oROSSo's olympic platform build

Status
Not open for further replies.

oROSSo

Striker
Staff member
Reet, I'm making an Olympic lifting platform at work. It's gonna be situated on the mezzanine floor in the stores. The mezzanine is made up of metal pillars and metal beams with MDF making the flooring, I've checked it out and it can take 489kg per sq.m. So I'm guessing it'll cope with my puny lifts.

The platform itself will be made from:

4X 4'x8' OSB boards 18mm depth
1X 4'x8' hardwood plywood board 18mm depth
2X 2'x6' horse stable mats 18mm depth

Decided not to glue the boards together and will simply screw them together so that if it ever needs to be moved it'll come apart easier. I'll be finishing it off with a few coats of polyurethane paint.

Already got the matting and getting the wood tomorrow. Probably gonna start the construction tomorrow night after work. Pics to follow.......

just been to get my wood, picked up some lengths of 2"x4" timber too to finish off round the edges with a lip.

roughly laid out, I'll be screwing it tonight.

Logon or register to see this image

Canny that like, what you doing for plates?
currently got:

2x20kg bumper
2x10kg bumper
2x20kg iron
2x10kg iron
6x5kg iron
4x2.5kg iron

got two bits of horse matting, 4'x6' so need to cut in half down the middle to make it 2'x6'. I'll be left with four 2'x6' rubber mats. Then cut 2 feet off the end of two of them to fill in the gaps. Leaving me with the whole area level and two 2'x4' mats which will be surplus.

how are you getting away with this at work?

someone will injure themselves trying when know one is looking won't they.

Tonight's work has been screwing it together, cutting the rubber to fit and giving the main platform a coat of paint.

Tomorrow I shall be applying another coat of paint and cutting the 2x4's for the surround, screwing them together and that's it done, should be ready for Saturday :)

the finished article:

Hi Ross,

Could you help me with costings of this (ideally the horse matting) and also where they were purchased from.

Could your platform be lifted and placed against a wall and then brought out when needed (obviously to save space).

Also i noticed the wood edging you've done, would this prevent you from placing a squat rack across it for the oly bar to fit?

A couple of questions there mate so any help will be appreciated.

P.S great little design, you must have got that from a book ;)

Hi Ross,

Could you help me with costings of this (ideally the horse matting) and also where they were purchased from.

Could your platform be lifted and placed against a wall and then brought out when needed (obviously to save space).

Also i noticed the wood edging you've done, would this prevent you from placing a squat rack across it for the oly bar to fit?

Save yourself the fuck on. Ross will knock you one up for £150 plus labour ;)

Hi Ross,

the timber came to about £130 IIRC, but really you don't need the edging, i just wanted to give it a finished look but it adds nothing to the platform itself. Shouldn't be a problem putting a squat rack in there, there plenty of space. I got my timber from Viking Timber in south shields and they were very helpful.

I wouldn't fancy lifting tbh, its pretty heavy. Although I haven't glued it like some designs say to do just incase it ever needs to be shifted it'll come apart easier, I also haven't even screwed he rubber, due to the weight of it and the edging i've put on it's going no where.

The horse matting is £40 (you only need one bit) but i bought two for that little extra protection as the platform is situated on a first floor mezzanine.

this link to the mats is: http://www.horsematsplus.co.uk/shop/rubber-stable-mat-easy-sweep-single/

Save yourself the fuck on. Ross will knock you one up for £150 plus labour ;)
oh, and this.

Cracking that mind. How often you planning on using it?

Cracking that mind. How often you planning on using it?
Only managed to use it once so far but it held up well. I'm not really one to stick to set routine etc I'll just use it when it fits in, probably at least twice a week though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back