Pakistan 🇵🇰 v England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 1st test Rawalpindi

Sun sets in Multan 13 minutes later than in Rawalpindi so it will likely still be touch and go if we make it to 5pm in the second test. Karachi we get the sun for an extra 40 minutes so should be good there.

Begs the question, why is a 9.30am start not possible in places like Rawalpindi? Paying customers aren’t losing out if play is finishing at the same time anyway

Hard to say how they shape up in 3 days time, if they lose the toss and bowl will be a tough ask.

Think the feeling is that Woody will be ready, which may mean Robinson or Anderson will be rested to keep either fresh. Overton is waiting in the wings too and I reckon they’ll want to get him involved.

I said earlier that I reckon it’ll be a much easier task to get ‘up for’ this one mentally for England given we’re coming off the back of a thrilling win. Pakistan are dealing with bigger seam bowling concerns than we are too, it will be a very important toss again I think.

Sun sets in Multan 13 minutes later than in Rawalpindi so it will likely still be touch and go if we make it to 5pm in the second test. Karachi we get the sun for an extra 40 minutes so should be good there.

Begs the question, why is a 9.30am start not possible in places like Rawalpindi? Paying customers aren’t losing out if play is finishing at the same time anyway

honestly cricket gets on my tits with stuff like this... seems every year there's a discussion about bad light that could eaisily be sorted with a change of start time

I don’t even know if we should be calling it “bad light” when it’s in places where the sun just happens to set at those times :lol;
It's even more frustrating when there simply isn't enough time allowed for 90 overs to be bowled in the day. In theory it should be possible in a 7 hour window (allowing for lunch and tea breaks), so simply work backwards from sunset and start 7 hours earlier.

It's stupid how entrenched cricket authorities are with start times.

It's even more frustrating when there simply isn't enough time allowed for 90 overs to be bowled in the day. In theory it should be possible in a 7 hour window (allowing for lunch and tea breaks), so simply work backwards from sunset and start 7 hours earlier.

It's stupid how entrenched cricket authorities are with start times.
I think in most situations like this the problem with earlier starts is mist or dew, there basically isn't a long enough window in the day to get a full day in. Which obviously begs the question of why do we play there at this time of year, why have 40 mins for lunch etc

cricket twitter is great today. England naturally buzzing. Pakistan response overwhelmingly positive save for a few blaming Babar. Yet it’s the Indians who seem to be most rattled by a game a they weren’t involved in :lol:

Having had time to digest, rewatch footage etc I'm concluding that is 100% definitely one of THE greatest test match victories.
I don’t even know if we should be calling it “bad light” when it’s in places where the sun just happens to set at those times :lol;

I get your point, but we should, as its all about visibility. If we played a test match in Iceland, at a time where the place hardly gets any sunlight....

Last edited:
cricket twitter is great today. England naturally buzzing. Pakistan response overwhelmingly positive save for a few blaming Babar. Yet it’s the Indians who seem to be most rattled by a game a they weren’t involved in :lol:

some aussies kicking off too

its poor like as they are missing the point like, just cant give any praise

aussies couldnt even take 10 wickts on this pitch lst year it didnt get to the 4th innings
Having had time to digest, rewatch footage etc I'm concluding that is 100% definitely one of THE greatest test match victories.

I get your point, but we should, as its all about visibility. If we played a test match in Iceland, at a time where the place hardly gets any sunlight....

I've watchd highlights about 15 times, the emotions on the last wickt are so good

I dont think they can due to the mist in the morning I dont think its like as they 'stuck in their ways', I think the view is it would be unworkable and maybe give one side too much advantage

I might be alone here but I love these quirks in Pakistan, its why its so hard to win there especially at this time of year, flat pitches, short days and bad light so you have to bowl spin at the end

its totally and utterly unique

some unreal pictures like, nothing like it, cricket fans will love those photos of men round the back in fading light, there is nothing like it in sport.

Last edited:
honestly cricket gets on my tits with stuff like this... seems every year there's a discussion about bad light that could eaisily be sorted with a change of start time
Its archaic at times mate..... I was reading up on some of those "timeless" tests the other day after chatting on here about it, there was one where a days play was washed out, yet they still had a "rest day" the day after
I like the history of cricket etc, but there are things they could change for the better

That’s crazy. Wonder if there was any issues in determining the exact impact point (a bit like the stokes LBW appeal at headingly where Hawkeye seemed to miss the slight first contact)
Always annoys me that they try and claim he would have been out if the Aussies had a review, when the hawkeye itself was wrong and even Stokes was shocked given it didnt turn and hawkeye had it spinning from hitting his backpad after it had hit his 1st pad
If they pull this off, had to be one of the best declarations in this history of test cricket
5 minutes later and it would have been a draw :eek:

Last edited:
Always annoys me that they try and claim he would have been out if the Aussies had a review, when the hawkeye itself was wrong and even Stokes was shocked given it didnt turn and hawkeye had it spinning from hitting his backpad after it had hit his 1st pad

5 minutes later and it would have been a draw :eek:

they literally cant start this test any earlier mind, apparently its the fog and pollution combined make early starts impossible

I think in most situations like this the problem with earlier starts is mist or dew, there basically isn't a long enough window in the day to get a full day in. Which obviously begs the question of why do we play there at this time of year, why have 40 mins for lunch etc
Interesting, I didn't realise that was the case. I guess it's just one of those quirks. Makes the victory even more impressive given we barely had more than 4 days play in total.

Be interesting to see what they do with the line up second test. Foakes comes back in do they risk Woody. Anderson and Robinson where immense but huge ask to play back to back games especially if pitch is as flat.

Think Pakistan might ask for a bit of turning surface but as a rule their test pitches spin nowhere near as much as say India or Sri Lanka.

They do use them did in the first test but the red ball does not show us as well the white used in one dayers so when natural light fades they come off.

Now the umpires take a reading and once light gets to that marker they take the players off.

Would not be as big an issue but over rates are so poor lucky to get 13 an hour never mind the stated 15. Fines mean nothing about the only way it might be enforced would be a runs per over penalty for ever over short.

I made that post at the time. Because of the slowness of the pitch the keeper and slips were quite close meaning that when the ball was bowled, Jimmy was the furthest player away from the batsman. Mental.

Just watched the Sky review show, it's an insane game of cricket. England scored 921 runs in 136 overs, that's pretty much 3 very good ODi knocks in test conditions.

Back