October 2020 - Getting worse across Europe.

I’m talking about people who had never had Covid and having it as the reason for death on their death certificates.

No doctor is going to put covid on a death certificate unless he is convinced that the patient has covid. He has very strict regulations about what he puts on a certificate and would be risking his career if he deliberately told lies. Why would any sane doctor want to risk his career just to put covid on a death certificate?

I read an article a couple of days ago comparing countries excess deaths and the UKs excess deaths was about the same as the Covid-19 deaths. Russia by comparison had 70k Covid-19 deaths and over 300k excess deaths.

It would appear our figures more accurately record Covid-19 deaths.

I read an article a couple of days ago comparing countries excess deaths and the UKs excess deaths was about the same as the Covid-19 deaths. Russia by comparison had 70k Covid-19 deaths and over 300k excess deaths.

It would appear our figures more accurately record Covid-19 deaths.
Bit worrying what killed the extra 100000 in the UK as well if it wasn’t COVID!

What’s Portugal got to do with Israel? Are you just on an anti-UK rant and throwing the baby out with the bath water? The current UK government have got plenty wrong so there is no need to twist the narrative. The evidence is increasing that the UK vaccination programme is going very well. The main reason for that is the infrastructure within the NHS, other medical support areas, the military and to a degree UK research. All of the above are things the tories are ideologically opposed to and have systematically over decades tried to dismantle. The Oxford research team is in place directly because of funding and support from the last time labour were in government. The one dose strategy -although controversial and risky - did have some scientific basis. Additionally it looks like the government have been interfering in the incredible rates of vaccination because certain areas - mostly more traditionally left leaning - were getting ahead. And that interfering simply reduced the overall number of vaccinations achieved for a couple of weeks.
Whatever happened with the AZ vaccine and the EU it is clear that certain countries and politicians have muddied the waters in order to politically cover their arses. This is now going to result in deaths that did not have to happen. The EU via the EMA approved the AZ vaccine for all adults.
In summary - not everything that happens in the UK is bad and not everything that happens in the other European countries is good.
Oh - btw I don’t live in the UK.
There's no need to have a anti tory rant mate,and btw iam very happy the UK roll out is going very well,and have stated the UK was right to get started ASAP and the EU needs to get moving faster.

"For diehard Remoaners like me, all this endless good news about jabs and carbon emissions is pretty hard to take".

Meanwhile the majority of Germans will feel good to be living in a county with a death rate of 841 per million population.

Portugal's barely stated vaccinating,its cases and death total yesterday bettered the UKs yesterday,its 7 day number of cases is better than the UKs,deaths are only slightly higher,its only 5-6 weeks into lock down,the UK is 5 months in and has at least a months head start in vaccinations.
portugal and the uk's figures aren't that much different atm. is it still the case where it's mostly in the north and around lisbon?

"For diehard Remoaners like me, all this endless good news about jabs and carbon emissions is pretty hard to take".

It’s quite important to dig behind the things that are going well to see why it is.
I posted one of the vaccine threads just now my thoughts on the vaccine program. After making a complete bollocks of lockdowns and PPE the vaccine programme has been left in the hands of professionals. The only blip in numbers happened when the government interfered because some areas in the north were ahead of London and the SE and the result of that was just an overall slowing of vaccinations. Hopefully they have now been told to keep their noses out of the implementation side as numbers have gone back up. The research for the vaccine by the Oxford team was as a direct result of government intervention to support R and D set up under Peter Mandelson. Likewise the UKs relative success in renewable energy is a result of government intervention in the electricity industry. The rate of increase was impacted by Tory planning rules because Daily Mail readers didn’t like the look of wind turbines and would rather black children in Africa died as a result of climate change than have their view slightly impacted.
I hope the Tory fuckwits have realized that appropriate state intervention is good and stop giving their side boy mates billions of tax payers money to provide non existent goods and services.

portugal and the uk's figures aren't that much different atm. is it still the case where it's mostly in the north and around lisbon?
Yes the norths always been the worst,with Lisbon usually not far behind,its where the vast majority of the population live so to be expected.Still see the odd more remote area's on TV having surges but generally they are doing better.The restrictions were a little less severe at times in the area's doing better but iam sure its the same everywhere now.Btw have the flights from the UK started appearing yet.

No doctor is going to put covid on a death certificate unless he is convinced that the patient has covid. He has very strict regulations about what he puts on a certificate and would be risking his career if he deliberately told lies. Why would any sane doctor want to risk his career just to put covid on a death certificate?
You would think that wouldn’t you ? I’m sure the two nursing home managers who were complaining about it last year weren’t liars. I know for a fact a family friend who is up in arms about it now is not a liar. Her mother has recently passed and the cause of death was given as Pneumonia/ Covid. She has never had Covid.

Meanwhile the majority of Germans will feel good to be living in a county with a death rate of 841 per million population.
In the last week UK infections have reduced by 28% and Germany’s increased by 7%. The UK has carried out 50% more tests per person than Germany. I’m also not certain about Germany’s excess death rate but I will take a look.

Yes the norths always been the worst,with Lisbon usually not far behind,its where the vast majority of the population live so to be expected.Still see the odd more remote area's on TV having surges but generally they are doing better.The restrictions were a little less severe at times in the area's doing better but iam sure its the same everywhere now.Btw have the flights from the UK started appearing yet.

no but we can just hope for better things soon. there have been people flying via madrid or seville but the quarantine on return is a no no for us. we've a few flight for later in the year so we've got our fingers crossed.
we get email updates from lagoa council and there have been a few sporadic outbreaks but few and far between. i believe travel outside the council areas is still banned.

Was just looking for that! And only just realized that you can expand the table. Obviously there are other variables but at that point It suggests a 6% under reporting in Germany and a 6% over reporting in the UK. When you consider the deteriorating situation in Germany and the improving situation in the UK - yesterday’s case numbers were I believe the first time Germany’s was above the UKs - then it’s not certain how it will end up.
Of course the UK completely fucked it up in the early days resulting in 1000s of deaths particularly by not protecting care homes.

In the last week UK infections have reduced by 28% and Germany’s increased by 7%. The UK has carried out 50% more tests per person than Germany. I’m also not certain about Germany’s excess death rate but I will take a look.
Just had a quick peep at the countries with the high testing figures and they are generally the ones with the high deaths per million population figures,UK,USA,CZ,Belgium.

Was just looking for that! And only just realized that you can expand the table. Obviously there are other variables but at that point It suggests a 6% under reporting in Germany and a 6% over reporting in the UK. When you consider the deteriorating situation in Germany and the improving situation in the UK - yesterday’s case numbers were I believe the first time Germany’s was above the UKs - then it’s not certain how it will end up.
Of course the UK completely fucked it up in the early days resulting in 1000s of deaths particularly by not protecting care homes.

Strange isn’t it the more we understand about the virus the better the uk performs and the worse germany performs

Just had a quick peep at the countries with the high testing figures and they are generally the ones with the high deaths per million population figures,UK,USA,CZ,Belgium.
Interestingly if you compare Germany to countries with a similar reported death rate then there testing is behind Georgia, Ireland and Latvia.
Strange isn’t it the more we understand about the virus the better the uk performs and the worse germany performs
The only upside of those early unnecessary deaths in the UK is the development of treatment options that will be contributing to keeping death rates lower in lots of other countries. Not much of a consolation though.

Last edited:
Interestingly if you compare Germany to countries with a similar reported death rate then there testing is behind Georgia, Ireland and Latvia.
Ive read on here their track and trace is meant to be the dogs bollocks,not sure how true that is but wasnt the UKs an expensive flop?

Back