Overhead cabin bag issue

I haven't paid a charge yet with a cabin bag that is over the limit.
The people they tend to stop are people with more that one bag or people wheeling their luggage.

They gate staff normally look down the line for likely suspects and people with modest carry on stuff are OK.

My ruck sack is a few centimetres over in every direction, but it's never packed so could squeeze into the measurer if needed.

Saying that, rules are rules and if you get caught, just pay the 50 euros and divide it up against all the flights when you haven't been charged.
This has been my experience. No measurement of shoulder bags slightly over size, but you'll get hooked for a wheelie case. Airline dependent too - Ryanair are much sharper at extracting every penny than the other low cost carriers, and no national airline I've flown on seems to care at all.

This has been my experience. No measurement of shoulder bags slightly over size, but you'll get hooked for a wheelie case. Airline dependent too - Ryanair are much sharper at extracting every penny than the other low cost carriers, and no national airline I've flown on seems to care at all.

BA will get people to put larger bags in the hold if the flight is very busy but I haven't seen them charge for it and only if in Economy. Never seen anyone in Business stopped.

Ryan air tried to charge me for a cabin bag that was an acceptable size on an outward flight but too big for the measuring thing on the return flight. Maybe it grew, but I think it was just a schnidey way to extract more money. They wanted £50 to check it in at the gate, but the person behind had VIP boarding and offered to take it on for me. Result. I was just gonna take all the clothes out, put them on and leave the shitty case.

Ryan air tried to charge me for a cabin bag that was an acceptable size on an outward flight but too big for the measuring thing on the return flight. Maybe it grew, but I think it was just a schnidey way to extract more money. They wanted £50 to check it in at the gate, but the person behind had VIP boarding and offered to take it on for me. Result. I was just gonna take all the clothes out, put them on and leave the shitty case.
isn't there some kind of law against carrying other peoples luggage on to an aircraft?

Flight bookings or general enquiries​

Opening hours (all days - service in English)​

Mon-Fri from 08:00 to 20:00 CET​

Sat-Sun from 09:00 to 18:00 CET​

+44 (0)330 828 0854

(I know, the telephone. How 1980's)

I break this oversized rule freqeuntly, and thus far have always gotten away with it. In my experience, if it is a backpack and you have it on your back they leave you alone. If it is a wheeled bag they will likely check.

Sometime I'll get caught out, but at that point I'll just grit it out and pay up

Back