Park Lane Sunderland area

Predictably the proposal is being slaughtered on social media.

And so it should be. The blueprint thing to do for student houses is to charge solely for the bedrooms and make everything shared toilet, bath, shower, living room, kitchen, location means rent will absolutely extortionate and noise pollution will be insane. Nobody benefits from this except from the landlord.

And so it should be. The blueprint thing to do for student houses is to charge solely for the bedrooms and make everything shared toilet, bath, shower, living room, kitchen, location means rent will absolutely extortionate and noise pollution will be insane. Nobody benefits from this except from the landlord.

Students with disposable income right in the city centre, won't that bring loads more money in?

Assuming the landlord is always going to benefit with a proposal for change, i don't see the downside in the buildings getting a makeover as they're an eyesore as they are; it'll benefit everyones perception of the city they live in if the buildings are upgraded - appreciate they could be made retail or student digs but they have to be a viable business. Apartments seem sensible to me albeit I wouldn't want to live there.

Students with disposable income right in the city centre, won't that bring loads more money in?

You think students are rich like? Fuck me I wish I was rich like a student is in your eyes.

Average rent for a student is about 550 not including council tax, student loan is £9250 paid in installments at the start of every major holiday and then they pay 9% of it back in interest.

I'm no Rachel Riley but the maths aren't adding up.

You think students are rich like? Fuck me I wish I was rich like a student is in your eyes.

Average rent for a student is about 550 not including council tax, student loan is £9250 paid in installments at the start of every major holiday and then they pay 9% of it back in interest.

Trust me students like to go out and spend money

Sunderland has (had) the smallest footprint of residents in the UK for a city. There is a huge drive to bring people closer to the city centre to live. This is part of it.

Students get city centre living, businesses get more footfall, busier centre means more opportunity for new investors & businesses to come in.

Better than have them living in flats in ashbrook not coming into the centre in leisure time.

Noise pollution?! 🤣

Students don't pay council tax

Noise pollution?! 🤣

Yeah it's a thing called busses, it's a big vehicle with 4 wheels and the accommodation is parked right off the bus station. I know you don't see many of them with GNE being on strike but trust me they make alot of noise when they drive past you.

Students don't pay council tax

They do if 1 of the tenants if a professional hence why you get the students only ad or if 1 of the students gets a part time job. Haway man ffs.

Yeah it's a thing called busses, it's a big vehicle with 4 wheels and the accommodation is parked right off the bus station. I know you don't see many of them with GNE being on strike but trust me they make alot of noise when they drive past you.

They do if 1 of the tenants if a professional hence why you get the students only ad or if 1 of the students gets a part time job. Haway man ffs.
So a student with a loan and a job couldn't afford it?

Sunderland has (had) the smallest footprint of residents in the UK for a city. There is a huge drive to bring people closer to the city centre to live. This is part of it.

Students get city centre living, businesses get more footfall, busier centre means more opportunity for new investors & businesses to come in.

Better than have them living in flats in ashbrook not coming into the centre in leisure time.

Exactly we need more people living in the city centre hence the housing part of the Riverside initiative.

1,000 new homes to buy and rent in four riverside neighbourhoods,doubling the population of the city centre from 2,500 to 5,000​

Last edited:

Oh I thought you meant the students causing it!

https://www.sunderlandecho.com › news › politics › council › new-apartments-plan-for-building...

New apartments plan for building in Sunderland city centre​

New plans to transform part of a Sunderland city centre building into apartments have been submitted to council development chiefs. Sunderland City Council’s planning department has received an ...
Getting more people living in the city centre is key to regeneration. Don’t know this area particularly well (I know every rat run on the north side for obvious reasons) but good to see.

Back