Organic Weetabix (and other organic foodstuffs)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mux

Striker
Currently eating a bowl of this. It tastes the same if not slightly poorer quality than normal Weetabix.

Does anyone actually buy the organic alternatives to stuff? If so why?

Also please someone educate me on why this is even a thing. I mean, surely Weetabix are organic by their very nature?!

Currently eating a bowl of this. It tastes the same if not slightly poorer quality than normal Weetabix.

Also please someone educate me on why this is even a thing. I mean, surely Weetabix are organic by their very nature?!
Dr Banner will break you

It always sounds like the living alternative of something and freaks me out a bit. :lol: Isn't it for vegans and their ilk?

How pretentious! That's put me right off my quinoa and chia seeds with macadamia ricotta.

tend not to bother too much with organic. rather buy local and in season.

Buy organic milk and eggs sometimes.

read an article a while ago and if you are going to go organic on a budget then to focus on meat like Chicken which are often pumped of drugs

Lamb while not flagged as organic is as good as if reared on the hills.

with veg its says go organic for fruit and veg that is above ground and worry less for things like spuds an root veg

Countryfile at the weekend reckon that organic farming really dived after the 2008 crash.

I'd like to think I'm not stuffing my face with a shit load of pesticides and steroids but there's a pinch point in my pocket where I just shrug my shoulders and think "meh! We all have to die of something"

Or another way to look at it is, organic farming produces lower crop yields but the human population is growing. The more organic stuff we eat, the more land we need for farming. The more land we need for farming, the more trees and hedgerows we need to cut down. As they reduce, biodiversity reduces and carbon dioxide levels go up, which warms the planet, sea levels rise and available land is reduced further.

If anything, providing it is safe for human consumption, we need to be producing as higher yield crops as we can by any method we can use. The only other two options are, hit a world wide crisis very quickly or find someway of dealing with the worldwide population increase. It is frightening to think that at the end of WW1 the global population was 2 billion. It is now 7 billion.

Organic food isn't particularly healthier for the consumer and doesn't generally taste any different but it's kinder to the environment. If you're buying meat or other animal products and care about the animals' welfare then free range is obviously the way to go. Both obviously come at a price...
Trying to catch free range carrots is a nightmare like. I stick to the battery ones.

I would like to appear intelligent and knowledgeable enough to respond to the OPs question about how wheat can possibly not be organic so I'm just going to drop the phrase 'genetically modified' into a post and see what it scares up.

Or another way to look at it is, organic farming produces lower crop yields but the human population is growing. The more organic stuff we eat, the more land we need for farming. The more land we need for farming, the more trees and hedgerows we need to cut down. As they reduce, biodiversity reduces and carbon dioxide levels go up, which warms the planet, sea levels rise and available land is reduced further.

If anything, providing it is safe for human consumption, we need to be producing as higher yield crops as we can by any method we can use. The only other two options are, hit a world wide crisis very quickly or find someway of dealing with the worldwide population increase. It is frightening to think that at the end of WW1 the global population was 2 billion. It is now 7 billion.

we eat too much. certainly with regard to meat.

far too many of us want quantity over quality

tend not to bother too much with organic. rather buy local and in season.

Very much this for me, local and in-season both for the flavour and the environment.

We did get local organic veg. boxes for a while, but the farmer that delivered them seemed to get bored of delivering them! The national firms doing organic deliveries charge extortionate prices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back