Overhead cabin bag issue

adivvunknaa

Central Defender
Going on a flight soon to Europe, and made a boob. Got one cabin bag (too big for under seat) which I've booked on way out, but forgot it was a different airline on the way back and their booking system won't let me add the bag. They say 'go to the agent you booked with' which is MyTrip online. The only option there is a very expensive option to book the bag both ways, but I've already paid for the outward flight so don't need that.

Thinking back to recent trips, we've never had our carry-on baggage looked at let alone weighed etc - is it feasible to just chance carrying on the bag on the return flight as they don't seem to do any checks at the gate?

Depends on loads of factors depending on which airline, how busy the flight is, how bothered the gate agent is that day. Worst case scenario is that they stop you and make you pay to check it in but probably worth the risk.

Flown a few times recently with carry on bags that were intended for under the seat, but due to no checks and room in the overheads I’ve just hoyed them up in the overheads. Nowts ever happened.

Could you not go to that airline's desk on the way out or when you land and explain?
Could but they charge a fortune at the airport itself apparently.

Just heard can book the bag on the return but it'll be £45 (it was ony effin £10 on the way out on the other airline :( ).

Now got to decide to risk it or pay up.

Thinking I'll use the extra bag for bulky wearable stuff like winter coats, gloves etc and then if I get stopped I'll make the family wear it all, and shove the extra in a duty free bag.

Possibly becoming worryingly tight in me old age.

Last edited:
Mind, some of the carry-on bags are ridiculous now. So big that it only takes a couple of them to fill an overhead locker. I suppose it reflects the ongoing battle between passengers and airlines who are constantly trying to wring more from their customers with baggage charges.

A friend bought a supposedly 'cabin-friendly' sized case recently which actually turned out to be too big once the handle was included.

Mind, some of the carry-on bags are ridiculous now. So big that it only takes a couple of them to fill an overhead locker. I suppose it reflects the ongoing battle between passengers and airlines who are constantly trying to wring more from their customers with baggage charges.

A friend bought a supposedly 'cabin-friendly' sized case recently which actually turned out to be too big once the handle was included.
The amount of things people carry on are ridiculous
Cabin bag
Lap top bag
Handbag
Small rucksack
Plastic with stuff in

Nowt said either

I haven't paid a charge yet with a cabin bag that is over the limit.
The people they tend to stop are people with more that one bag or people wheeling their luggage.

They gate staff normally look down the line for likely suspects and people with modest carry on stuff are OK.

My ruck sack is a few centimetres over in every direction, but it's never packed so could squeeze into the measurer if needed.

Saying that, rules are rules and if you get caught, just pay the 50 euros and divide it up against all the flights when you haven't been charged.

You'd think the airlines would make everyone check as it's easy money for them, was on a AirBaltic flight last month and people had bags that were clearly too big, plus as it was -15 in Estonia everyone had big coats that they wanted to stick in the overhead space too. Airhotesses had to move everything around and ask people to put stuff under seats just because some thought they'd not pay to check a bag in.

Back