O’Nein

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who’s form hasn’t had peaks and troughs throughout season?
Couldn’t understand how he was discarded so quickly.
Him and McGeady need to start every game.

He played midfield against sheff wed and Carlisle and they were two of worst displays I ve seen in a Sunderland shirt.

That was until Baldwin and dunne last night anyway :eek:

Neither of those were in the league though ;)

Thought he looked awful in midfield in that early part of the season but since he got his first goal at Shrewsbury he's generally had a positive impact there whenever he's come on as a sub but Ross clearly doesn't trust him as a midfield starter.

Think Next game I would go:

McLaughlin

Matthews
ozturk
Flanagan
James

Leadbitter
Mcgeouch

Maguire
Onien
McGeady

Grigg

Yes I know ozturk was absolute cack at the start of the season but last few times he’s played he’s looked decent, and tbf last night the centre halves were embarrassing.

Interesting line up, i like both the midfield and attacking players.. plenty of pace and creativity.

It's amazing how Honeyman polarizes opinion. I honestly thought he was dreadful last night apart from his goal. Rather than throwing insults like some posters prefer I'll highlight just why I thought he was poor.
1. He rarely positions himself to receive a pass from anyone in the back 4. When he is in a position to receive the ball from the back line I counted 8 separate occasions just in the second half when he turned his back on the ball so he couldn't receive the pass.
2. He simply doesn't work as hard as everyone says. I bet he covers kms in the game but rarely was it useful last night, goal apart. 4 times during the second half his man ran away from him towards our goal. On 3 of those occasions he simply didn't bother to run after them and stood still.
3. His passing in advanced positions isn't incisive. His assist record supports this, he simply doesn't create chances.
4. Tackling, he cant. Sometimes he'll steal the ball away which is great but usually he is the wrong side of the man and unable to challenge.
5. Leadership, other than a bit of clapping I rarely see him talking to other players. In fact last night I saw more instruction coming from Leadbitter and O'Nien.

I accept these are my opinions based upon what I saw last night, some might disagree, some might not. I saw more in an attacking sense from O'Nien and he was at full back! Any examples of positive contributions he made would be welcome, goal apart I saw almost none. I really hope I'm missing something and he rams it down my throat next game, unfortunately I think I've summed him up. Please refrain from insults and name calling. Give some examples.

Is he a little wasted playing at right back? Involved in a lot of good things last night, gets forward a lot, could have won the game playing where you would imagine a forward would have been.

I think Ross is struggling to work out what his best midfield is. We have Honeyman, Leadbitter, Power, McGeouch, Cattermole all battling for two spots in the team. We have several attacking options now that Ross needs to get right with Morgan, Gooch, Watmore, Maguire, McGeady and whether Wyke and Grigg start. Is this the problem? We haven’t had same line up for weeks due to injuries or changes and the manager doesn’t know himself who to pick?
09 has to start as the attacking midfielder whatever formation we use. Honeyman for all his effort is not the answer though I would play him on the right side of midfield where he played well last season.

Start of season I wasn't too sure on Onien. Everything too rushed and erratic. He's come on loads imo and now quite composed on the ball, picks the right pass and turned into one of our best players. He definitely deserves a chance in midfield, but that would mean dropping Honeyman. No brainer for me, but can't see it bar injury or fatigue after coming back from injury.
Honeyman could be moved out wide right and play O9 in midfield. Gooch has been completely gash for a while now.

Grigg
Mcgeady O'nien Maguire
Honeyman leadbitter
Oviedo Flanagan Baldwin Matthews
McLaughlin
This how we should line up for the rest of the season. Toss of the coin between Baldwin and dunne. Both were hopeless last night
Honeyman is useless playing in the centre alongside Leadbitter, last night he offered nothing defensively so Leadbitter had to do his work. Personally, I think O’Nien would work better in that role as he’d work hard defensively and offensively.

Is he a little wasted playing at right back? Involved in a lot of good things last night, gets forward a lot, could have won the game playing where you would imagine a forward would have been.

I think Ross is struggling to work out what his best midfield is. We have Honeyman, Leadbitter, Power, McGeouch, Cattermole all battling for two spots in the team. We have several attacking options now that Ross needs to get right with Morgan, Gooch, Watmore, Maguire, McGeady and whether Wyke and Grigg start. Is this the problem? We haven’t had same line up for weeks due to injuries or changes and the manager doesn’t know himself who to pick?

He isn't a full back

O’Nien has done nothing in midfield to suggest he should start there
When has he had the chance? His overall improvement, performances in the team and 2 player of the month awards, whilst playing out of position, would say he absolutely deserves a chance in the middle.

Grigg
Mcgeady O'nien Maguire
Honeyman leadbitter
Oviedo Flanagan Baldwin Matthews
McLaughlin
This how we should line up for the rest of the season. Toss of the coin between Baldwin and dunne. Both were hopeless last night
Last night showed what we need to be doing with the 3 behind the striker. Onien, although would do a better job of it than Honeyman, isn't what we need imo in that position. One of the 2 in the middle, absolutely.

Last edited:
He looked good against man city u21s

There teams average age was 17

When has he had the chance? His overall improvement, performances in the team and 2 player of the month awards, whilst playing out of position, would say he absolutely deserves a chance in the middle.

Last night showed what we need to be doing with the 3 behind the striker. Onien, although would do a better job of it than Honeyman, isn't what we need imo in that position. One of the 2 in the middle, absolutely.

So because he’s done ok at right back we should play him centre mid?

There teams average age was 17

So because he’s done ok at right back we should play him centre mid?
He's a midfielder doing a job at right back. He's improved massively as a player and won player of the month twice. No one is doing enough in midfield to not get his chance. By your reckoning he should never play there then :lol:

He's a midfielder doing a job at right back. He's improved massively as a player and won player of the month twice. No one is doing enough in midfield to not get his chance. By your reckoning he should never play there then :lol:

No he won a player of the month by Sunderland fans

Don’t be daft

Centre forward - he tends to hit the net when he gets a chance ;)

Not a good fullback overall (he’s an attacking midfielder so it’s not surprising).

He puts 110% effort in which is commendable but he should be played as a box to box midfielder or attacking midfielder. Not a full back.

It's amazing how Honeyman polarizes opinion. I honestly thought he was dreadful last night apart from his goal. Rather than throwing insults like some posters prefer I'll highlight just why I thought he was poor.
1. He rarely positions himself to receive a pass from anyone in the back 4. When he is in a position to receive the ball from the back line I counted 8 separate occasions just in the second half when he turned his back on the ball so he couldn't receive the pass.
2. He simply doesn't work as hard as everyone says. I bet he covers kms in the game but rarely was it useful last night, goal apart. 4 times during the second half his man ran away from him towards our goal. On 3 of those occasions he simply didn't bother to run after them and stood still.
3. His passing in advanced positions isn't incisive. His assist record supports this, he simply doesn't create chances.
4. Tackling, he cant. Sometimes he'll steal the ball away which is great but usually he is the wrong side of the man and unable to challenge.
5. Leadership, other than a bit of clapping I rarely see him talking to other players. In fact last night I saw more instruction coming from Leadbitter and O'Nien.

I accept these are my opinions based upon what I saw last night, some might disagree, some might not. I saw more in an attacking sense from O'Nien and he was at full back! Any examples of positive contributions he made would be welcome, goal apart I saw almost none. I really hope I'm missing something and he rams it down my throat next game, unfortunately I think I've summed him up. Please refrain from insults and name calling. Give some examples.

honeyman made a few important tackles/ interceptions late on in the game ,
Yes he also scored but for about 80 mins he did nowt !

can’t afford to carry a player like that in midfield

Honeyman covered every single blade of grass on Friday. If you didn't see that you weren't watching.

For me the central midfielders should be Leadbitter, Honeyman and 09, with McGeady, Maguire and Grigg ahead of them. That is a two goal a game team easily. It has movement, energy and an eye for a goal.

Flanagan needs to come back in at the back. I think we are suffering having to try to integrate Dunne at the moment. But in the end he may be more reliable than Baldwin I suppose.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back