Omniplex comfirmed as Sunderland cinema

Great news. I started taking my daughter to the cinema when she was three and we try to go at least every couple of weeks if there's something on. She's 16 now and she still doesn't find it uncool to go with dad! Can't beat the big screen.

Great news! Looking at their website they have premium screens which is certainly needed.Will be a big job as the sound systems will all need replacing.
I'm guessing it will be refurbing screen by screen to get open quickly. May do the main 2 screens before may

I'm guessing it will be refurbing screen by screen to get open quickly. May do the main 2 screens before may
I think the article said that it'll be all recliner in 18 months.
"The operator is working on plans to open this May with a refurbishment programme being carried out behind the scenes over a 12 month period until fully completed mid-2025. The new features will include fully electric recliner seats in all screens, as well as a food truck and beer and cocktail van in a festival-styled atmosphere."

Last edited:
"The operator is working on plans to open this May with a refurbishment programme being carried out behind the scenes over a 12 month period until fully completed mid-2025. The new features will include fully electric recliner seats in all screens, as well as a food truck and beer and cocktail van in a festival-styled atmosphere."
Must say I love the recliners at MetroCentre/Silver link Odeon, they're really comfortable.

Sounds ideal that.

Great news for regular cinemagoers but it ain't for me. Movies nowadays tend to suck balls and don't have the wow factor they once had (hoping the new Ghostbusters and Deadpool films buck that trend), couple that up with expensive ticket prices and extortionate food prices, just tends to put me off.

I think the whole movie industry is on its arse for one reason or another and local cinema is suffering as a result of it. I hope this new cinema has a formula that works so that it remains in the city centre where others have failed.

Last edited:
They seem to do an £11.99 monthly membership from what I can gather. Gets you one ticket to each film on show that month. Individual prices are £6.99 so if you go twice a month it's worth it.

They seem to do an £11.99 monthly membership from what I can gather. Gets you one ticket to each film on show that month. Individual prices are £6.99 so if you go twice a month it's worth it.

£7 is decent if that is for the fancy recliner seats.

The Odeon in Durham is more expensive than that from what I can remember and is always busy whenever I have been .

Back