Parachute Payments

A silly question but with them being spread over 3 years, do clubs still get them if they go back up at first attempt like Burnley for example?

Does it really create a gap though?

There's been plenty of teams in the last decade to have been relegated from The Premier League and have since languished in both the Championship and League One for a period of time. These include:
Sheffield United
Boro
West Brom
Sunderland
Norwich
Watford
Swansea
Hull
Stoke
Huddersfield
QPR
Cardiff
Reading
Wigan

14 teams that I can think of. If a 'gap' was real, then you'd find most of the teams above fighting for promotion from the Championship - which you don't.

I'm aware some may be wrong, but I'm also aware there's probably more teams that I've missed. Fulham and Villa had a long period in the Championship but are now in The Premier League, for example.

Last edited:
Thought this was supposed to be getting sorted?

Think I heard the other day that the PL have offered to double the money they give to the EFL but it's still well short of what the EFL wanted.

Find the "unfair competition" argument a big hypocritical because there's never been fair competition in the EFL.
Forest Green Rovers will never been able to pay out massive wages, so have virtually no chance of ever reaching the Championship, never mind the PL.
How come in league 1, Sheff Wed and Ipswich have much bigger player budgets than anyone else, so they have an unfair advantage over the other teams.
What are the EFL going to do about their own clubs?

The EFL introduced FFP, which (in general) has worked really well, these days very few clubs ever go into admin
Any clubs that try to cheat (by overspending) are generally punished with points deductions, but those clubs are still kept alive, so FFP generally works.
Quite bizarrely, the clubs that are caught cheating the system, use the excuse, the rewards are so high in the PL and the fact the PL relegated teams are able to keep most of their PL players, means it's more difficult to compete, so we feel we need to cheat in order to compete.

Now think about why the PL owners decided to vote in "parachute payments"?
It was to make the league a better spectacle, in every other country in the top leagues, there's a massive difference in standard between top and bottom.
So the PL have decided they'll encourage promoted teams to spend and dish out big contracts because if they are relegated, they can still afford most of them.
This has helped make the PL the most watches league in world football, every single team, even those near the bottom are decent, every match is tough.

None of the relegated clubs are getting into financial troubles and risk going bust because FFP is in place and they will face points deducts before it becomes more serious.

It reminds me of fans of Darlington and Hartlepool complaining to the league that they don't stand a chance of ever competing,
so neighbours Newcastle, Sunderland and Boro should be forced to hand over 5 million each season to support the smaller clubs in that area.
Sounds like madness but you can just imagine the media saying Darlington and Hartlepool need to survive and be able to buy better players, so the bigger clubs must now pay a support subsidy over to the them, how would Sunderland fans feel about that?

Does it really create a gap though?

There's been plenty of teams in the last decade to have been relegated from The Premier League and have since languished in both the Championship and League One for a period of time. These include:
Sheffield United
Boro
West Brom
Sunderland
Norwich
Watford
Swansea
Hull
Stoke
Huddersfield
QPR
Cardiff
Reading
Wigan

14 teams that I can think of. If a 'gap' was real, then you'd find most of the teams above fighting for promotion from the Championship - which you don't.

I'm aware some may be wrong, but I'm also aware there's probably more teams that I've missed. Fulham and Villa had a long period in the Championship but are now in The Premier League, for example.
I think this season 5 clubs in the Championship have received parachute payments, Burnley, West Brom, Sheff Utd with Norwich and Watford receiving 2 lots!

The Championship should be reduced in number and properly funded as part of the premier league.
Maybe the top EFl league could be nationwide and the rest of the pyramid in regions.

Last edited:

Back