not.

Last edited:
Parkinson deserves all the credit in the world at the moment how he’s turned this team around I will never know brilliant to see the south stand chant he’s name today the manager the players the fans all on the same page now if someone said that would be the case on Boxing Day I would never have believed them

I wanted him gone after the Bolton game based on how shocking we had been and couldn't see him turning it round.

How he has shaped the side, built confidence and and gained the performances and results since then has been fantastic.

Huge amount of credit has to go to him and it was great he acknowledged the crowd with a wave yesterday... let's keep the momentum going with everyone pulling is the same upwards direction.

To be fair we were awful and looked to be going backwards for first couple of months under parkinson and most new signings looked average at best

In those first couple of months did you think parkinson was the right appointment?
Do you honestly think that you can make an accurate assessment of someone after two months. BSA was the same.

Gooch and Maguire?

i think team spirit can go a long way. as well as looking as though they're enjoying it there seems to be a sense of togetherness and a battling spirit. a settled side is a bonus, they'll get used to playing week in week out knowing where each one will/should be.

Do you honestly think that you can make an accurate assessment of someone after two months. BSA was the same.

We were going backwards at an alarming rate, all im saying is it isnt a surprising the fans reacted like they did. Especially since people said ‘give them time’ over and over for managers like moyes, grayson, coleman and ross who were all not up to it

Also you couldnt even see what parkinson was building towards in those first few months
No I thought PP was the wrong appt, but admitted my mistake a while ago. But I also said the squad is 1 of the best in this league when others were slating me saying the squad was shit and the recruitment had been terrible. There were also sonee saying we were going to get relegated which was never going to happen

We were never going down, some supporters always go over the top but its the same the other way. We will of had supporters who thought everything would end up rosey under ross when it was clearly not going to be the case as he relied on individual players far too much

Last edited:

Back