Oil sump leaking

Hole. Garage reckons something hit it when driving.

Waste of bandwidth. Again.

Only made by Ford apparently. Can see they’re £600 from them direct!!

2008 Focus ST. Nowt special.

Cheers. That’s the sort of thing I’m thinking of. Glue the bastard up.

Cheers. See below. 👍
Iirc isn’t that the Volvo T5 engine? Been around a while now and I’d definitely consider a used sump to save a bit of cash. Should be a few on ebay.

Don’t bodge it up with glue. Do the job properly.

Last edited:

Iirc isn’t that the Volvo T5 engine? Been around a while now and I’d definitely consider a used sump to save a bit of cash. Should be a few on ebay.

Don’t bodge it up with glue. Do the job properly.
What about removing the sump, welding the hole then refit ?

You have to be insured to get the green card to get the car out of England :lol:
But you need spending money
But you need spending money
Seriously, if your car is fairly new and still worth a bit and you intend keeping it- it’s worth doing the job properly. You do not say if that price is from a Ford main dealer or not, but an independent garage will be cheaper. Get a proper sump and gasket and put it back to factory spec.

Last edited:
Always an option, if you can get someone with the skills to weld it correctly. If it’s been hit though there could be hairline cracks, would need looking at properly.
@yamar1 - Great find! This is the original part and that ebay one looks pretty much spot on!
I did ask the garage if they could weld it, but they said they don't do aluminium welding.
Yeah there's welders and there's welders 🤣🤣
I'm no expert in welding but I knew an older lad (lost contact with him now) was fantastic welder.
I had a transit once and was replacing the oil pressure sensor which was housed in the alloy oil cooler. I overtightened it and heard this horrible crack. Cracked it right through the female thread for the sensor. Oil was pissing out of the crack. New oil cooler was a fortune so I took it to this lad and he sorted it. I remember him saying " you won't find many people in the North East who have the gear or the ability to repair this " 🤣🤣 Only charged me a drink 10 or 20 quid or so.
Shame I ain't got his details any more mate otherwise I would have sent you them, he defo would sort that.
Might be worth hunting around to find someone who welds alloy ?

Hole. Garage reckons something hit it when driving.

Waste of bandwidth. Again.

Only made by Ford apparently. Can see they’re £600 from them direct!!

2008 Focus ST. Nowt special.

Cheers. That’s the sort of thing I’m thinking of. Glue the bastard up.

Cheers. See below. 👍

Get on the focustoc website and go in the regional north east section. Theres a lad on there called john_st3 you cant miss his posts, or just start a thread asking for his details.

He will sort you out. Chances are he will have a few sumps lying about. He will check the car over too to make sure it is actually that.

This lad is about as highly recomended as you can get.

look on ebay, you will get one there, have it sent to your house or garage, who can then fit it, do not use a dealer, it should be a simple job

Get on the focustoc website and go in the regional north east section. Theres a lad on there called john_st3 you cant miss his posts, or just start a thread asking for his details.

He will sort you out. Chances are he will have a few sumps lying about. He will check the car over too to make sure it is actually that.

This lad is about as highly recomended as you can get.
Thanks for the advice mate. I live down south tho. 👍
look on ebay, you will get one there, have it sent to your house or garage, who can then fit it, do not use a dealer, it should be a simple job
Aye. I bit the bullet & bought the one @yamar1 spotted on eBay. Couldn’t find any other cheaper tbh.

Last edited:
Nice one, eBay's great for rare parts. Glad i could help, at least its a perfect repair.
Thanks again for your advice mate. I did hesitate creating this post as I presumed it’d just get filled with daftie replies, but there’s been some genuinely decent info from folks on here. 👍

Thanks again for your advice mate. I did hesitate creating this post as I presumed it’d just get filled with daftie replies, but there’s been some genuinely decent info from folks on here. 👍
Never underestimate the power of the SMB. I have had brilliant recommendations for everything from online wiper plates to cycle tyres.

There are some brilliant people on here.

No problem. You will always get a few "jokers" but most of the time their are people on here who can help and usually do.

If it doesent have a separate gasket, Don't forget the permatex and hand it over with the sump. It will last the life of the car then

Last edited:
No problem. You will always get a few "jokers" but most of the time their are people on here who can help and usually do.

If it doesent have a separate gasket, Don't forget the permatex and hand it over with the sump. It will last the life of the car then
Do you rate Permatex higher than OE gaskets?

Back