Owning a Greyhound

Status
Not open for further replies.
So you took it flapping?

Aye. Pissed in everywhere.

NGRC awful, we never entertained that rubbish, though the last dog we had (above) would have pissed anything up here at Sunderland/Newcastle.

Flapping tracks all the way for us. Used to race at Sunderland before it all changed, same with Brough Park and Pelaw Grange.

Good memories, many arguments, many times pissing the handicappers and bookies off.

Last edited:

Aye. Pissed in everywhere.

NGRC awful, we never entertained that rubbish, though the last dog we had (above) would have pissed anything up here at Sunderland/Newcastle.

Flapping tracks all the way for us. Used to race at Sunderland before it all changed, same with Brough Park and Pelaw Grange.
You will know all my family if you were flapping. All of us used to take dogs on all the time for people and now we have our own not me like.
Brothers and cousins have loads.
Brother only has ngrc.

There’s some shite flapping now like.
At least all the shite runs together at ngrc.

Remember when youngies had Sunderland? It’s was a joke.

You'll know my Dad. Mainly raced at Easington and Wheatley Hill. Have raced at Stanley, Boro and Hartlepool before they went. Some good tracks back in the day but it's about knackered now. Wheatley Hill just out the front where I live, is only on, once a fortnight. Back in the day it was 2-3 times a week.

You will know all my family if you were flapping. All of us used to take dogs on all the time for people and now we have our own not me like.
Brothers and cousins have loads.
Brother only has ngrc.

There’s some shite flapping now like.
At least all the shite runs together at ngrc.

Remember when youngies had Sunderland? It’s was a joke.

:lol: Oh aye. My first introduction to greyhound racing was there, helping out a bookie who was short-handed.

It wasn't too bad at first, a few competitive betting heats, but eventually got to the stage where it was a novelty to get more than one trier in a race. Easington and Stanley went that way pretty quickly too.

Best flapping experiences were the big open events. Joe McKenna got some great dogs to compete at Pelaw. Bolton and Ayr had some awesome events which attracted NGRC classic winners.

You'll know my Dad. Mainly raced at Easington and Wheatley Hill. Have raced at Stanley, Boro and Hartlepool before they went. Some good tracks back in the day but it's about knackered now. Wheatley Hill just out the front where I live, is only on, once a fortnight. Back in the day it was 2-3 times a week.
I loved Wheatley hill. Mind Stanley was a bad track for injuries. Bends were tight. My family are the foots from Marley Potts. Dags and hasses are run of the mill.

:lol: Oh aye. My first introduction to greyhound racing was there, helping out a bookie who was short-handed.

It wasn't too bad at first, a few competitive betting heats, but eventually got to the stage where it was a novelty to get more than one trier in a race. Easington and Stanley went that way pretty quickly too.

Best flapping experiences were the big open events. Joe McKenna got some great dogs to compete at Pelaw. Bolton and Ayr had some awesome events which attracted NGRC classic winners.
I remember jimmy young having five dogs in a race and backed the wrong one. All you ever heard was its trying its trying.
Ended up with only two bookies there getting 5/4 if you had any chance of winning.

My Dad had a good few falling outs with the McKenna's at Pelaw Grange ha. He always used to quiz me when I was taking in dogs, he never got anything out of me ha
It was like the secret service. Can you remember Alan macmanus.

I remember jimmy young having five dogs in a race and backed the wrong one. All you ever heard was its trying its trying.
Ended up with only two bookies there getting 5/4 if you had any chance of winning.

It was like the secret service. Can you remember Alan macmanus.

The name doesn't ring a bell.

That's typical of Jimmy like. Once track owners (and trainers in the example of NGRC tracks) have to buy dogs to fill races, you know the game is up.

The name doesn't ring a bell.

That's typical of Jimmy like. Once track owners (and trainers in the example of NGRC tracks) have to buy dogs to fill races, you know the game is up.
I true. Got sick of five dog races flapping like.

There's a lad posts on here who is very much against the whole industry because of its cruel nature.

Can't remember his name but I'm sure he will pop up on the thread eventually.

Opened my eyes to a few things that I was completely ignorant to.

It's not me - but I'm very against some of the practices that go on in the industry and the way a lot of the dogs are treated and disposed of if they don't make the grade. They're such wonderful dogs - not right in the head mind you - they don't deserve the treatment that comes their way. Last couple of pets we've had are ex-races - the first one was treated particularly appallingly and arrived with us in a right bloody state. Current one's just a fecking idiot.

Reactions: mux
It's not me - but I'm very against some of the practices that go on in the industry and the way a lot of the dogs are treated and disposed of if they don't make the grade. They're such wonderful dogs - not right in the head mind you - they don't deserve the treatment that comes their way. Last couple of pets we've had are ex-races - the first one was treated particularly appallingly and arrived with us in a right bloody state. Current one's just a fecking idiot.
The same can be said for any breed.

Only come in one colour

grey ?

If you want passing on to a decent trainer let me know

thanks will do

Owned family owns loads around the country.
Pros, good neet out watching them especially if they win
Free entry to tracks
Owners parties are class.

No cons really.
If your dog runs 1 a week this normally covers kennel/training fee.

Stick with ngrc, they more regulated than a flapping track.

Don’t expect a champion and have a flutter. Don’t get drawn into big betting, just enjoy the dog.

cheers we are thinking a syndicate so this is good advice

My dad has done it, its class when you see a dog you own or partly own on the tv, won a couple of times too but nothing to retire on.

Thinking just for fun but retirement money would be good :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back