Organic Weetabix (and other organic foodstuffs)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Very much this for me, local and in-season both for the flavour and the environment.

We did get local organic veg. boxes for a while, but the farmer that delivered them seemed to get bored of delivering them! The national firms doing organic deliveries charge extortionate prices.

Used to get a local organic veg box as well but gave it up when I moved house a few years back. You're right about the national firms. My former lodger used to get boxes from one of the firms and I was amazed at the cost as compared to the local ones.

Very much this for me, local and in-season both for the flavour and the environment.

We did get local organic veg. boxes for a while, but the farmer that delivered them seemed to get bored of delivering them! The national firms doing organic deliveries charge extortionate prices.

we tried the organic box for a while but novelty soon wears off

I found that you have to be prepared to make an effort to use some of the veg and we got too many of certain veg as well.

every week 6 bloody kiwi fruit about 6 spuds and a few carrots..

we did the £15 bo at the time. and then deliveries were buggered up a coupel fo times so said bollocks to it

every week 6 bloody kiwi fruit about 6 spuds and a few carrots..

we did the £15 bo at the time. and then deliveries were buggered up a coupel fo times so said bollocks to it

Ours was veg only. Five bases you got every week (potatoes, onions, mushrooms, carrots, tomatoes) and three (I think) randoms, usually one green (inclduding salad bags in summer), one other root veg and something a little odd. Portion control was always weird - you'd sometimes get 8 large onions but only 4 medium sized mushrooms.

Organic food isn't particularly healthier for the consumer and doesn't generally taste any different but it's kinder to the environment. If you're buying meat or other animal products and care about the animals' welfare then free range is obviously the way to go. Both obviously come at a price...
Always buy free range eggs. The extra few pence is worth it and I do believe they are better quality eggs too.

Maybe I'll just go for organic chicken from now on then.

We did a local one but it wasn't very good sometimes. They got the stock and made up the boxes on a Monday but didn't deliver ours until a Thursday so I found some things were past their best and I was making meals based on what needed using up urgently.

Then they went through a courgette phase and kept delivering 4-6 a week. I'm the only one who likes courgette and I got sick of having it with every evening meal.

We did a local one but it wasn't very good sometimes. They got the stock and made up the boxes on a Monday but didn't deliver ours until a Thursday so I found some things were past their best and I was making meals based on what needed using up urgently.

Then they went through a courgette phase and kept delivering 4-6 a week. I'm the only one who likes courgette and I got sick of having it with every evening meal.

The in-laws had one when I was living there for a while and it was a similar story. Wait for the box to turn up then have to plan the next few days of meals around what they had decided to give. It seemed odd to pay a lot of money for someone to decide what you are going to eat and make meal times a chore.

By the way, if you slice courgette, you can freeze it. The best way to do it is put the slices on a tray and freeze so they are not touching, then dump them in a freezer bag together. If you are cooking with them, you can get away with grabbing a handful and throwing them in frozen. I grow courgettes and if I have a good year I end up with loads. I'll bring you some now I know you are addicted to them ;)

The in-laws had one when I was living there for a while and it was a similar story. Wait for the box to turn up then have to plan the next few days of meals around what they had decided to give. It seemed odd to pay a lot of money for someone to decide what you are going to eat and make meal times a chore.

By the way, if you slice courgette, you can freeze it. The best way to do it is put the slices on a tray and freeze so they are not touching, then dump them in a freezer bag together. If you are cooking with them, you can get away with grabbing a handful and throwing them in frozen. I grow courgettes and if I have a good year I end up with loads. I'll bring you some now I know you are addicted to them ;)
I'd rather have a corvette

Always buy free range eggs. The extra few pence is worth it and I do believe they are better quality eggs too.
Taste much nicer too.
I get mine from the pub. Local farm brings them in and flogs them o the counter.

other than that we ave moved from free range to Organic for eggs. costs a bit more but not enough to break the bank..

started eating more duck eggs too
Love duck eggs me. And Goose.

Dr Banner will break you

Hi.

Countryfile at the weekend reckon that organic farming really dived after the 2008 crash.

I'd like to think I'm not stuffing my face with a shit load of pesticides and steroids but there's a pinch point in my pocket where I just shrug my shoulders and think "meh! We all have to die of something"

Organic =\= no pesticides.

Organic food isn't particularly healthier for the consumer and doesn't generally taste any different but it's kinder to the environment. If you're buying meat or other animal products and care about the animals' welfare then free range is obviously the way to go. Both obviously come at a price...

It's not automatically kinder for the environment. Whilst it's a niche product it is to an extent, as an actual solution to global food security it needs doing away with.

I very much doubt mass produced wheat is even slightly organic.

All living matter is 'organic' by the actual definition of the word. Which is another reason I hate the term 'organic food'.

If it was alive its organic, technically.

Last edited:
How pretentious! That's put me right off my quinoa and chia seeds with macadamia ricotta.

It gives me a lovely warm feeling of smugness inside when I think of the food-fashion victims dutifully shovelling these expensive temporary fad food products into their quivering virtuous maws believing they are actually doing themselves some good.

See yas, Suckers!! I'm off for some garlic and naga-infused cheapo porridge!!

Reactions: mux
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back