Old School Camera - Yashica MG-1

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Lexingtongue

My grandmother was cleaning out her house and found one of these cameras which she has kindly passed on to me. As I know nowt about photography at all I thought I would pop on here and see if anyone knew anything about it.

If I was to use it can I still get film for it? Think it was bought mid-70's. Would it actually be worth using? Apparently it was a decent enough camera when it was released way back when.

Sorry if I sound like a complete idiot but as I say, I know nothing about cameras or photography. Basically, anything you could tell me about it would be appreciated.

This is what it looks like:
Logon or register to see this image

Cheers.

No it's a SHIT camera and you should give it to me immediately for disposal.

Alternatively, get yourself some Ilford XP2 or Fuji Velvia 50 and ENJOY!!

Quick question: Is the light meter working? If it is, you've got a cracking little camera.

It's got no juice at the minute AB but my grandmother claims it's in perfect working order. I'll let you know when I stick a new battery or what not in it.

Got a gigantic Cobra flash attachment as well. Do you know anything about that brand as well?

Thanks for the info mate. Will pick up some film tomorrow and let you know how it works out.

I'm rather excited to use it now. Thanks for the advice lads.

Don't expect much mind. ;)

My missus does have an eye for a photograph though, maybe I could enter one of her efforts instead? ;)

Fella at the camera shop says the battery type for the camera is discontinued and is therefore useless. :-(

ANy of you photography freaks want to buy it as an antique? ;)

Lexingtongue said:
Fella at the camera shop says the battery type for the camera is discontinued and is therefore useless. :-(

ANy of you photography freaks want to buy it as an antique? ;)

It'll probably be a mercury battery - there's bound to be a workaround. Typically, you just need to get a cheap hearing aid battery, perhaps wedging it in place with a washer or bit tin foil. Worth a Google, plenty of good info out there on forums.

It was a mercury battery. I'll have a look about for a work around; if anyone can also point me in thr ight direction I would appreciate it.

Any further help mate, links for example? I literally have no clue about this stuff. The battery looks like a chubby AA.

Excellent, Andy. A Maplins has just opened in Sunderland, I'll get myself down there tomorrow and get one of those batteries. Cheers. :)

Just had a quick look and it seems your best bet is to get 4 x 1.5v silver oxide pill batteries, stack them and tape them together. The original battery is 6v, so that's a like-for-like replacement.

You may need to wedge them in place with a bit card, but it seems straight forward enough to do,

EDIT - should have read the whole thread!

Lads, I looked at the battery Andy M recommended earlier today and although it is 6v it is tiny and would be like a sausage down an alley in the battery compartment on the camera. Would Spav's tin foil method work here for wedging it in place? If so, how safe is this? Or is it worth trying the other smaller batteries taped together method first? Thanks for the continued support lads.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back