October Voting - Leading Lines

Challenge Winner?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Time to vote in the October Challenge.

The theme was "Leading Lines"

Vote for as many as you like and you have 7 days in which to vote.

Pictures are here, you can vote here.

November's challenge keeps us looking at composition and may, or may not, be related to the Rule of Thirds challenge from earlier this year.

November's challenge, is "Effective Use of Negative Space"

There's a bit of background reading here and here, as well as a few decent examples here, but as ever it's your interpretation we're looking for.

Please read the RULES before entering.
Pictures must be taken between now and November 30th, happy shooting.

Last edited:

Re: SMB Photo Challenge - time to vote

Some great shots in there everyone. Love Tom Toms probably because I grew up playing in them dunes and it's a brilliantly taken simple shot so he gets my vote. Don't normally vote for two but Mainze's shot is very moving so he gets a vote as well:cool:

Some great shots in there everyone. Love Tom Toms probably because I grew up playing in them dunes and it's a brilliantly taken simple shot so he gets my vote. Don't normally vote for two but Mainze's shot is very moving so he gets a vote as well:cool:

Never seen this photo thread before :cool:
Like it :cool:

Never seen this photo thread before :cool:
Like it :cool:

Been down Shields beach today trying to get shots for this months competition. f***ing car is ridden with sand. :lol:

Voted already and here is how I decided on my vote. Nice to see some new photographers! Please take all comments in good faith as ever.

ICBYD Pretty colours, but not really any leading lines (now abbreviated to LL for ease).

One No LL, just lots of horizontal ones. Quite like the colouring though.

TomTomMacute I think this picture meets the challenge and is well executed. VOTE

Neil I like the idea but maybe not the final picture. Would have cropped probably the top quarter. Meets LL imo.

dSorco I like the composition, I don't like the bright colouring though. You have good LL going into the picture to meet the train, but as the train is approaching it fights with the LL somewhat? Not sure. It holds the attention which is always good.

Hue Jorgan The rail LL lead you into the picture but what for? What should I be looking at? The sunlight shafts negate the LL a tad too.

Tired Eyes I think LL has been well met, but your sky colour has let you down. Also those bright signs/rubbish bins fire hydrants to the right of the bridge detract from your final picture too.

matt1988 Your LL lead me into the picture and out the other side and I haven't seen anything on the way. Look at TomTom Macute's picture as it is similar but there is something to look at. Yours has too much out of focus too. I envy you your trip to India though. :)

Thank Heaven forshed7 Nice one. I can't make my mind up whether the person should be a little closer to be more interesting or if you have it exactly right and your eye is led right into the picture to find him/her. VOTE

Mainze I don't think this meets LL myself. The main bit to look at is right at the front, the LL takes you away from the main object and out of the picture. As a composition I think it is too central and the bottom has been chopped off. There is a picture there but I'm not sure you got it for this month's theme. :-(

The Great Soprendo Not one of my favourites of yours, it is more a picture of lines rather than LL, not keen on the colouring, though I'd guess the weather gave you a dull sky and you have perked it up somewhat (I'd have probably done the same!)

Cook The LL challenge is met I think (eyes are led to the lake) but I'm sorry, as a photo it does nothing for me and was probably 100% better in real life.

Steed Joint favourite for me for the month. Meets the LL challenge very well; colours and composition are great too. How to make a good picture from something not that interesting. VOTE

Clyde Nice picture and LL met. Just missed on a vote as the biggest (just off) centre light draws your eyes away from your LL.

Workid Met the challenge well, but I would like to see something, or the hint of something, at the bottom of those stairs.

Smoker Nice picture of the tree but I really can't see any LL anywhere.

Ian Hesford Baitbox Perfect LL. But I don't get the whirly thing on the bridge, it is just "why?". If I was giving 4 more votes you would have got one of them though, along with workid, amnorrageordie and clyde.

Madmackem Joint favourite with Steed's photograph. Good use of LL, well composed. Something in the water maybe? VOTE

Leicester Mackem Your leading lines were so good that they took me straight out of the picture and I never noticed what I was meant to look at!! :) (PS Are they old fashioned bike racks?)

U&E Tenuous LL I think. Too much of the picture is out of focus. Original idea.

Amnorrageordie Your eyes get suckered right in, and in this case I don't think it matters that there is nothing to look at at the end of the LL, the whole picture works.

Could easily have given 8-10 votes but have chosen just the four.

Time to vote in the October Challenge.

The theme was "Leading Lines"

Vote for as many as you like and you have 7 days in which to vote.

Pictures are here, you can vote here.

November's challenge keeps us looking at composition and may, or may not, be related to the Rule of Thirds challenge from earlier this year.

November's challenge, is "Effective Use of Negative Space"

There's a bit of background reading here and here, as well as a few decent examples here, but as ever it's your interpretation we're looking for.

Please read the RULES before entering.
Pictures must be taken between now and November 30th, happy shooting.

Logon or register to see this image
been practising my negative space shots :lol:

Just a thought like, but a walk halfway along the pier could have got you leading lines and negative space.

you're probably reet but with less than 30mins before picking the bairn up thought i'd stick to a few quick shots :lol:

Leicester Mackem gets my nod this month, cracking shot mate :cool: Well done to all, some great entries, as always Peachbum feedback much appreciated ;)

Thanks for the feedback peachbum. My first go at a competition and really enjoyed taking part. Also thanks to not spavin for bringing my attention to the competition on here through Flickr. Looking forward to this months competition now.

The Great Soprendo Not one of my favourites of yours, it is more a picture of lines rather than LL, not keen on the colouring, though I'd guess the weather gave you a dull sky and you have perked it up somewhat (I'd have probably done the same!).

Totally agree that it's nowt special. However just a word about the colouring - it has had no post-processing at all - I posted the scan straight from the negative. The effect you're seeing is from cross processing of E6 slide film in C41 (colour negative) chemicals. Tends to give colour shifts and high contrast results like this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cross_processing

Leceister Mackem should win this by a street, one of the best shots we've had on these compys

Leicester Mackem for me - great shot. There are some real corkers this month mind, I will hopefully get my camera back out and enter next month as with changing jobs and moving twice I haven't really had the time lately.

I voted for -

tom tom macute
neiluk1985
Hue Jorgan
Amnorrageordie

All met the theme well and were interesting to look at.

Voted already and here is how I decided on my vote. Nice to see some new photographers! Please take all comments in good faith as ever.

U&E Tenuous LL I think. Too much of the picture is out of focus. Original idea.

I was going for the out of focus look mind but yeah. Nothing great about the photo, just thought I'd try something different than wonky landscapes :lol:

My attempt this month will pay homage to the old adage "you get out what you put in". Which admittedly wasn't much :lol:

Four votes from me this month - I dont usually vote for this many but found it difficult to weedle them down. peachbum, leicestermackem, amnorrageordie and inhesfordsbaitbox. All good examples and interesting shots.

Thanks for the votes so far - most I've ever had :)

Here's who I voted for:

One: I disagree that it doesn't meet the brief. The explanation of leading lines says "(leading lines) are intentional or unintentional natural lines created in the space of the photograph and are used to create a visual narrative in the composition." I think that's exactly what they do in this picture. They don't have to go from 'front' to 'back'. It's an interesting composition, a bit abstract and looks like a colour field picture :) If I was going to be really picky, I'd have photoshopped the boat out, or is it a rock? Whatever...

Thankheavenforshed7: What makes it for me is the person standing up top, without which it would be a boring picture of some rocks. The person gives you the scale of it, and he/she is very well placed as far as the composition is concerned.

madmackem: I thought it was nicely framed and composed.

Thanks for the votes for me so far - I always enjoy the photo competitions on here, but felt a bit self-conscious about entering. I've only just begun to get back into photography again, and I got a Nikon 3100 for my birthday recently. The last SLR I owned was an OM1 back in the 80s!

Here's who I voted for:

One: I disagree that it doesn't meet the brief. The explanation of leading lines says "(leading lines) are intentional or unintentional natural lines created in the space of the photograph and are used to create a visual narrative in the composition." I think that's exactly what they do in this picture. They don't have to go from 'front' to 'back'. It's an interesting composition, a bit abstract and looks like a colour field picture :) If I was going to be really picky, I'd have photoshopped the boat out, or is it a rock? Whatever...

Thankheavenforshed7: What makes it for me is the person standing up top, without which it would be a boring picture of some rocks. The person gives you the scale of it, and he/she is very well placed as far as the composition is concerned.

madmackem: I thought it was nicely framed and composed.

Thanks for the votes for me so far - I always enjoy the photo competitions on here, but felt a bit self-conscious about entering. I've only just begun to get back into photography again, and I got a Nikon 3100 for my birthday recently. The last SLR I owned was an OM1 back in the 80s!

Still have the OM1? A real classic and quite desirable now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back