Outgrounds 2023

Inside Forward

Midfield
I’m very keen on watching some counties play at outgrounds around the country this summer whether it’s watching the County Championship or 50 over cricket. Are there any that the good posters on the cricket forum would recommend? I’m midlands based so it’s not too much of a hassle getting to watch any county to be honest.

Two I’ve earmarked already are Cheltenham College and Sedbergh.

Sedbergh’s a pain on public transport but if you’re in the car, not so bad.

Scarborough’s meant to be decent when Yorkshire play there.

Couple of outgrounds being used by Hampshire in August, Guildford (away versus Surrey) and Isle of Wight (home versus Kent).

I've never been to either and the Solent isn't the cheapest to cross on the ferry. IoW ground is quite picturesque from what I've seen.

Blackpool CC, it's no Sedbrough School but it's nice enough. Think SouthNorth.

Only about 15-20 minutes walk from the seafront up to Stanley Park, you can nip out for a paddle.

Couple of outgrounds being used by Hampshire in August, Guildford (away versus Surrey) and Isle of Wight (home versus Kent).

I've never been to either and the Solent isn't the cheapest to cross on the ferry. IoW ground is quite picturesque from what I've seen.
Do you know if Hampshire ever use the United Services ground - in Gosport, I think?

Played there a couple of times for the works team and it was class.

Do you know if Hampshire ever use the United Services ground - in Gosport, I think?

Played there a couple of times for the works team and it was class.

US Ground is in Burnaby Road, Portsmouth. They used to have a Portsmouth cricket week in August (and games in Bournemouth.& Basingstoke during the summer) but ditched them all when they built the Rose Bowl (still a sore point in Pompey).

US Ground is in Burnaby Road, Portsmouth. They used to have a Portsmouth cricket week in August (and games in Bournemouth.& Basingstoke during the summer) but ditched them all when they built the Rose Bowl (still a sore point in Pompey).
Cheers.

I just remember it being a really nice ground and that someone mentioned that Hampshire used it from time to time.

Was a few years ago now when we played there - early '90s.

Cheers.

I just remember it being a really nice ground and that someone mentioned that Hampshire used it from time to time.

Was a few years ago now when we played there - early '90s.

Part of the RN sports complex (HMS Temeraire). All well looked after as most MoD sports facilities are. I broke a fella's leg on the footy stadium part (Victory stadium) in a really innocuous challenge in a cup final. Still feel bad about it now 25 years later even though it was purely accidental (I didn't even get a card). Match was abandoned.

Chesterfield is my favourite ground in the country. Lovely day out. Sadly with Yorkshire in Division 2, it's them that Derbyshire are playing there in June. I don't think I can watch them anywhere without feeling gutted about what has happened over the last few years so probably won't bother this year

I used to watch Yorkshire at Acklam Park in the 90s, not sure if they still play there. Scarborough was canny as well.
Durham have played the odd home 2nds game there recently. Pretty sure we had one last year. Yorks haven’t touched it for a while.

Doubt it could ever host first class again. The main spectator seating area, the terracing on the side of the main road, was sold for flats after Yorkshire stopped using it.

I’m very keen on watching some counties play at outgrounds around the country this summer whether it’s watching the County Championship or 50 over cricket. Are there any that the good posters on the cricket forum would recommend? I’m midlands based so it’s not too much of a hassle getting to watch any county to be honest.

Two I’ve earmarked already are Cheltenham College and Sedbergh.
Lancs play Hampshire at Southport, June 11-14.
Nice ground with decent access & facilities, would recommend. Wicket can be a bit of road Last year was baking hot and a total runfest /snooze fest (Keaton Jennings triple hundred) but still a good day out with several 🍻

Scarborough is fantastic.

Unfortunately our only outground these days is Guildford, which is utter wank.

I think it's rare that they play there, but Colchester is really nice.

Kent will probably have their game with us at Beckenham, which they do every year. It used to be a cracking outground, but they've done work to it and it's completely loat it's charm.

Last edited:

Back