Oil sump leaking

MunkyHeed

Striker
Hi all car fixing experts... I've been quoted over a grand to replace my oil sump as it has a slight leak... not so bad that oil is pouring out, but there is a slight puddle under the car.

Rather than replace the whole thing, what sealant could be used to repair this?

Cheers.

Have a closer look with a candle…..
Hi all car fixing experts... I've been quoted over a grand to replace my oil sump as it has a slight leak... not so bad that oil is pouring out, but there is a slight puddle under the car.

Cheers.
Main dealer?

I did a sump gasket on my Fiesta XR2 in the early 90s.

Ran over a huge crow on the way from work one morning and by the time I got home pretty much all my oil had leaked out.

Wasn't a pleasant experience fixing it. 24 machine bolts that had to be lined up perfectly. Must have taken me all weekend to put it right.

What car you driving?

£1k for a new sump is around 5x what you'd expect to pay on the average motor like. Takes nowt in labour either, an hour or so for any garage with a ramp.

What car you driving?

£1k for a new sump is around 5x what you'd expect to pay on the average motor like. Takes nowt in labour either, an hour or so for any garage with a ramp.
Let’s not be hasty. If it’s a K12 Micra for instance you need to take the gearbox out. Also, if it’s an alloy sump not as cheap as the bits of tin of old.

Kind of car OP? Also, is it the sump, must’ve hit something/over tightened a sump plug for it to be the actual sump.

I’ve tried before with things like Aliweld and silicone and it never stops the leak completely. Worth a punt though.

Cheers.
I use permatex ultra, it’s the best you can buy imho.Don’t even think of skimping on sealer, just get the best as you only want to do the job once. The sump will need removed to apply it. Get everything spotlessly clean, a steady bead all the way round on the sump, just the sump, not the engine block aswell. Assemble, torque to spec, and leave till the next day before you put any oil in it. As said It probably is the seal gone, Unless the sump has took a knock, old steel sumps used to rot through but yours will be ally so don’t rot. The grand could be labour if we’re talking about the main dealers and some motors may need major parts removed to fully access the sump.

What type of car is it?

Is it a hole in the sump or the gasket leaking ?
Hole. Garage reckons something hit it when driving.
Have a closer look with a candle…..

Main dealer?
Waste of bandwidth. Again.
A Grand for a sump? :lol:
Only made by Ford apparently. Can see they’re £600 from them direct!!
What car you driving?

2008 Focus ST. Nowt special.
Let’s not be hasty. If it’s a K12 Micra for instance you need to take the gearbox out. Also, if it’s an alloy sump not as cheap as the bits of tin of old.

Kind of car OP? Also, is it the sump, must’ve hit something/over tightened a sump plug for it to be the actual sump.

I’ve tried before with things like Aliweld and silicone and it never stops the leak completely. Worth a punt though.
Cheers. That’s the sort of thing I’m thinking of. Glue the bastard up.
I use permatex ultra, it’s the best you can buy imho.Don’t even think of skimping on sealer, just get the best as you only want to do the job once. The sump will need removed to apply it. Get everything spotlessly clean, a steady bead all the way round on the sump, just the sump, not the engine block aswell. Assemble, torque to spec, and leave till the next day before you put any oil in it. As said It probably is the seal gone, Unless the sump has took a knock, old steel sumps used to rot through but yours will be ally so don’t rot. The grand could be labour if we’re talking about the main dealers and some motors may need major parts removed to fully access the sump.

What type of car is it?
Cheers. See below. 👍

Last edited:

Back