Original songs better than their more famous cover versions

Status
Not open for further replies.

If that doesn't count then the Thin Lizzy version, which is better than the Metallica version

I'll give you that.
Despite Thin Lizzy not being the original version it's better than the Metallica one. Debtabale whether Metallica's version is more famous though

Story for you mate. Brian Ferry got his first break in the music scene via an old mate of mine. He rocked up to a hairdressing salon in answer to an advert for a vocalist and as he had no previous experience he didn't know many songs. After a brief discussion between him and the band members they settled on Hound Dog. My mate never tires of telling me about the WTF look on the musician's faces as he introduced them to his "unique" delivery of this classic song. :lol:

Leiber and Stoller who wrote it tell a better story tbf. they were telling Willie Mae it's a womans song about a no good husband try and sing it as a woman scorned. apparently the 20 stone razor slashed Willie Mae pinned one of them to the studio wall and said 'i'll give it a go' :lol:

Leiber and Stoller who wrote it tell a better story tbf. they were telling Willie Mae it's a womans song about a no good husband try and sing it as a woman scorned. apparently the 20 stone razor slashed Willie Mae pinned one of them to the studio wall and said 'i'll give it a go' :lol:

I'll give you that one. Knocks a laugh at a Herrington hairdressing salon into touch. :lol:

Better than slade, but I still rate the liitle Richard cover (still before slade ) as best take

A truly wonderful song when it's heard in the original

Last edited:
2 obvious ones for me.

Badfinger - Without you
Dolly Parton - I will always love you.

Two excellent, heartfelt ballads turned into over produced warbles

Pretty much any "cover" by Dusty Springfield. Mind, I like the Byrds version of this Carole King tune. Cracking album by the way, issued in 1968 and I still enjoy listening to it.

Fun song elevated to classic status by Mr. Cocker.

Prefer the Cocker version to the Beatles, cracking guitar work from Jimmy Page too, nice Hammond from Tom Eyre anarl...:cool:

Prefer this original too.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back