Original songs better than their more famous cover versions

Unrelated to an extent but:

Conversation in the office on Valentine’s Day about ‘that new Michael Buble song’. The one with the lyrics that go [lyrics are repeated]

Of course it was immediately recognisable Because it wasn’t ‘new’. It was “My Funny Valentine”. Multiple covers since it was written in 1937*. Nobody believed me that it was an old song. I couldn’t believe it. How could anyone not have heard that song?!

Anyway we Wikipedia’d it and my *guess that it was written in ‘about 1937’ was spot on.

This happens to me often. People don’t often realise when a song is old. It happens to me occasionally- but I’m old... and I have an ear for these things anyway. I thought everybody did until recently.

Plus about 99% of Michael Bubles catalogue is from the 39s and 40s anyway. How could they not know that!!??

Great. Had no idea that Rod Stewart one was a cover.

Oh. My. God!

Unrelated to an extent but:

Conversation in the office on Valentine’s Day about ‘that new Michael Buble song’. The one with the lyrics that go [lyrics are repeated]

Of course it was immediately recognisable Because it wasn’t ‘new’. It was “My Funny Valentine”. Multiple covers since it was written in 1937*. Nobody believed me that it was an old song. I couldn’t believe it. How could anyone not have heard that song?!

Anyway we Wikipedia’d it and my *guess that it was written in ‘about 1937’ was spot on.

This happens to me often. People don’t often realise when a song is old. It happens to me occasionally- but I’m old... and I have an ear for these things anyway. I thought everybody did until recently.

Plus about 99% of Michael Bubles catalogue is from the 39s and 40s anyway. How could they not know that!!??

Oh. My. God!

A song i don't like from before I was born. Not unrealistic or shocking not to know that.

I’m in love with a German film star originally by the passions about a roadie for the clash who became a bit of a film star in German b movies

Then redone by the pet shop boys

Anyway we Wikipedia’d it and my *guess that it was written in ‘about 1937’ was spot on...

Oh. My. God!
Micky Bubbles fans in thick as fuck shocker!

Janice?

A song i don't like from before I was born. Not unrealistic or shocking not to know that.

Hmmm. Surprising to me that anyone who’s interested in music or listens to the radio, watches films etc wouldn’t know about a song that appearing on over 1300 albums performed by over 600 artists and has been entered into the US Library of Congresses National Recording Registry for its "cultural, artistic and/or historical significance to American society and the nation’s audio legacy" (I wiki’d again :) )

And, as I say, it was being talked about as Michael Bubles ‘new song’ so STILL being recorded.

I’m not being critical. Just being surprised. And interested.

Micky Bubbles fans in thick as fuck shocker!

Janice?

Well I have enjoyed the odd Buble interpretation of a classic tune. Not a fan as such but I appreciate his talent. Does that make me only ‘slightly’ thick? :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmmm. Surprising to me that anyone who’s interested in music or listens to the radio, watches films etc wouldn’t know about a song that appearing on over 1300 albums performed by over 600 artists and has been entered into the US Library of Congresses National Recording Registry for its "cultural, artistic and/or historical significance to American society and the nation’s audio legacy" (I wiki’d again :) )

And, as I say, it was being talked about as Michael Bubles ‘new song’ so STILL being recorded.

I’m not being critical. Just being surprised. And interested.

Well I have enjoyed the odd Buble interpretation of a classic tune. Not a fan as such but I appreciate his talent. Does that make me only ‘slightly’ thick? :)

I'm on about the rod stewart one not Buble.

Back