Our spinners

Status
Not open for further replies.
The longer we cram most of our county season into fixtures played in April, May and September, meaning counties prepare green tops to suit the conditions, the longer we’ll wait to produce a top class spin bowler.

Leach is the best of the bunch for now, let’s give him a good year in the side and see how he progresses.

Been done to death I know, but absolutely no chance is Dom Bess the best spinner in the country. Nice lad yes, good attitude and a decent bat but with the ball he's poor.
Picked up a fortuitous five-fer but this is an ongoing thing with him, back to SA a year ago.
Leach isn't perfect but at least can give us a bit of control and bowled well in the second innings of the last Test

Bess on the other hand gets milked constantly, hit all over the park when he doesn't get it right, and can't land six balls within a metre of eachother.

Problem is I don't know where we go next - back to Crane? Parkinson?
I love Virdi and I think he'll take a lot of wickets for England, but he's nowhere near ready yet. Needs to work on control, and his batting and fielding are Monty-esque.

I know he's in last chance saloon, but Moeen has to play the first Test in India for me
Prefer Root bowling tbh

Swann apart, I’m struggling to think of many players over the last 30 years I’d rather have in the spin role than Leach.

Monty was very good which may get him the nod in the #2 spot but his batting and fielding were a liability.

Swann apart, I’m struggling to think of many players over the last 30 years I’d rather have in the spin role than Leach.

Monty was very good which may get him the nod in the #2 spot but his batting and fielding were a liability.

Swann was streets ahead of anyone we've had in the last 40 years. I was reading Vaughan's autobiography again last night (Great read as it was written over a decade ago before he became a bit of a marmite character), and he touches upon how Monty was so difficult to captain as he seemed to have zero cricketing brain - he needed his captain to set his field and basically hold his hand through every spell.

I thought Monty looked good in patches, but overall he was an average left-arm spinner with little variety. He probably makes the top 3 still though alongside Moeen with Giles a close 4th.

Tbf mate, Sri Lanka collapsed also :lol:

England finds ways of winning games like this.
They will get help from the pitch now, I reckon Leach will get a hat full :), think Root will have a part to play also.
Does anyone want the lottery numbers? :lol:
Swann was streets ahead of anyone we've had in the last 40 years. I was reading Vaughan's autobiography again last night (Great read as it was written over a decade ago before he became a bit of a marmite character), and he touches upon how Monty was so difficult to captain as he seemed to have zero cricketing brain - he needed his captain to set his field and basically hold his hand through every spell.

I thought Monty looked good in patches, but overall he was an average left-arm spinner with little variety. He probably makes the top 3 still though alongside Moeen with Giles a close 4th.
TMS was talking about Monty yesterday. Saying that where pitches needed a spinner to fire a ball into a pitch he bowled well, but outside of that, he struggled.

Last edited:
Fair play to Monty for that. I'm quite surprised at that but as I said his record at OT in particular was incredible.
It surprised me when I had looked at their record a while back

Mind having looked again they both average 28. Monty is 0.17 better which is nothing obviously.

Swann much better bowler of course. He was good everywhere bar Australia.

It surprised me when I had looked at their record a while back

Mind having looked again they both average 28. Monty is 0.17 better which is nothing obviously.

Swann much better bowler of course. He was good everywhere bar Australia.
Had a good tour in 10/11 and his elbow was was knackered by the next visit
Monty was brilliant if the pitch had a bit of bounce. He had phenomenal figures at OT and had a 5fer or two at Perth.
If the pitch had bounce and spin he was great, Swann was a much better bowler though

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back