Opening the batting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yes done it but don't think it's the best feeling ever particularly when your out with the first ball of the game. That is one long day for a non-bowler

Yes done it but don't think it's the best feeling ever particularly when your out with the first ball of the game. That is one long day for a non-bowler

that is the worst feeling ever. I once left work in Sunderland at quarter to one to play down the wrong line to the first ball of the afternoon at Evenwood. three year ago was out to the first ball ofthe day at Philli.

Twice, and amazingly not a duck either time. First time the SMB played a 'competitive' game at BearPark, second in the cup semi-final the same year. 2 and then 17 (highest score!) Were my scores.

Won't ever get near the top of the order for a proper team. Thank God.

I can't stand it. For some reason I have to watch the game for a bit to get prepared. Don't know why like as apart from the ball doing a little bit more it shouldn't be much different.

I spent all my career opening the batting and I loved it. Usually played in a team of howkers so I knew I could come in and bat for as long as I liked without scoreboard pressure. As mentioned above getting out first ball of the match sometimes even before the allocated start time wasnt much fun!

I also loved to take first ball - but at 3rd team level you never know what you are going to get. The quality first team fast bowler that cant play on Saturdays or some wild erratic kid that you can get off to a flyer against.

Last edited:
I done it on a regular when playing under 15 and 18 cricket and quite a few times when playing second 11, as poster above said use to awful when battiing first and you were back in the hutch at 2.05 with only a long evening in the field to look forward to:oops:

Playing junior cricket was class, opening the batting and bowling. Never seemed to be far from the action

SAFC2403 said:
Done it a few times for 3rds. Enjoyed it usually but as said when you get out early it's crap!!

In our 3s games it doesn't matter if we're only 15 off the first 10 overs. Once their openers have been seen off there are normally plenty of runs to be had off the change bowlers.

In our 3s games it doesn't matter if we're only 15 off the first 10 overs. Once their openers have been seen off there are normally plenty of runs to be had off the change bowlers.

Probably the same for most local cricket tbh. My problem was not being around long enough to see them off!!

Yep done it since the age of 10, awesome! If I'm down the order now I don't know what I'm doing, too many scenarios and situation batting 4+, normally just a handful of scenarios of which I'm used too up top

Probably the same for most local cricket tbh. My problem was not being around long enough to see them off!!

Beat me to it!

A wanted to like, but the skipper was a helmet, glad we've sacked that knacker off.

I quite enjoy opening me. Good to get in early and get a look. Sometimes get a few looseners off the bowlers too, I think going in that early makes you value your wicket a bit more aswell. Not to mention it gives you the best possible chance of making runs!

Did it a few times at school, not done it at club level yet though. Always got out for a duck at school, but whenever I did it, we'd been fielding first, so I wasn't too fussed about putting my feet up for the rest of the game.

What I don't like is being down the order, 35 overs of waiting around, 5 overs of batting usually chasing 50 odd more runs. Much rather be at 3 or 4, get the opening bowlers out of the way and have a bit of time to try and get a few runs on the board.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back