October 2020 - Getting worse across Europe.

Supporting the politicians who’ve helped them maximise their profits by trashing a major competitor

Rubbish. AZ tried to break into the vaccine market where they had no experience and failed because of:

1. First of all not carrying out complete and reliable testing to include all aspects of their supply chain (they never achieved approval in the US because of this)
2. Their biggest problem of being an unreliable delivery partner. They let down everybody on promised deliveries (including the UK).
3. The problem with the dangerous blood clotting in younger age groups which was just bad luck.

However because of reason 3 it is easy to predict that no developed country will be likely to use the current AZ vaccine in 2022 (unless every other vaccine available in bulk proves to have equally serious side effects).

Rubbish. AZ tried to break into the vaccine market where they had no experience and failed because of:

1. First of all not carrying out complete and reliable testing to include all aspects of their supply chain (they never achieved approval in the US because of this)
2. Their biggest problem of being an unreliable delivery partner. They let down everybody on promised deliveries (including the UK).
3. The problem with the dangerous blood clotting in younger age groups which was just bad luck.

However because of reason 3 it is easy to predict that no developed country will be likely to use the current AZ vaccine in 2022 (unless every other vaccine available in bulk proves to have equally serious side effects).
2022,?!!?

I'm quite hopeful for a Spanish holiday in July without restrictions, excellent news about Pfizer :)
I’d settle right now for being hopeful of a vaccine😂. As for holidays I think I won’t be going abroad with my lass till 2022 at the earliest. We’ve still not made plans either for a foreign or domestic holiday. If I do go it will be to the place in the South Lakes me and my parents have visited since I left school.

My lasses mum did suggest something like at the end of this year or next year driving in her new car to France with me, my lass and her stepdad, staying over for about 2-3 nights and having 10 days in Spain. But it was a suggestion. And given what she is asking she was probably pissed.

A big problem is I just don’t have much confidence in Europeans enough right now if the news is to be believed regarding their handling of the vaccination programme. It’s even worse than ours. Especially the French. How can we be sure, due to their almost prehistoric way of thinking, Europe is a place that will have a handle on Covid enough to feel safe travelling through as early as July?

I’d settle right now for being hopeful of a vaccine😂. As for holidays I think I won’t be going abroad with my lass till 2022 at the earliest. We’ve still not made plans either for a foreign or domestic holiday. If I do go it will be to the place in the South Lakes me and my parents have visited since I left school.

My lasses mum did suggest something like at the end of this year or next year driving in her new car to France with me, my lass and her stepdad, staying over for about 2-3 nights and having 10 days in Spain. But it was a suggestion. And given what she is asking she was probably pissed.

A big problem is I just don’t have much confidence in Europeans enough right now if the news is to be believed regarding their handling of the vaccination programme. It’s even worse than ours. Especially the French. How can we be sure, due to their almost prehistoric way of thinking, Europe is a place that will have a handle on Covid enough to feel safe travelling through as early as July?
Keighley is nice at this time of year. If you fancy something more glamorous you could opt for Halifax or Wakefield.

Keighley is nice at this time of year. If you fancy something more glamorous you could opt for Halifax or Wakefield.
I am a Yorkshireman at heart too. I love all of Yorkshire. I wouldn’t mind going to a sleepy place like Haworth - or somewhere like it. I just love the smoke stained stone. I could have a break there. Waking up to church bells in a building once owned by some fat Victorian mill owner with a huge moustache. Nice.

You should have a weekly column in the gazette. Very funny.

Saltaire it should be then, it would be perfect for u
I saw it on telly last night. That Antiques Road Trip programme. When my parents and I went to the South Lakes we planned a trip to Saltaire. It's only just over an hour compared to the 2 from my place. The mill place Titus Salt owned is home to a huge antiques center we had planned. I have an interest in early solid silver. I know I have a toddy ladle from 1763 I think I have a piece that is a bit earlier. I've always wanted to go there.

Reports coming in that the Portimao council area plus three others on the Algarve are going back into full lockdown from tomorrow - 'state of emergency' declared that will be reviewed in two weeks as they're only allowed to declare such a a thing for periods of two weeks at a time.

'State of emergency' makes it sound worse than it actually is - it's apparently the terminology used over there whenever any kind of special measures are put in place.

Saltaire it should be then, it would be perfect for u
“Satire” might be more appropriate .......
Reports coming in that the Portimao council area plus three others on the Algarve are going back into full lockdown from tomorrow - 'state of emergency' declared that will be reviewed in two weeks as they're only allowed to declare such a a thing for periods of two weeks at a time.

'State of emergency' makes it sound worse than it actually is - it's apparently the terminology used over there whenever any kind of special measures are put in place.
Bang ! How the U.K. government are going to predict which “ green light “ holiday destinations are likely to be safe from unexpected lockdown is almost impossible.

Last edited:

Failed ? You call producing a vax at a fraction of the cost of others that has been successfully used on millions and millions of people ( and will continue to do so ) failure? Mate you have bombarded this board with pro Eu shite for weeks and now you are scraping the bottom of your empty barrel.

Failed ? You call producing a vax at a fraction of the cost of others that has been successfully used on millions and millions of people ( and will continue to do so ) failure? Mate you have bombarded this board with pro Eu shite for weeks and now you are scraping the bottom of your empty barrel.
He's suffering from a bad dose of vaccine nationalism.

Bang ! How the U.K. government are going to predict which “ green light “ holiday destinations are likely to be safe from unexpected lockdown is almost impossible
My missus is on one of the local ex-pat forums over there and the consensus is that this a determined push to get the numbers as low as possible to ensure the Algarve gets the 'Green light' from the UK government.

Numbers aren't bad over there at the minute so it could be right.

Could also be a load of bollocks as well.

My missus is on one of the local ex-pat forums over there and the consensus is that this a determined push to get the numbers as low as possible to ensure the Algarve gets the 'Green light' from the UK government.

Numbers aren't bad over there at the minute so it could be right.

Could also be a load of bollocks as well.

Personally I’d be nervous of travelling to Portugal what ever they say because of their connections to Brazil

Norway looking to ban AZ now.
Chances of CVT

Astrazeneca: 5 in a million
Pfizer/Moderna: 4 in a million

Seems a bit drastic.

When you consider Pfizer are now charging the EU €19 per dose, compared to AZ's non-profit €3 per dose, it makes you wonder if those pushing this narrative have any vested interests.

They pretty much have, haven't they?

Last edited:

I think you guys don't understand big business so I will try to lay it out for you simply here. AZ is just another big pharma and its best not to get emotionally involved. They are in the game to make money and that includes Pfizer and the rest of them in case you think I am favouring any others because of "pro EU shite" as you so delicately put it.

Oxford originally favoured Merck as a delivery partner for the vaccine the Oxford team developed. Merck are one of the big 4 vaccine makers. The deal stalled and AZ saw their chance to move into the lucrative vaccine market so they signed up to Oxfords terms. The terms included supplying vaccine at cost price to developed countries while the pandemic remained a pandemic and in perpetuity for poorer nations. Thats undoubtedly a good thing but it was simply the price that AZ was prepared to pay to break into the vaccine market. In the long term they could expect large profits (billions annually) in supplying the booster doses that will be needed in the developed world for years going forward.

Unfortunately for AZ as they were new to vaccine making they haven't been able to scale to the production of the billions of vaccines required for the entire world population. Then they had the bad luck with the serious blood clotting side effects which will rule out this vaccine as a long term success when there are alternatives available. These are just the facts of the situation so there is no point in killing the messenger. I am not happy that any vaccine or vaccine maker doesn't succeed as the more the better for the world, particularly the less developed world where the AZ agreement on supplying at cost was great news.

Back