Opening the batting

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love opening. Probably my favorite place. Shame I'm not very good at it :lol:

My son opens the batting for one of the NEPL junior sides and loves it. He's gutted if they put him in last pair or in the middle. He carried his bat for the entire season last year and is currently on the books of the county.

Currently undergoing trials for one of the DSL representative sides that will play games against the Coast League etc. sometime over the summer.

The Colonel said:
My son opens the batting for one of the NEPL junior sides and loves it. He's gutted if they put him in last pair or in the middle. He carried his bat for the entire season last year and is currently on the books of the county.

Currently undergoing trials for one of the DSL representative sides that will play games against the Coast League etc. sometime over the summer.

He didn't get out all season?!

He didn't get out all season?!
That's correct. It was only junior cricket though - pairs - but not a bad effort to carry your bat through 14 innings. Considering its opening the bat as well facing the best bowlers then he has a bit of potential. He was also the leading wicket taker for the side with 19 wickets for 61 runs from 31 overs.

however he will discover girls soon and then we'll see what happens - cricket - girls - cricket - girls ;)

Did it twice at under 15 level when we were chasing scores under 50 from 20 overs. got a 5 from the first ball once, knocked it into space on the leg side, easy single + 4 overthrows :)

That's correct. It was only junior cricket though - pairs - but not a bad effort to carry your bat through 14 innings. Considering its opening the bat as well facing the best bowlers then he has a bit of potential. He was also the leading wicket taker for the side with 19 wickets for 61 runs from 31 overs.

however he will discover girls soon and then we'll see what happens - cricket - girls - cricket - girls ;)

We have a womens team at Brandon ;)

you should place your best bat in the last pair m8 at 8-a-side.

you should place your best bat in the last pair m8 at 8-a-side.
Yes quite a few teams do this.

They play 10 a side in the DSL U11 league and one of the better batsmen usually goes in the middle overs to basically whack the poorer bowlers about a bit. I guess that there are different tactics employed by different teams.

Now that there is going to be an NEPL second division I'm almost certain that they will form their own junior league next year, but whether the likes of South North, Blaydon and Tynemouth join it is a different matter. I think they are quite settled in their own junior leagues.

The good players at U11 level stand out a mile.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back